Squier bullet telecaster tone effect ?

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by Mr Jyde, Jan 12, 2019 at 10:09 PM.

1. Mr Jyde

Mr Jyde Squier Talker

Dec 15, 2018
    USA
    On my bullet telecaster, theres very little if any tone effect when turning the tone knob. The volume knob is great. Is it just weak stock electronics ?......thank you

2. RegularJim

RegularJim Squier-Meister

Dec 30, 2017
    Illiconsin, Wisinois
    Likely a wiring problem. I recommend popping off the control plate and make sure everything is in order.

Triple Jim likes this.
  3. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Feb 16, 2018
    North Central NC
    Right, my Bullet Tele's tone control is very effective.

4. Mr Jyde

Mr Jyde Squier Talker

Dec 15, 2018
    USA
  5. Mr Jyde

Mr Jyde Squier Talker

Dec 15, 2018
    USA
    I dont see any wire off, but there is a vacant post on the tone pot, theres also a vacant post on the volume pot too, on the same side as the vacant post on the tone pot.. heres a couple pics.....thanks

[​IMG][/url][/IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG][/url][/IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 11:21 PM
  6. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-holic

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    Looks normal....what amp are you playing through? You should indeed notice a difference between the tone knob on full and all the way off.....if not, put a piece of electrical tape over the tone pot and capacitor leg joined to the back of that pot.....because it might be contacting the body shielding....but if that was happening it would sound like the tone was rolled all the way off no matter what position the knob is in.....

7. MadJack

MadJack Squier Talker

Dec 26, 2018
    Candler, FL
    The one open tab pn the tone pot is normal.

The ground wire (black) and tone cap lead may have a cold joint on the pot. Also, red wire doesn't look like it was soldered on the tab, but that just may be the angle of the picture. If you can solder or have someone who can, then the solder joints could use to be reflowed.

8. Mr Jyde

Mr Jyde Squier Talker

Dec 15, 2018
    USA
    Yea, the red wire is soldered. yea i have a soldering station. I have the acoustic lead guitar series G20 20 watt amp. Ok ill try the tape, also shouldnt there be a wire running from the output jack to the tone knob?....thank you

9. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    No, the tone knob is not connected to the jack.....there is a ground wire connecting tone pot to volume pot, so the ground has continuity....

10. Mr Jyde

Mr Jyde Squier Talker

Dec 15, 2018
    USA
    must be a bad tone pot. when i have the guitar volume knob at full and crank up the amp volume there is a very subtle difference in tone bass/treble. its almost like for example you turn the tone knob to 3 or 4 instead of full. thats all that tone pot puts out. So i guess i have to get another tone pot ?......thank you

11. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    What position is this in? The Squier Bullet Tele neck pickup is quite dark...so in that position on the 3-way you'd hardly notice it....

On the bridge pickup it should do more

12. Mr Jyde

Mr Jyde Squier Talker

Dec 15, 2018
    USA
    yea, alittle more noticeable on the bridge pickup but very subtle. Im assuming that with both pickups it has no effect by design. there is a differnce in tone but very subtle and the knob has to be turned full left and or right to notice this little difference.....thank you

13. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    That's normal on these lower end instruments with cheaper pots etc....you can always upgrade....

14. Mr Jyde

Mr Jyde Squier Talker

Dec 15, 2018
    USA
    Oh, ok, thats what i figured....... thank you

15. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Squier-Nut

Jan 19, 2018
    GA USA
    They do seem to have cut costs on the pots they used in the Bullets. I ran across one on the wall at GC that had the same problem.

16. jvin248

jvin248 Squier-Meister

Jan 10, 2014
    Michigan

Are you trying to use the tone knob on the Bridge pickup? All stock Strats are wired for the first tone knob to the neck, second tone knob to the middle, no tone knob to the bridge pickup. Some players put a jumper on the extra switch lug so the second tone pot runs both the middle and bridge or move it so the bridge gets the tone and the middle gets no tone, some players like that best.

If you want to upgrade, get bourns or CTS pots to replace all the pots, replace the switch with CRL/Oak-Grigsby and Switchcraft jack. You'll have the same parts as the $3k guitars for about $30. Don't swap pickups, these parts can push your tones around (it's a system).

If you've got an SSS model, while you're in there wiring, I'd be tempted to put an Armstrong Blender in it (that's what I run with on my regular player, blends between SSS and HSH with only a wiring change).

17. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    It's a Bullet TELE :)

fattboyzz likes this.