Squier Bullet Mustang Modded into Standard Scale Guitar

Discussion in 'Squier Offset Guitars' started by Sollophonic, Jun 13, 2019 at 3:23 PM.

1. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Squier-Meister

Here is my full scale Mustang creation.

I had a black Mustang which I used for a while and turned into a faux Musicmaster, then I got hold of a surf green body and migrated all the parts onto that.

So I had a spare black Mustang body and pickups, but I didn't have the bridge.

I had this Squier Standard Tele neck lying around that had seen better days, but was still very useable, so I figured I'd mess about with it and maybe make up another beater.

Converted a Topload three saddle bridge into one that would give a bit of extra scale length for intonation, the Squier Tele neck helped because the square heel pushed the neck a bit further forward.

I rewired the controls so that it has no tone, but a switch in a more suitable location for me. Pickups are some spares I had around;- an Invader style front pickup and a spare one out of an old Squier 51.

I might still make it into a single pickup guitar, the '51 pickup is wonderful in this guitar, like a P90 on steroids! I'm not sure I like the tone of the neck pickup for now in this guitar and I can coil tap the '51 if I need it taming.

Old switch hole covered up by a Motown Logo decal, because hey, I play in a mainly Soul covers band......

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Full scale Bullet Mustang, it's do-able..........;-)

fattboyzz, corn, squierbilly and 6 others like this.
  2. Afrika61

Afrika61 Squier-Nut

squierbilly likes this.
  3. IronSchef

IronSchef Dr. Squier

Jun 18, 2012
    Flew here on my Dragonfly
    that is pretty cool - I like how you were able to take up the extra 1 1/2 " in scale length needed for that neck, a little bit at the neck pocket/heel and a little bit w/ your bridge mod. Awesome job!

squierbilly likes this.
  4. rbh32

rbh32 Squier-Meister

Feb 12, 2018
    Valley, AL
    Awesome!! I did the opposite and put a mini neck on a regular sized Strat and a Tele. Modding is a lot of fun!!

squierbilly likes this.
  5. fuelish

fuelish Squier-Nut

Ummmm…. having a senior moment, define "standard scale" for me, please

6. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    25.5 inch scale length as found in a Telecaster or Strat.

fuelish likes this.
  7. LittleGiant

LittleGiant Squier-Meister

Apr 4, 2019
    Norway
    Interesting, i'v been thininking about a shortscale strat myself.

squierbilly likes this.
  8. squierbilly

squierbilly Dr. Squier

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    Cool looking guitar.. way to MacGyver yourself a player..

Those plates are simple great idea (wish i thought of that) with lots of variation.. the mustang seems a little pricey for how simple it is but when a clean "factory" o_O look is what your after sometimes you have to splurge a little..

9. fuelish

fuelish Squier-Nut

Gotcha …. I was wondering....LOL....thought there was some "standard" and guitar makers just adjusted to their preferred length. I kept thinkin, and I have guitars with 3 dirrerent scale lengths, possibly - my new old Harmony H15 might even be a more oddball length, like 24.5", in addition to a 24", a few Fender lengthe, and a few Gibson length scales. Wasn't a pressing question, truly, I was in need of coffee....I did kinda assume that from the rest of your info presented here

10. Afrika61

Afrika61 Squier-Nut

You know it.:D
    That's why I started my own Mustang body(alder wood) with nothing more than 2xP90, three way toggle, and a hardtail. I wanted something that is as complicated as a stone axe because after I built my Telemaster in pretty much the same way, I found that I really liked the "basic" theme that the guitar had: it's a blast to play and I'm hoping that the Mustang will turn out the same.
    My Offset.jpg

Sollophonic, squierbilly and Best1989 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice