Wanted Squier Classic Vibe 50's strat pickups

Discussion in 'Misc. For Sale, Trade or Wanted' started by Robbmonster, May 20, 2020.

1. Robbmonster

Robbmonster Squier-holic

Looking for a set of these. NOT the current 'Fender designed alnico' ones, but the OG alnico III ones.

Had a set a while ago, sold the guitar they lived in, and regret it.

They would be getting shipped to Australia.

I'm curious to hear prices :)

Las Palmas Norte likes this.
  2. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Search for Tonerider Surfari on Ebay and you'll find that there's a shop in Australia that has them. This is the same pickups as the ones you're looking for except with cloth hookup wires instead of teflon

-r3- likes this.
  3. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Squier-Axpert

Dec 14, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Well Tonerider made the pickups for the production so maybe just look into prices on those https://tonerider.com/

Fendrix69 likes this.
  4. Robbmonster

Robbmonster Squier-holic

The Toneriders listed in Australia are waaaay more than I'd be willing to pay (AUD $185).

Stratosphere used to have the Squier 'version' for about AUD $50.

But yeah, I'm searching for options...

5. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Since they've been discontinued, those cheaper Squier versions of those pickups have virtually disappeared on Ebay, Reverb, and other online sites, so good luck. They now appear very infrequently. Our own @MrYeats has his A3s for $36. And our own @Ken Rose may have A3s also.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  6. Robbmonster

Robbmonster Squier-holic

Yup, almost impossible to find, hence why I'm asking here. Figured maybe someone would have a set laying around in a box in a closet someplace :)

I can get a set of Surfari's for AUD$139, which is pretty acceptable really. Might end up doing that after I get my car serviced (priorities!)

DougMen likes this.
  7. Last edited: May 21, 2020
  8. Ace38

Ace38 Squier-holic

Jul 19, 2016
    Tulsa, OK.
    Just to clear things up...Tonerider didn't "make" the pickups. They were made in the same factory to the same specs however. Fender has long since given up openly putting other branded pickups in their guitars, unless you're Seymour Duncan.

drewcp likes this.
  9. johnnybloo13

johnnybloo13 Squier-Meister

Mar 4, 2012
    Detroit
    If you are stuck and still can't find them, here are three great alternatives. I have all three.

Of course, Rose Pickups
    Bootstrap Pickups Made in Ohio, Custom set cost me $59
    Fatpups

I hope you find what you are looking for, I have had great success with each of these builders.

Robbmonster, archiestone and Viking like this.
  10. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    We all know that, we just call them "Tonerider" because it's easier than calling them "tonerider-equivalent" or "tonerider-spec" or whatever, and to distinguish them from the current CV Strat pickups. And Fender's own pickups are just as good as any at any price. I've had Dimarzios and Duncans, and others, and I like the Yosemite pickups in my Peeformer Strat as much or more than any of them.

Robbmonster likes this.
  11. Robbmonster

Robbmonster Squier-holic

I appreciate all the replies, I'll take a look at the various options :)

AllroyPA likes this.
  12. crowtee

crowtee Squier-Meister

Nov 29, 2018
    utah
    Q pickups, hand wound in Croatia he copies a lot of vintage and fender pups. Although I ordered from his reverb site and he can’t ship to the US right now due to covid. He is also on eBay, super nice guy.

mike

Robbmonster likes this.
  13. Robbmonster

Robbmonster Squier-holic

Those Bootstraps are the clubhouse leader for now. Alnico III, flat polepieces, affordable price.

Thanks for mentioning it :)

johnnybloo13 and drewcp like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice