Space, and GAS...

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by radiotech, Nov 8, 2019.

1. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    So... after a year in my new place, I’m finally getting down to the final areas of organization... which means guitars, and associated gear. The old place, while close to the same size in square feet, had more rooms, and while some rooms were smaller (bedrooms), others were bigger (rooms in the basement specifically). The old basement was separated into three spaces, a large bedroom the width of the house (became a studio) in the front, and the rest of the basement was split length-wise down the middle 65/35 with a living room type space, and a utility area.

That utility area was more than big enough for the house mechanicals, washer/dryer, my tools, and large items (ladders, electrical supplies, wood, cleaning supplies (even stock ups), storage for clothes, and sports equipment.

The new basement, has a bedroom, a bathroom, small laundry area, and a large open area that is not very useful because it has a large wet bar (I’ll never use), and fireplace (that I had to remove the stack from, because it went through my upstairs bedroom closet). This area is surrounded by a narrow corridor/service closet, that contains some storage, and the house mechanicals...

The problem is... NO garage (wasn’t at the old place either), and my big stuff just won’t fit (easily), into the corridor, and has ended up being staged in the large addition on the back of the house (what makes the new place bigger). I love how the basement is finished, but I need more storage! The house was remodeled/designed from a 3 bedroom 50’s ranch, to a open concept house with one bedroom on each floor, and a gigantic kitchen/dining/cooking space. While my wife, and daughter LOVE this space, it just kills the closet/storage space (I had to add a closet to the enlarged master bedroom when we got married).

Let’s get down to the gist... I did NOT realize how much gear I had in the old place, because it was in three different rooms (bedroom, office/shop, and studio), but when I put it all in one space in this house... it’s a Charlie-Foxtrot.

We attacked the addition last night, and hung nine guitars, all kinds of family photos, and rearranged the furniture... how many guitars do I have still in cases? ...

TWELVE! That makes 21 guitars, and while two of them were bought to flip... that still makes 19. That’s about 7 too many IMO, just from storing the cases/bags alone for the ones hanging out.

Even with selling the two to flip, and one 410 bass cab/head (Rumble 150), they’re all just space hogs. I want to sell off half, but my wonderful wife wants me to keep them all... but I can’t, unless I make some new storage space.

I’m thinking in the basement... the bar has to come out, and a wall has to go up along the main beam where the bar was, and once that’s up, I can tear down the corridor walls, and this will give me the same amount of basement storage space as the old house, but still allow a nice living area to go with the downstairs bedroom my youngest uses, and with that extra space, I’ll be able to put a 100% efficient log set in that fireplace (after I cap off the old flu).

Then guitars or gear will have to be sacrificed.

;).

E979B1D1-4EEE-4387-B67B-5F39FCA17D27.jpeg

More pics to come.

2. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
  3. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
  4. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    heh... not likely in the next six years. :D

very slick system, but it will cross the line from looking artsy, to looking more like a music shop methinks.

5. drneilmb

drneilmb Squier-Meister

Jun 8, 2019
    Iowa, USA
    Don't discount the possibility of non-wall space dividers in the large basement room. It sounds like there might be plenty of space to stack guitar cases behind the bar, or if the bar wasn't there, then you could stack guitar cases in that spot and then put up curtains or screens to hide them from view.

Maybe it'll be too janky for you, but maybe it'd give you something nice while you sell things off.

Kenneth Mountain and dbrian66 like this.
  6. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    I’d like to have a dedicated office/bench/studio/storage space down there like the old place. The wet bar is wasted space.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  7. BuddyLee

BuddyLee Squier-Meister

Aug 30, 2019
    Liberty SC
    It's obvious that your wife and daughter are going to have to move in order to make space for your guitars. <:^)

8. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Daughter will likely be out in a year or two...

9. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    People like my comment. why do tomorrow what you can do today?

Kenneth Mountain and radiotech like this.
  10. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Do what @Eddie does. Turn your daughter's room in to guitar storage. :D

11. corn

corn Squier-holic

Feb 27, 2013
    San Diego
    Gas Space,, I suffer from this too, I don’t think there is any real professional help to cure it

12. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    My wife and I discussed it last night, and agree that the bar area is a space waster in the basement. We’re going to go with the basement idea of the old rental, and wall off 1/3 of the basement to a office/bench/studio/storage space like it had. This will also remove the closed-in walls around the house mechanicals, which is now so tight, it makes servicing them difficult.
    It additionally will let us move the laundry area, which is now right at the bottom of the stairs, a bit of a eyesore, and quite congested... to this new area, and give us space to process the laundry as well.
    In the new wall facing the living space, I’m going to implement an idea I had a few months back...
    I’m going to add a litter box cubby with a motion operated light/fan. The light will be in the cubby, the fan will be on the wall near where it exhausts outside (to not be noisy in the litter box area). The cubby will have a back door in the new room where the box/area can be cleaned out of sight of the living space.

This will correct the storage space issue we have (mainly due to the open concept they redesigned the house in), heck, it will be more than enough space once it’s done, and the garage goes up.

13. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    079117B5-F58E-48A1-8C4D-5AB718769CAC.jpeg Oh yea... rest of the addition:

14. :( Would you kindly send it to my house? The space looks great. Cheers, Barrie.

radiotech likes this.
  15. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Would if I could Barrie...
    Can you imagine the export tax?!
    ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice