Squier Bullet at the big gig.

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by Old Crow, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Old Crow

Old Crow Squier Talker

Mar 7, 2019
    West Midlands UK
    I've had all sorts of guitars over the years and once it was that you had to have something expensive to get decent playability. Recently I purchased a Squier Bullet Stratocaster for the huge sum of £115 ($147) because it played really well in the shop. Ok the pickups were not great and the tuners even less so but I had replacements anyway so it's cost me no more. The fretting and playing surface were fine and the guitar came with the action and intonation set and even has internal shielding paint properly grounded. Dressed a few fret ends and it's good to go and plays (honestly) as well as any other Strat or Tele I have.

I'm not sure, from my experience, that there really is all that is suggested in the claims for "tonewood." This Strat has a very light body of basswood but it sounds every bit as good as my friend's expensive Fender, with a great hollow twang. Looks and sounds great - what's not to like?

We've a club concert coming up soon and I'd like to enjoy the show so I really don't want to lug loads of heavy gear about. I'll be turning up with my modified Bullet and plug into a friend's Fender amp and there really isn't anything about this guitar to impede my playing and, without boasting, it's going to sound a deal better than some others I can think of.

Squier Bullet 01.jpg

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  2. fuelish

fuelish Squier-Nut

I love my HSS Bullet Strat ….only thing I've done, a minor setup, slight fret-end filing, and a jumper wire so I can have tone control on the bridge a well....So far, over the years/decades, I've been strong and not gone down the pickup replacement rabbithole, I'm easy, can work around anything, for the most part. It's not like I record or get paid to play... :)

3. brians

brians Squier-Nut

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    Doesn't surprise us at all!!

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L22 using Tapatalk

4. RetiredNSquired

RetiredNSquired Squier-holic

Jun 20, 2018
    Canton, Ga
    Doesn't seem to bother Jack Pearson at all! Enjoy your show, and play the frets off of it.

5. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    Have a blast an just grin if you see some cork sniffers ;)

6. brians

brians Squier-Nut

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    I love doing that !! But make sure they see you grin.

7. TEXINGA

TEXINGA Squier-Nut

Dec 7, 2018
    GA
    I love smug Fender owners, I walk into a gig and the first thing I do before wiping out one of my custom Squiers I start talking how I love my Squier and how nice it sounds and how smooth it is.

I get the looks and laughs and than I pull this out of my gig bag. You should see the look on there faces LOL I love doing this every time.

Under the hood:
    Oak Grigsby 5-Way Switch, Volume pot is a CTS 500K DPDT push/pull potentiometer. Treble bleed is a Orange Drop .001uf Cap w/150kohm resister. Middle Pot is a CTS 250K Potentiometer with a Orange Drop .47uf cap. Bottom Pot is a CTS 500K DPDT push/pull potentiometer with a Orange Drop .22uf Cap. It has 7-Way Switching (Gilmour Mod) activated by the Volume pot. Split Tone, Neck and Middle share a tone pot while the Bridge has a tone pot of its own. Treble Bleed and the Coil Tap is the activated by the bottom pot. Pickguard was copper shielded. Gavitt Cloth Wire was used.
    It is wired to bring out the best out of each pickup. With split tone when the switch is in the middle/bridge position, both tone pots are active allowing you to blend the tone of the two pickups. With the addition on the Gilmour mod you can blend the tone of the neck and bridge in the 1st position and all the pickups in the 2nd position. (Bridge and Bridge/Middle position) and oh yea a KILL SWITCH!

blackpups 011.jpg new walnut 012.jpg

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  8. brians

brians Squier-Nut

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    That is close to cruel. How can they compete with that.
    I love it !!

9. antiquityscion

antiquityscion Squier-Meister

Aug 27, 2012
    phoenix,az
    @TEXINGA

Totally like pulling up to a stop light in a sleeper muscle car with a 307 badge on the fender, but a 454 under the hood, next to a smug new mustang driver, and then blowing his doors off!

TEXINGA likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice