Squier '51 Vintage Modified discontinued

Discussion in 'Squier Vintage Modified models' started by Ralph124C41, May 18, 2017.

1. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    I must have missed this.

I went looking today to maybe buy a sunburst VM '51 Squier today and I couldn't find any. GC and MFriend have the blonde and the red on back order, SWater has only the blonde in stock. So I called Fender and talked to a guy who told me it the model was discontinued in October.

October? I guess retailers have been selling off their stock. I don't know how MF and GC will be getting NOS in unless Fender has some in a warehouse.

I liked the guitar. I ordered one a couple of years ago but it came with some structural problems so I sent it back for a full refund.

Rollmeaway, DaveDrums and theflow like this.
  2. five teles

five teles Squier-Nut

Oct 27, 2014
    shoals alabama
    Thanks for the info, I have put off getting one, now I wish i had moved faster.

Rollmeaway, DaveDrums and theflow like this.
  3. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Me, too. However I'd buy one just because it's the last of the breed and you can resell it later for more, I betcha. I want a sunburst ... but no money right now. Need car.

4. radiotech

radiotech Squier-holic

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
  5. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    I thought the blended sound of the single-coil neck with the full humbucker was just about the best sound I've heard in a low-priced guitar. I didn't care very much for the other settings but that one setting was just "it."

6. mkgearhead

mkgearhead Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2009
    Fort Morgan, CO
    I might be selling my '05 Sunburst if I ever get around to swapping the electronics from it into my Blonde one.....:cool:

Rollmeaway and five teles like this.
  7. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    Hmmm, I was unaware. Maybe I should buy another. Probably a used one again just to keep up my cheap bastard persona :)

Passed on one for 80 bucks a month or two ago............... thought I was somehow evolving by not giving into temptation but in reality a was a dumb*#* :)

8. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Anybody who has one I'd suggest either holding onto it or making sure to advertise that this is the last of its breed ... at least for a time. According to Wiki, there was the original Squier from 2003-2006, the much more expensive Fender version (Pawn Shop Series) from 2011-2013 and then back to Squier for the VM version from 2013 to October 2016.

Will there be a fourth version? Will it go back to Fender directly? Stay tuned ...

It was really an amalgam of three guitars: a Strat body, a Tele neck (sort of) and headstock, and a pickguard and control plate of an old Precision Bass.

Dang! Double dog dang! (excuse the language)

five teles, Rollmeaway and Pat V. like this.
  9. radiotech

radiotech Squier-holic

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Mini-mod I did on mine recently:
    IMG_2392.JPG

10. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    That's what I hope to do. However, I know some people said the sunburst didn't look too good on their models so they put that giant pickguard back on. I was thinking of getting some kind of furniture wax touch up stuff and blend it by hand to cover the screw holes. And get a neck pickup plate, as you did, to cover up the empty space.

Rollmeaway, radiotech and Pat V. like this.
  11. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    Your wood grain looks far better than mine does. Mine is bland.

My plan if I ever get back to it is to do a record album guard and use stud earrings of some sort to fill the left over holes. :D Oh and brass nut.

I did however finally buy another GFS offset bridge for it. Seems like a better finish than the first one I bought. That one ended up on a Bullet because I am easily distracted................ and a distraction to others!

I collect parts more often than do the work it seems.

Rollmeaway, five teles and radiotech like this.
  12. five teles

five teles Squier-Nut

Oct 27, 2014
    shoals alabama
    I want a. Thinline pickguard on one. 51case.jpg Ferden_51.jpg

13. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    Oh I like the pick guard on that blue Fender! Hell I like that blue Fender!

Rollmeaway likes this.
  14. five teles

five teles Squier-Nut

Oct 27, 2014
    shoals alabama
    DSC01496.jpg

15. five teles

five teles Squier-Nut

Oct 27, 2014
    shoals alabama
    Seems these are the Perfect mod platform lol.

Rollmeaway and radiotech like this.
  16. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    For what it's worth, the first Squier branded '51s first showed up at Summer NAMM 2004 and shipped shortly thereafter. The original '51s were part of the newly created Vintage Modified Series. I think the two guys who were instrumental in it's development were Justin Norvell and Clay Lyons who saw the '51 project to fruition (in an extremely short six months from concept to production).

Here's the Vintage Modified '51 box from 2004.

Squier 51 Box from 2004.jpg

17. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    Thanks for that post! I have been told in the past that the first generation 51's were not VM's, only the new ones, so well well hows about that :)

Rollmeaway, radiotech and five teles like this.
  18. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

Mine has been posted before, but here is another pick guard idea for you guys. I used a Bullet (same size body) pick guard as a tracing template, then cut it out of blank material with a jig saw and beveled the edge on the router table.

I filled the old screw holes with some wood putty and then painted those spots with a mix of brown and black acrylic modeller's paint from a hobby shop. Then drop filled the divots with CA (super glue). Scraped and sanded them flat, but there has been some settling and need to do the last step again.

Removed the neck pup cover so it matches the bridge one, and installed the Bubba mod.

2007-01-02 12.56.02.jpg 2007-01-02 12.53.35.jpg

19. radiotech

radiotech Squier-holic

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Many of the original bursts were meh on grain.
    Mine's a 2014, it came from a shop that had three of them, this one had the most stunning grain.

I've got spares if you'd like one, but they were from China, and almost all of them were a little wavy. I heated it up with the heat gun, and put some weight on it to flatten it out.

20. Rollmeaway

Rollmeaway Squier-Meister

Feb 7, 2016
    Fayetteville, NC
    Bummer, I have been waiting for one of these to pop up locally for quite a while. No such luck. This is bad news. Bumps the used market price up.

five teles likes this.