Something I See A Lot

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by mdparent03, Jul 7, 2018.

1. mdparent03

mdparent03 Squier-holic

May 6, 2013
    Beaumont, CA
    As we all have browsed through our local Craigslist or other sites, how many times have you came across a photo like this and thought to yourself, "why would anybody think that is correct?" I have seen it way too many times.
    Screenshot_20180707-174122.png

Merv_j, wickedtools, jefffam and 6 others like this.
  2. Mister Noonan

Mister Noonan Squier-Meister

Jun 28, 2018
    present
    I look at it as free insight about the seller.

Merv_j, jefffam, Triple Jim and 8 others like this.
  3. RetiredNSquired

RetiredNSquired Squier-Meister

Jun 20, 2018
    Canton, Ga
    Better chance for a good deal!

jefffam, Acidhouse, oneHenry and 3 others like this.
  4. DougMen

DougMen Squier-Nut

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    We all, as beginners, didn't know the right way to string a guitar, until someone showed us. Some don't know that strings need to be changed until they're told. Maybe the only instrument they've had before was a piano. How often are a piano's strings changed? What I find far more disconcerting is the great number of people who can't spell Squier, or know the difference between to, too, and two, or the difference between your and you're, or write should of instead of should have. And a million other spelling and grammar errors that a seven year old should know.
    Apparently, guitar players aren't the sharpest tools in the shed.

jefffam, dbrian66, duggerh and 2 others like this.
  5. Mister Noonan

Mister Noonan Squier-Meister

Jun 28, 2018
    present
    Well said. My personal favorite is Hanez instead of Ibanez.

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/47622178

jefffam, dbrian66 and duggerh like this.
  6. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Squier-holic

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Maybe it was strung by a left handed. The first time I strung a lefty, it looked like the mirror image of the above.

7. twisted fingers

twisted fingers Squier-Meister

Jun 19, 2016
    carrollton, ga
    I have seen a few of these or worse guitar ads on Craigslist. Not guitar related but has anyone else seen a CL ad before where someone's trying to trade a prosthetic leg for home repairs? Now back to guitars there is a seller now that has a Squier Affinity on craigslist ATL. autographed by Aerosmith for $1000.00 I see this junk all the time with autographed guitars and most of the time the guitars are not even the quality of an Affinity. I like the ads that read guitar for sale sounds great and plays great and it has 3 or 4 strings out of 6. I have come very close to winding the string in the wrong direction just last week. The Stagemaster the reverse headstock screwed my brain up when I first put the low e string on I was putting it on like a normal Strat. My first time changing strings I did 1 string at a time and I don't remember how long it took me.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  8. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I guess, in the end, stringing is a personal thing. Inside? Outside? Heck, as long as it plays. ha ha

9. Maybe I'm more observant, but in my earliest days, I'd never have thought that. Logic told me that a string should follow the path of least physical resistance.
    Cheers, Barrie.

jefffam and twisted fingers like this.
  10. corn

corn Squier-holic

Feb 27, 2013
    San Diego
    Aint enough beer in the world...:p

11. Toddcaster64

Toddcaster64 Squier-holic

Apr 1, 2013
    Camarillo, CA
    LOL I like it! Creative!

In all seriousness, I like seeing this stuff on CL because these are the likeliest to not know much about guitars and list below value.

Same with misspelling Squier - I search under “Squire” all the time because you’ll usually find at least a few and again, these are often the ones who know little. Have found more than a few “Squires” super cheap!

12. MikeyH

MikeyH Squier-Meister

Jan 2, 2017
    Hawaii
    Well, your guy got the high E right anyway...

HowToStringYerTele.jpg

13. mdparent03

mdparent03 Squier-holic

May 6, 2013
    Beaumont, CA
    Makes me think that the low e side part of the nut is going to snap at any moment.

It's becoming an epidemic now. Here is another.
    Screenshot_20180708-140112.png

14. squierbilly

squierbilly Squier-holic

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    First time I had vintage tuners I didn't know you were supposed to put the end of the cut string inside the hole and bend em down.. I would just lay it in the cutout and start fighting the winding,, not liking them very much... I think I saw a video on you tube
    Where they shoved the end in the hole and kinked it down and made it look easy... And it is!.. I love vintage tuners now.. :D

15. TheKurdtz

TheKurdtz Squier-holic

Sep 13, 2017
    Holland
    not yet an EPI-demic over here;)

16. Acidhouse

Acidhouse Squier-holic

Sep 16, 2010
    Birmingham . . . Alabama
    Like others have said, I see it as an opportunity. I do searches for Squire, love to see those Squires that are missing the high e string and the ones that have the string ends shooting out like fireworks. There’s a chance for a deal . . . or a chance to buy a black Affinity covered in stickers for a mere $350.

17. twisted fingers

twisted fingers Squier-Meister

Jun 19, 2016
    carrollton, ga
    Without the internet and forums there is no telling the number of mistakes I would've made. The only other smart thing I know to do is take pics of how things were put together before I take them apart.

18. I do that with a lot of different stuff ... automotive repairs and nearly anything that requires more than a couple of different steps for re-assembly. Cheers, Barrie.

19. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Five Points, AL
    Don't forget G10 for Gio & Peavy for Peavey or better yet Teavey.

On the grammar, it's not just guitarists, some schools have higher priorities than teaching grammar, speech, basic math, etc. My wife & I spent a great deal of time teaching our son grammar, basic math & history/social studies. What he was getting in school at the least insufficient and far too often dead wrong.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018