Squier '51 Vintage Modified discontinued

Discussion in 'Squier Vintage Modified models' started by Ralph124C41, May 18, 2017.

1. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    well I didn't know it has ended production so others may not know and it may still be possible to get a fair deal ... but the longer we as buyers wait I fear the prices will go Up ... Up ... and way! (as Superman might say if he was looking to buy one.)

Pat V. likes this.
  2. mkgearhead

mkgearhead Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2009
    Fort Morgan, CO
    I finally got both of mine done today. The sunburst is an '05. It has a Wilkinson Tele cutoff bridge with compensated brass saddles and a black WD pickguard. I went ahead today and drilled the string through holes and got it right this time. :cool: No extra "tone holes." The pickups and electronics are from my newer model blonde '51. The blonde has the newer body, and a neck from a VM Tele custom II with Planet Waves self trimming locking tuners. The bridge pickup is a Duncan Designed HB103 and the neck pickup is an unknown alnico. It's wired with a 5 way rotary switch: bridge, split bridge, bridge & neck, split bridge and neck and neck. I rewired the push-pull to put the pickups in series when they're both on. I replaced the saddles with a set of Fender stamped steel ones.

IMG_1440.JPG IMG_1441.JPG IMG_1443.JPG IMG_1445.JPG IMG_1444.JPG

Last edited: May 22, 2017
    squierbilly, VM51SQ, ElRey67 and 3 others like this.
  3. scifilullaby

scifilullaby Squier-Meister

Jan 2, 2017
    Athens, Greece
    you mean need candy apple red? :p

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  4. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    No, car not CAR. Four wheels, not two pickups. The '91 Cadillac is headed for the last roundup.

scifilullaby likes this.
  5. mkgearhead

mkgearhead Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2009
    Fort Morgan, CO
    Are you sure they're discontinued? I just checked the MF website and it says the CAR and Blonde will arrive on 6/27.

6. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    In my original post I noted that MF and GC have two of the three finishes on back order (no sunbursts). Furthermore, that back order date is just a guess by the respective companies; I have had occasions with MF when I put something on back order and the order was subsequently cancelled because MF later told me the item was either no longer in production or they just won't be getting any for whatever reason, perhaps cost or other reason.

My information was directly by phone by a Fender rep. Some of the guitars may be available ... but I was told their actual production ended in October and they are no longer listed at the Fender.com website.

7. VM51SQ

VM51SQ Squier Talker

Apr 14, 2017
    oregon
    Knowing they are now out of production makes me appreciate mine even more ! While I agrre that they are a great platform for modding, I will most likely keep mine stock, for originality, and because I think it's almost perfect the way it is !

syrynx and five teles like this.
  8. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    Out of production...... until it's not......again :)

9. VM51SQ

VM51SQ Squier Talker

Apr 14, 2017
    oregon
    Hope you're right..I could use a blonde one..

10. radiotech

radiotech Squier-holic

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Wait, what?!
    Are we even still talking guitars here ;)

VM51SQ likes this.
  11. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    I would be surprised. If it comes back it would be the fourth version.

12. blackspider57

blackspider57 Squier-Meister

Mar 11, 2017
    Great Falls Montana
    Musicians friend has been moving the shipping date for months.
    I am not sure why.
    Is there a shipment lost at sea they hope may one day come in?
    I do not think so.... I think their will be no more.
    I could be wrong. We shall see.
    I got mine in March, and am very happy with it.

Attached Files:

13. mkgearhead

mkgearhead Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2009
    Fort Morgan, CO
    If anyone is looking, Sweetwater 's website shows the blonde ones are in stock.

14. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    I thought there were only two. Not counting the Fender Pawn Shop.

15. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Yes, that's right. The two Squier versions and the Pawn Shop version for a total of three. If it comes back in a new form (which is what I'm assuming would happen) it would be the fourth version.

HOWEVER ... I really doubt Musician's Friend is going to be getting any more in. For one, the back-order date is now July 11 when the May 22 estimate was June 27. And now the blonde version seems to have disappeared to go along with the sunburst so the only one left is the red version.

But it's out of production so how will MF get them? I personally doubt MF will get in at all in.

I ask because a few days ago I noticed MF was planning to sell some Boss FRV-1 reverb pedals for only $99.99. I think they sold for about $140. So, why so low? I went to the Boss website to find ... yes, the pedal is out of production. So I'm thinking how can MF take back orders on these? Well I went to the MF website just now ... and ... surprise ... the item is no longer listed. It's gone. Just like the blonde and sunburst version of the VM Squier '51.

16. mkgearhead

mkgearhead Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2009
    Fort Morgan, CO
    I just got an email from Connor at Sweetwater. He said they still have a few dozen blondes left and they won't be getting any more in.

17. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    That makes sense; dealers will be selling off current stock.

18. horax

horax Dr. Squier

Aug 9, 2010
    colorado springs
    you can get used ones on gc.com at a great price right now.
    would love to get one, but I don't need it. :(

19. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016

Yes, there is a used one for $139.99 (but add $20 or so shipping plus your state tax) but GC was recently selling a used one for the price of a new one. It's gone now so I guess somebody bought it. So used at full "new" price, plus shipping, plus tax. Not a good deal but if you want it and just have to have one I guess it's up to you.

20. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    The used ones selling for as much or even more sometimes are probably the first gen guitars. A lot of people prefer them. I am not weighing in either way on it.
    I was going to buy a new one from SW and the sales guy was cutting me one hell of a deal at 165 shipped but found I did not like the semi transparent finish on the blonde. Bought an 05 used burst off GC instead.

Pat V. likes this.