Squier Bullet Mustang HH going bye-bye?

Discussion in 'Squier Offset Guitars' started by danzigdan, Feb 10, 2018.

1. danzigdan

danzigdan Squier-Meister

Feb 10, 2014
    NYS
    I don't know if anyone else has posted on it. I looked and didn't find anything.

The links to the Bullet Mustang HH on the Squier website are gone/not working and they are listed as no longer available at Sweetwater (blue/black). Other venues seem to have them still.

Wonder if they have run their course or they're going to get a refresh?

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  2. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    If true, this is good and bad. Good because they'll likely have something new and cool to replace it. Bad because it's a great guitar and very cool.

They haven't been around for long, but we shall see.

3. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Huh ... that's interesting. I remember last year when I went to try to find some info on the Squier VM '51 I went to the Fender site and they were not there. So I called a tech rep who told me the line had been discontinued. So ....?

And sometimes Fender will end a model's run because it had been more or less planned to be a short-time item, such as with those Fender tube amps, the Vaporizer, Ramparte and Excelsior. (Of course that could be a feel-good reponse to a line that had disappointing sales IMO.)

Somebody could call Fender on Monday.

Or it could just be a page oops. I know in the past a couple times I have gone to an etailer's web page to look for an item and got that "Ooops" message but then I checked a day or two later and everything was fine.

And I checked to see about the Squier Affinity JM. Still there ... still the same basic black and white finishes.

Another thought: Maybe the Bullet Mustang has suffered too much from its popularity and has sucked sales away from the higher-priced VM Mustang? However all that Fendersquier would have to do would be to bump the price up a bit (or a lot) I should think.

4. Nathan1709

Nathan1709 Squier-Meister

Dec 30, 2017
    Reading
    I sincerely hope they aren't discontinuing it. I do already have one but I would like to get another eventually to mod. Great little guitar and exceptional value for money.

5. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    Just a guess here but I expect it will be back or maybe a revised version of it.

6. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Well if that happens, expect the prices to zoom quickly for both new and used Bullet Mustangs. After the news broke about the demise of the VM '51, prices went up on the used market. Last year when Boss (for some reason) killed its FRV-1 reverb pedal the used market prices went crazy ... and still have n't really returned to normal I think.

I did note that MFriend only has the black Bullet Mustang in stock with the others due in. (June 12 for the surf green!) However, it's been my experience that sometimes those "due back in stock" items just don't appear because they are out of production. GCenter, however, shows all four models in stock except for the deep blue finish model. But GC and MF, as I understand, maintain similar but different inventories.

Then again sometimes MF or other retailers will try to burn off their existing inventory by selling them at a clearance price. Again, for example, Sweetwater was selling those DigiTech Trio pedals for $49.99 because AFAIK they have been discontinued in lieu of the DigiTech Trio +.

7. Nathan1709

Dec 30, 2017
    Reading
    Amazon still has them. Might stock up just in case!

8. horax

horax Dr. Squier

Aug 9, 2010
    colorado springs
    It wouldn't happen, but it would be cool if they did bullet, affinity, standard, vm, and CV versions of all Fender models.

That'd be nice.

Fret Cheese and benjammin420 like this.
  9. chester22

chester22 Squier Talker

Jan 19, 2018
    asdfasdf
    hope not... is there a better value in guitars than these things?

10. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016

Probably not, guitar for guitar if you test a bunch of them. Some other contenders I guess would be that P-90 equipped Epiphone Les Paul and maybe, just maybe, an Epiphone Sl if you got one of the "good" ones with tuners that work. My SL came with so-so tuners and with sharp fret ends but everything else seems OK.

But generally it's a lot of guitar for $149.99 ... before promotions and sales and stuff like that. Maybe its low price makes it a cash "loser" over all ... sort of like being on the $1 Menu for McSquier. The idea is you come for the Bullet Mustang and then later buy into a more expensive Squier CV or even a Fender branded guitar, or trade up.

11. chester22

chester22 Squier Talker

Jan 19, 2018
    asdfasdf
    supposedly, the squiers come better setup from the factory than the epiphones... which means adding on the cost of a 'setup' in either money or time

12. TheKurdtz

TheKurdtz Squier-holic

Sep 13, 2017
    Holland
    i'm hoping for more offsets actually, some more colors for the affy jazzmasters would be cool too. I'd love to pick up a used mustang some time though ;)

13. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Yes, that's true but I think most guitars could do with a setup after you get them. However, I should maybe have added my SL really needed a setup ... high action, poor intonation, etc.
    Same here. I still wonder why there are no FSR finishes added to the Affinity JMs.

Kenneth Mountain and TheKurdtz like this.
  14. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    BTW, I am still amazed that these cheap SLs are still not readily available. I just checked online and found all finishes are out of stock at Musician's Friend while Guitar Center has only the vintage sunburst in stock while Sam Ash, Sweetwater and Chicago Music Exchange have the black finish model.

These were announced in mid July at the summer NAMM. Seven months ago.

Frankly I think some buyers have opted to get a Bullet Mustang for a few more dollars simply because the cheaper SLs just are so hard to find. It's like trying to buy a discontinued guitar ... only that it hasn't been discontinued.

Kenneth Mountain and Pat V. like this.
  15. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    By stark comparison, Squier kept the new Contemporary Series under wraps until right before Winter NAMM 18 and although all of the stores don't have all of them available, you can buy them directly from the Fender website right now.

16. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    As of today, according to Fender, the last iteration of the Mustang Bullet HH appears to be history. They show lots of back-orders and no plans to build more.
    Keep in mind not all of the information you get from Fender customer service turns out to be 100% accurate but I think they always make an excellent effort to do so.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    radiotech and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  17. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016

I was getting ready to call so thanks for the news, although it's not the news I think most of us here wanted to hear. As for the accuracy, that Fender rep I talked to last year who told me about the demise of the Squier VM '51 certainly was correct ... and polite, too.

Why? Well as we said look for prices to skyrocket both on the new and used market.

radiotech and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  18. joeychickenskin

joeychickenskin Squier Talker

Feb 2, 2018
    Nottingham UK
    I wonder if it's an issue with sourcing the rosewood fingerboards? Maybe they weren't economically viable.

Either way, they've given squier and bullet a bump in terms of reputation and the bullet mustangs will surely be future-classics if the production run has ended, especially when you look at the market for entry level guitars from the 70s that people spend thousands getting up to spec.

19. Nathan1709

Dec 30, 2017
    Reading
    I'm sure somebody posted a thread on here about the newer bullet Mustangs having Indian Laurel fingerboards, which looks identical to rosewood so I'm not sure it's that. I'm still hoping this is a horrible mistake. I love mine and I am seriously considering getting another just because I need another (I don't but I do, if you know what I mean)

Pat V. likes this.
  20. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    That was my post, only because I found it listed that way over at Thomann . Btw, the model is still showing "not yet available."

Here's a totally ridiculous thought: Maybe the Fender/Squier rep meant to say the Bullet Mustang with a rosewood fingerboard is out of production but it will be replaced (eventually) with the model with an Indian laurel fingerboard? So Thomann and other merchants are selling off their stock and getting ready for the replacement Bullet Mustangs.

But the Affinity JM, which I think came out the same time as the Bullet Mustang, uses rosewood and the model is still staying ... at least for now. And other Squiers have rosewood fingerboards too.

I'm curious but I'd like to know why Fender/Squier has apparently chosen to end this model. I'm in the dark. It's like the finale for "The Sopranos" where everything just suddenly

Nathan1709 likes this.