Squier 7 Sound Wiring (no drilling): 1 Vol + 1 Tone + SPST Switch

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Mijamoto, May 20, 2020.

1. Mijamoto

Mijamoto Squier Talker

Sep 4, 2017
    South Africa
    Hi all,
    For a while I wanted to do test the Strat 7 Sound mod. No specific reason, just for fun. I didn't want to drill a new hole in the pick guard but instead wanted to use the existing hole used by the second tone pot and have only a master tone pot. I've tried already and didn't want a push-pull pot, blender pot, etc. Just wanted to keep everything as simple as possible.

In general, I can do basic wiring following a drawing but my knowledge of electronics is very, very limited.

I'm sure this has been done before but I couldn't find this exact wiring on the internet (found every other possible variation with 2 tones but requires drilling) so I combined the existing 1 Master Volume, 1 Master Tone Strat wiring with the 7 Sound wiring and came up with this (see image).
    Strat-7-sound-1-volume-1-master-tone-spst-switch.jpeg
    The bridge+neck combination is quite interesting and usable. In fact, I like the sound and having the option so much that I installed it in my SSS Squier Affinity as well. The first one is a SSH Squier Standard.

Did any of you guys try this before? Is there a better way to do this? Any comments/suggestions/alternatives?

2. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    I think some people do the Gilmour mod on a potentiometer to avoid drilling holes, but I like your solution too.

I might have something laying around like I described, if I remember correctly. Ordered it last year from Mike at rocknrguitars. Haven't even opened the box yet, so I'm honestly not 100 percent sure what I requested

Black Strat and dbrian66 like this.
  3. Mijamoto

Mijamoto Squier Talker

Sep 4, 2017
    South Africa
    I'd love to hear about the Gilmour mod on a pot. Drilling holes is just not on, unless I replace the pick guard specifically for that, so I had to come up with something. Well, I didn't have to and could've just picked up another guitar to get a different sound, but this was more fun.

When you get around to it, let me what you ordered. Thanks.

dbrian66 and drewcp like this.
  4. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    My guitar that this is going into, has one volume, one tone, and the third hole is the 1/4" inch jack.

I will try to remember to open it up Friday and get you photos, but here was the order:

1 set G.M. Premium Pickups
    1 Oak Grigsby 5 Way Switch
    2 CTS 250K Potentiometers
    1 Orange Drop .47uf cap
    1 Orange Drop Treble Bleed
    2 Cream Strat Knobs
    1 Cream Switch Knob.
    7 Way switching with a CTS push pull pot
    Treble Bleed.

Black Strat and dbrian66 like this.
  5. Mijamoto

Mijamoto Squier Talker

Sep 4, 2017
    South Africa
    Very nice! You're going to have some fun with all that. Cool.

Black Strat, dbrian66 and drewcp like this.
  6. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    That's about the easiest way to do it. My Am Performer Strat (my avatar) has a pull pot on the second tone control that turns the neck pickup on when the 5 way is on bridge or bridge and middle. The extra two sounds are cool, but don't expect the neck and bridge together to sound like a Tele on the middle position, 'cause it doesn't.

Black Strat, drewcp and dbrian66 like this.
  7. Mijamoto

Mijamoto Squier Talker

Sep 4, 2017
    South Africa
    Just looked up the wiring on the Am Performer Strat and it seems I achieved the same result but with a SPST switch (and one master tone). I have a Burns Cobra wired exactly as your guitar but the pickups are different (Tri-Sonic) so I wanted to hear what my Squiers would sound like. I didn't really expect much and did the mod on both my HSS and SSS. The new sound options sound good to me so I'll leave them both like that. I don't really miss the second tone pot and the mod is easily reversible anyway.
    Btw, lovely colour on your guitar.

Black Strat and drewcp like this.
  8. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    Pics as promised

20200522_111927.jpg 20200522_111937.jpg

Black Strat likes this.
  9. Mijamoto

Mijamoto Squier Talker

Sep 4, 2017
    South Africa
    Very neat wiring, I like to see that.

Interesting that they chose to leave the middle pot position empty. Although I learned on and played a strat exclusively for years, after switching to other styles of guitar now I find the volume knob on a strat a bit too close to my hand when playing. But I'm probably being too fussy, as usual.

It gave me an idea, though. I'll try to find a small push button/switch to replace the SPST switch, move the volume and tone pots down and put the push button on the volume position. It's still lockdown here, I'm bored so why not.

Thanks for sharing the pics. Btw, I looked at your website and that Devlin guitar is very nice. Never heard of those guitars but I really like it. The gold colour is always a plus, of course.

10. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    Thanks for checking out the website. The Devlin had a high fret or two, so I sold it, but it was fun to own for a while.

The pickguard for those parts was only used for assembly/shipping. The guitar that they are intended for only has one volume and one tone, but I think Mike (@rocknrguitars) most likely only keeps standard pickguards on hand, unless someone needs something unique for a special case.

It's going in a guitar like this where the third hole is the jack

Screenshot_20200523-102227_Chrome.jpg

So I will have to take everything out of this pickguard, and put it in the OEM pick guard.

11. Block Head Ike

Block Head Ike Squier-Nut

If you want to retain the standard 3 control configuration of your strat you can do the 7 sound setup using a push-pull switch on the volume as per the top figure in the illustration below:

[​IMG]

12. rodgerk1977

rodgerk1977 Squier Talker

Mar 15, 2019
    uk
    This way of wiring leaves the middle pickup on its own even when the toggle switch is active. super strat.jpg

13. rodgerk1977

Mar 15, 2019
    uk
  14. Mijamoto

Mijamoto Squier Talker

Sep 4, 2017
    South Africa
    Hey guys, thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.

@drewcp, I never thought of using the third hole for the jack on a strat! Interesting concept. Very nice and clean look too.

@Block Head Ike ck Head Ike, thanks for the diagrams. The second is something I will try - but first I have to make a few pick guards. I guess I'll have to wait until I can order blanks for pick guards from overseas. The choice of pick guards here is very limited and the ones I found have holes that don't match. And they're highly overpriced.

@rodgerk1977, I'm definitely doing the first diagram you sent, with the middle position staying the same. Just seems the correct way it should be done. I would have done it that way in the first place but I didn't know how. Since I've done the same mod on both my Squiers, I'll do the second diagram mod you sent, with the Blender pot, on one of them. I actually have a Blender pot that's been sitting with the other guitar parts for years now.

I like your pick guards on both guitars (the guitars too). Did you make them?

Last edited: May 23, 2020 at 4:37 PM
    Black Strat and drewcp like this.
  15. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    hey, @Mijamoto, you should tag people with an @ in front of their name when you're typing so they can get an alert about your comment. Otherwise, if your thread falls down or people don't think about it, they might not check for replies specifically for them.

16. Mijamoto

Mijamoto Squier Talker

Sep 4, 2017
    South Africa
    I'm not very good at this so thank you. Hopefully it's fixed now.

17. rodgerk1977

Mar 15, 2019
    uk
    Yeah they are a carbon style wrap, then cut out which is tricky. The wiring is the same as a super strat and fender deluxe player strat. 1600-stratdpm3sb-detail3-jpg-auto_orig.jpg

18. Mijamoto

Mijamoto Squier Talker

Sep 4, 2017
    South Africa
    Carbon wrap! Another great idea. Thanks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice