squier deluxe jazzmaster

Discussion in 'Squier Offset Guitars' started by TheKurdtz, Oct 1, 2017.

1. TheKurdtz

TheKurdtz Squier Talker

Sep 13, 2017
    Holland
    on my quest for a new squier geetar i have come across this beaut, has anyone played one? i can make a reservation at my local guitar store to check it out, but i want to hear some opinions first, i'm looking for the trem variant but i wonder if i can play some grunge/sonic youth with it.

Attached Files:

2. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Squier-holic

Oct 5, 2014
    Gilbert, AZ
    I tried the hardtail, looking for a trem version. Love the neck, but I didn't really turn up or try to dial in the plugged in sound.

With p90-style pickups, which internet says are supposed to be the same as the J.Mascis, I don't see why you can't use them for noise-making :D

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  3. Mr Bigglesworth

Mr Bigglesworth Squier Talker

Oct 5, 2017
    Middle of Mt
    Stupid question here,total newbee. What was it with the neck that you loved?
    I've been playing guitars at the local shop. I had a hard time getting pinky on low e and couldn't figure our why until later. Today I tried a VM Jazzmaster and Strat, I really liked the feel of the JM neck, it was slim enough to allow me to hit the stretchy chords.
    Thanks, MikeB

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  4. TheKurdtz

TheKurdtz Squier Talker

Sep 13, 2017
    Holland
    played it last week couldn't buy it on the spot because it was battered in shipping it to them, they also had a bullet mustang which i played a bit longer i've pinned down which one i want, now i have just gotsa get some money on the bank (had a scooter accident so i had to buy a new one and get it insured etc.)

5. VealCutlet

VealCutlet Squier Talker

Aug 9, 2011
    Brookyn, NYC
    I like this new Deluxe JM and its "Iron Man" color scheme!

I played a non-trem version a few weeks ago and it sounded/felt very close to the J. Mascis JM (which I have somehow avoided buying for years despite really wanting one.) The PUPs are the same JM-shaped P-90s (see the screw polepieces) that are on the JM JM. Not sure if they're exact, but very similar to my ears.

I played it through the mid and high gain "structures" on a Bassbreaker 15 and it sounded great to me for the sounds you're looking for. If your shop doesn't have one, try the JM JM for comparison.