Squier Bullet Tone Circuit

Discussion in 'Squier Offset Guitars' started by RegularJim, May 15, 2018.

1. RegularJim

RegularJim Squier-Meister

Dec 30, 2017
    Illiconsin, Wisinois
    Hi folks,

Just acquired a new Imperial Blue Bullet Mustang. Cool guitar. I noticed today that the tone knob has no effect on sound unless the volume knob is turned all the way up. Is this normal, or is there a wiring flaw?

Thanks!

so1om and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  2. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    I think that something is amiss with the pot or wiring. You should be able to hear the sound become muted/bassy/muffled (insert your adjective here) when going from one extreme to the other.

dbrian66 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  3. RegularJim

Dec 30, 2017
    Illiconsin, Wisinois
    The volume works great. The tone works great as long as the volume is 100% . Does anything stand out as wrong here?

1.PNG

so1om and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  4. RegularJim

Dec 30, 2017
    Illiconsin, Wisinois
    SOLVED!

The wire to from the volume to the tone was connected to the "wide open" lug on the volume pot, instead of directly to the output of the switch.

1.PNG

5. RegularJim

Dec 30, 2017
    Illiconsin, Wisinois
    Now it's really solved. My last "solution" made the volume pot wonky. Here is the real solution. You'd think I'd be better at this by now! You'd also think they'd send you a guitar that's wired correctly. Both pots are "A250". Shouldn't the volume be a "B250"? Come to think of it, this thing has humbuckers. Shouldn't they be 5o0K?

1.PNG

so1om likes this.
  6. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    Glad you got it figured out. That’s crazy that a brand new guitar was wired up wrong.

7. rbh32

rbh32 Squier Talker

Feb 12, 2018
    Valley, AL
    I’ll have to look at my wiring when I get around to changing my pots. Glad you caught that and let us know. Thanks. And yes, I think it should be 500k pots too.

8. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Glad it worked out.

Let's say you were blind and you didn't know if is said 250, 500, 1000000000. How does it sound?

one of my quirks is getting a guitar.. "hey.. how does this sound? great, cool. let me play." (I sound like Joe Walsh..)

I am not sure of the pot values in my HH bullet strat (one vol, 2 tones) but I like the range it gets.

Try it out for a while and then see what others are saying about pot values. it may be an insignificant issue.

I will say that I absolutely love the odd clean sound of these humbuckers compared to Gibson T tops and the humbuckers in the Epiphones. Humbuckers... but different.

VealCutlet and RegularJim like this.
  9. RegularJim

Dec 30, 2017
    Illiconsin, Wisinois

It's probably all for the best that they're 250's. As it is, it's very bright and trebly. 500's would make is even more so, right?

so1om likes this.
  10. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Likely.. which may be the key to why I like mine? So if it suits your needs, run with it! That Mustang HH you have is a great one.

11. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-Nut

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    Yeah, I don’t have this issue with the tone not working on my mustang HH either. Must have just been a goof from the factory. As far as pot values go, I don’t know what to think. I feel like the neck pickup is a little too dark, so 500k’s would help that out...but the bridge is already so spanky, don’t know how much brighter it would get too.

Last edited: May 16, 2018