Spring... at last.

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by duceditor, Apr 28, 2018.

1. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Well it's finally here. The first daffodils are peeking out of the peat. The ground is clear and showing other signs of life. Bears have reappeared -- bending the the bird feeder poles downward to see if there's anything there for them. (There isn't.)

One senses all of this slowly, but this morning it suddenly struck me as I walked back up the drive to the house. Winter is over! We made it. Spring is here!

And it made me smile.

Made It Through Another Winter.jpg

-don

daan, squierbilly, willhowl and 10 others like this.
  2. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Squier-Axpert

Dec 14, 2009
    Philadelphia Suburbs
    We’ve got some stuff blooming loving it.

willhowl and duceditor like this.
  3. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    We're a little bit ahead of ya here..My daffodils are about ready to open.Just planted them last fall.On my way home from the hospital yesterday I saw a lot of them in full bloom..
    Cut my grass yesterday for the first time..Well I hired it cut..
    C'mon summer..

Chefbaze, willhowl, Merv_j and 4 others like this.
  4. Looks very peaceful there Don. Good to hear you've past the threshold of winters grip.
    Around here it's been rather good ... 81°F (27°C) yesterday. Winter's a distant memory (what little we get) although today it rained.

Cheers, Barrie.

RoyalWe, AllroyPA and duceditor like this.
  5. Big tuna

Big tuna Squier-holic

May 6, 2014
    east Tn
    Spring has been in effect for quite a while in E Tn now been mowing three weeks now. I planted collard greens the last day of Feb and they are 7-8 in high. We had a cold winter but hardly any snow.

daan, willhowl, AllroyPA and 2 others like this.
  6. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-Meister

Feb 16, 2018
    North Central NC
    That's a lot of firewood. We heat with wood, and go through something around five cords in a winter. Sometimes more, sometimes less. This year, more.

AllroyPA, duceditor and squierTony like this.
  7. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Time to get the bird feeders inside for a month or so, until those young bears learn to find food in the wild. Mine has been unhooked for the last few weeks. But they are around. Here's a young's track.

180408 Ours - Ski Sutton.jpg

The ice on the pond finally disappeared and the wood frogs are going at it, party time big time ! Seem like every day, we get a different kind of ducks. Yesterday it was a merganser couple.

1804 26 Branchus.jpg

8. TheKurdtz

TheKurdtz Squier-Nut

Sep 13, 2017
    Holland
  9. Merv_j

Merv_j Squier-Meister

Aug 6, 2017
    Lincoln uk
    My daffs are finished here... We've had our traditional two days of sun for this year and are back to the continual rain we are accustomed to. Thankfully though we don't have anything coming into our garden which is going to eat US!!! Maybe a grumpy squirrel from time to time, but that's all!!!

10. Haha ... well folks around here are ever aware of bears and cougar / mountain lions.
    Cheers, Barrie.

willhowl and Merv_j like this.
  11. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Squier-Meister

Jan 19, 2018
    GA USA
    Yep. It's spring...

[​IMG]

12. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Uh huh. And these are "daffodils." :D

plastic daffodil.jpg

-nod

willhowl likes this.
  13. FretYeNot

FretYeNot Squier-Nut

Jan 8, 2015
    UK
    We had a mini-heatwave a week or so back and it was glorious. Reverted to type since. The darling buds are getting a rough shaking and bluebells a good watering now. Hope springs eternal ... beached.jpg bluebells.jpg

daan, squierbilly, willhowl and 2 others like this.
  14. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    No spring here. Had some snow yesterday near me and possible snow predicted this week. Everything is brown. The only thing green around here is the bologna in my refrigerator.

duceditor likes this.
  15. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Awakened early this morning, called by the early morning sun as it peeked over Mount Monadnock and kissed the forest beyond the meadow.

Grabbed my iPhone, ran outside in only my robe, and took these...

Gorgeous Morning Light #2 WEB.jpg

Gorgeous Morning Light.jpg

Oh, I do love Spring!

-don

daan, squierbilly and willhowl like this.
  16. FretYeNot

FretYeNot Squier-Nut

Jan 8, 2015
    UK
    It's been too wet and windy to get out to the woods but supposed to be warming up later this week. Been a really strange and long winter/spring: snow before Xmas; very cold, snowy and icy Feb/March complete with freezing rain; a mini heatwave in April; monsoon-like rain and flooding this week. (This pic is from 2016.) Bluebells.jpg

squierbilly and duceditor like this.
  17. Undone

Undone Squier-Meister

Feb 13, 2018
    Virginia
    We seem to have skipped spring altogether. It was 39 degrees Saturday morning and then we hit a high of close to 85 today. So yeah...woo hoo go Virginia. Now it's about time for the humidity to kick in and make it unbearable. I really need to relocate to a cooler climate. Can't stand the heat.

so1om likes this.
  18. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    It's been very warm in Chicago the last few days and I couldn't be more happy. Thank goodness.

19. Lonn

Lonn Administrator Staff Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    Admin Post

20. willhowl

willhowl Squier-holic

Dec 19, 2011
    Houston Texas
    Report From Tx......Wed, 5/2/18.......Our humidity hit today, ( rivaled only by New Orleans,and everything in between)......It's been very nice, but it's all over now....A late onset of the constant steambath that is Southeast Tx...for the next 5 months......If you think I'm kidding, you have never been here!!!!!!!

"Wintertime" is great here, but it only lasts for (seemingly) a month........Sigh, moan, whine.....I HATE "summer".............Spring? Only a fond memory,now.....

Da6%$$&it..............Sweatingly yours, willhowl

Merv_j likes this.