Squier CV quality

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by Squierplayer1, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Squierplayer1

Squierplayer1 Squier-Meister

Feb 10, 2019
    so cal
    I always rave about the quality of the classic vibe line. And i have 2 which are flawless and absolute jems. Today however i saw a 60s CV strat for $200 and had to grab it. Bought it at a meeting place and didn't have time to look it over, as it was 103 and humid and i was on a motorcycle and dying to get home. So thinking CVs are very consistent i gave it a once over with the eyeballs and bought it. At home i immediately noticed what i didn't see during the quick once over. You wanna talk incredibly lame build quality, this is the worse i have seen to date. The second fret is installed on a slant ! So what seemed like a tiny amount for a mint CV 60s strat turned out to be a huge loss because i can't in good conscience sell it like that. So i'm out $200, not a small amount for someone living on SS.

fadetoz, Taurus, fattboyzz and 2 others like this.
  2. Wow … that's the first I've ever heard of a CV that slipped thru QC. Curious … you got any pics?

Cheers, Barrie.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  3. RegularJim

RegularJim Squier-Meister

Dec 30, 2017
    Illiconsin, Wisinois
    Maybe you can find a decent used neck for it. Hope it works out!

4. Squierplayer1

Feb 10, 2019
    so cal
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    duggerh, Dr Improbable, daan and 3 others like this.
  5. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

I'll be darn - I ain't never seen that ? totally sucks - there's some low cost necks on here - from time to time to minimize the loss ! sorry man ! !

ps - what color ?

6. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

Nov 24, 2018
    Crappie fishing.
    Wow, that's different, I've never seen that before.

7. John Slinger

John Slinger Squier-Meister

Apr 26, 2019
    Greenville
    I will make it a 3rd, never seen that.

8. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Maybe you found the holy grail neck. The one whose error creates the perfect Tone lol. Nevermind. Yeah that is an odd one for sure. Bummer on the neck.

9. Fasteddie42

Fasteddie42 Squier Talker

Aug 3, 2018
    Tip of the mitt
    Is this one of the new Indonesian CV's or the Chinese made?

10. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Wow. Sorry that it turned out that way, Maybe you can part out the rest of the guitar to recoup some of your loss.

11. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I'm gonna ask the question no one else has yet. I'm assuming the fret spacing is correct on the bass side, and skewed on the treble side (at least that's how it looks). But, is it skewed far enough to affect the tuning of notes at the 2nd fret? If so, a good tech could remove the fret, fill the slot, cut a new slot, and reseat the fret properly for a reasonable cost.

Taurus, Viking, drewcp and 2 others like this.
  12. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Oh man. Been there, done that. Sometimes I'm in such a rush that I don't look over the instrument well enough. Then again, there's never enough time to comb through an instrument before we buy.

How about an email to Fender with a picture? You never know ....

Kenneth Mountain and SoundDesign like this.
  13. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

I thought I was going cross-eyed there for a second. Yikes... :(

14. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    It's the Chinese one. The only Indonesian one so far is the 70's one, the replacements for the Chinese models aren't coming until NAMM next month.

15. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    Have you tried contacting Fender customer service about this?

16. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    With 2 flawless in the fold, perhaps a "designated slide" guitar would be an option.

duggerh and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  17. Squierplayer1

Feb 10, 2019
    so cal
    Yes, China. And happily the guy came thru and showed he was a stand up guy. He offered to do a refund or refund 1/2 and let me keep it. I opted for the 1/2 because i figured i have seen these necks at $100 and even a bit less now and then. And even if i have to pay $150 thats still a CV 60s in mint condition for $250 which is totally reasonable. Not the crazy cheap $200 it was, but still good. I'll just stash it and hold out for a deal and maybe end up with a $200 60s after all. And i can also sell the body for the other $100 easily i believe because it came with a brand new fender gig bag and several sets of strings. I'm sure someone would buy the fully loaded body with bag for a C note. But i'll hold out for a neck and see if i can get one for $100. Oh, and yes, i called fender and they couldn't care less. They agreed the warranty period is to insure it was not something that happened due to the customer, but this is an obvious china factory screw up and QC screw up on fender's part and they should morally make good on it. So much for fender customer support. In any case, Thanks to the seller for doing the right thing. i'm relieved.

kenneth, duggerh, Jim Belaye and 12 others like this.
  18. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

great news ! !

duggerh, Taurus and Dr Improbable like this.
  19. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York

This is good to hear. It would have never happened in NYC. I tend to forget that there are decent people out there.

But still ... give an email to Fender and let them know.

duggerh, Taurus, brians and 2 others like this.
  20. JurnyWannaBe

JurnyWannaBe Squier-Meister

Feb 14, 2019
    Ugghh....that makes my brain hurt to look at it :eek:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice