Spring... at last.

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by duceditor, Apr 28, 2018.

1. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    There are a bunch of ponds around where I live, and there are goose and swan nests all over. Any day now, there will be goslings everywhere.

Merv_j and duceditor like this.
  2. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    9FAF19E0-B33F-4889-9E88-8E01B08BCF65.jpeg
    There’s somewhat of a Buckthorn problem here (my dad spends all summer cutting and digging it off his property) the DNR has been going around every spring, burning off the fields on public lands here. Both for prairie restoration and buckthorn control. The smoke columns get impressively large. Yesterday I could see 3 different burns on my way home, this one was less than a mile from my house. Within a week or two, there’s fresh new grass over the whole burn area, it’s more open and looks good. The first year I lived here, the field they did by my girls school I thought would be black and dead for years, but it’s amazing how fast the natural grasses come back.

3. Snapped a few spring pics today from my property.

Fremontia 'California Glory'

DSC05964.JPG

Windmill palm in bloom

DSC05965.JPG

Atwood Navel (citrus)

DSC05967.JPG

Ceanothus 'California Lilac'

DSC05968.JPG

daan likes this.
  4. A few more from Lantzville.

Rhododendron

DSC05970.JPG

Nerium 'Oleander'

DSC05973.JPG

Eucalyptus 'Snow Gum'

DSC05974.JPG

Cheers, Barrie.

daan likes this.
  5. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    I just thought of this... the concept of late winter ...anything other than snow is confusing. If I may ask, where do I gotta move to, to get anything growing in winter (other than my heating gas bill) :)

6. willhowl

willhowl Squier-holic

Dec 19, 2011
    Houston Texas
    Holy Cow, Beautiful pix here.....I have none to share right now, but I have this........

I have a pretty good little Digital Thermometer , in my room....It reads Inside Temp+ Humidity, and outside Temp, thru a sensor on a wire, fed out side thru the window...It's accurate, checked against the TV news weather reports, in real time.....NOW.........

This afternoon, about 4:00 CST, it read.....75 inside.......121+ outside!!!!!!!........Now ,the window is on the West side of building, gets full-blast sunlight in the afternoons.....It was really about 96 outside then......

SO......maybe, not that accurate....My point is.......

Spring Has Sprung, and gone....Summer is HERE.......willhowl:mad::mad::mad::mad::(:eek:

daan likes this.
  7. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    3B697F31-AB12-4C61-8D66-1E68B24CF196.jpeg 5FC25171-94A6-43D2-8E39-F4EAEC1D041B.jpeg 76175092-43E8-408E-A623-990E582F3734.jpeg

This time of year, my whole yard is blanketed in tiny white and purple... flowers. (About the
    size of my thumbnail, and look a lot like Iris, just tiny) My wife calls them “violets”, her grandma had them in her yard too, and made Jam out of them. So my wife and girls were collecting arm loads of the blooms, which are getting boiled down now. The resulting Jam is a pretty, pale violet color and is a nice reminder of these days, when I eat it next winter. These long crummy winters just make me appreciate Spring so much more!

willhowl likes this.
  8. willhowl

willhowl Squier-holic

Dec 19, 2011
    Houston Texas
    Right on, daan.....Our winters are very nice.....It actually got cold, sorta, this last one........

BUT....we get hammered in the Good Ole Summertime.......Which lasts for , like 5 Months, of 90+ temp, Humidity to match.........The Violet Jam sounds ..........GOOD!!!....................willhowl

9. FretYeNot

FretYeNot Squier-Nut

Jan 8, 2015
    UK
    This spring has felt more like an American one than UK. Sudden explosion of plants that normally flower gradually over several weeks and overlap all out together. Seems like the northern hemisphere has had a long cold winter (we often get reports of snow quite late from our Catskill relatives, and they've had 'tornadoes' in upstate NY this last week, allegedly.) We've had three spells of summery weather this year already, which is good for Blighty. I once heard a US comedian crack the joke: 'I've been living over here in London, let's see, three summers now – that's 10 years ...'

Common.jpg Buttercups and hawthorn blossom, above, bluebells, below.
    BluebellLog.jpg

daan and Merv_j like this.
  10. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    We don't have a "lawn" here. More nature just on the loose.

Here's a few of a series of photos I've been sharing with friends on Facebook entitled "Ain a Lawn"

Ain a Lawn 5.jpg
    Ain lawn 4.jpg
    Ain a Lawn 6.jpg

-don

11. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    From my morning walk. Irises on grass.

Irises on Grass.jpg

-don

12. FretYeNot

FretYeNot Squier-Nut

Jan 8, 2015
    UK
    A few snaps from this side of the pond in recent weeks: Common; Hedgerow; Thistle; Beach. common.jpg
    elhm.jpg thistle.jpg beach.jpg

duceditor and daan like this.
  13. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    CB4CA7FA-6A85-439B-958A-259A7A360BE8.jpeg

A bird builds a nest in the light fixture right next to my front door every spring. Last year it was a Robin (pale blue eggs) This year I’m not entirely sure WHAT kind of bird, but when the girls and I checked out the nest, we discovered that we have a Cowbird in the neighborhood. (The speckled egg is a Cowbird egg) Those are the birds that go around laying their egg in a random other birds’ nest, so that one feeds/raises the baby Cowbird.

duceditor likes this.
  14. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities

This is what I want MY lawn to look like! We’ve been sowing seeds to get this, but we have a long way to go.

duceditor likes this.