...So you want a Harley Benton Telecaster ? ...

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by fattboyzz, Feb 13, 2019 at 9:58 AM.

1. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    That is a beautiful guitar. Very desirable. But apart from its basic shape it is not a Tele.

-don

mbroadus, Triple Jim, ElRey67 and 3 others like this.
  2. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    $131 + shipping. That's killer.

I'm an HB kind of guy. I also love the wide neck. I think it's 43mm at the nut.

Guitar Max is in love with the Harley Bentons ... as am I. But getting them shipped to the USA has some risk involved. The majority of their instruments are excellent ... but I've read some stories where people had bad experiences with them and couldn't really return overseas. So it's roll of the dice.

I've been trying to stir up some conversation over on the HB forum ... but it's almost a ghost town over there.

Pat V. and Taurus like this.
  3. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    I have two, very nitpicky comments on my HB TE-90. Neither issue affects the playability and it's still worth every penny of the $210-ish (incl. shipping). But I thought I'd mentioned them as I've talked about all the positive aspects.

When I went to change strings, the ferrules fell out of the back. I wrapped them with a little teflon tape and they're fine.

The binding in the lower f-hole has a bumpy spot. You can only see it when you're playing and look down. But I mean, binding in this price range is a bonus, so who cares?

Everyone who wants an HB should buy one now, before Thomann figures out that it's not just beginners who are buying this brand.

Pat V., ElRey67 and Eddie like this.
  4. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Can you bring up the issue to Thomann Customer Service? You may get a bit of a rebate on it if you state that you want to return. Better to give you a little back to keep it than do an international return.

fattboyzz likes this.
  5. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    I could, but it's not worth the effort. If it were something like a scratch or broken knob, I might contact them. But it's hard to see the flaws and even harder to hear them.

five teles, Eddie and drewcp like this.
  6. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-Nut

Nov 24, 2018
    Lost in my Sticks
    ...So you want a Harley Benton Telecaster ?
    Umm yes I do...

DaveDrums, fattboyzz and Eddie like this.
  7. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    We need a Harley Benton sub-section in this forum. :)

jjudas likes this.
  8. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzx:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

9. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    We need to start a website telling people how cheap and poorly constructed they are so that prices drop. Then we swoop in and buy Teles in every color and configuration.

strat_strummer and Eddie like this.
  10. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

I've also been thinking about another cheapish Tele, and saw this fantastic looking "Guarem" Tele on AliExpress for $161 shipped. Sorry, I can't copy the photo to post here for some reason, so you'll need to use the link to see it.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fre...a30faa92a9e079d18a52cf_1550094206_32284717712

Then I found this YT video, which looks like a very similar guitar. A bit of an eye opener! I'm sure Harley Bentons are different due to Thomann having the leverage to insist the manufacturer maintains agreed quality standards. With AliExp, you are buying from an unknown manufacturer through a middle man.

I didn't mind doing a fair amount of work on my $65 Walmart Sawtooth Tele, but it would be distressing to pay $160 and then have to deal with the laundry list in the video.

Eddie likes this.
  11. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    I would never buy a guitar from AliExpress. Too much can go wrong on those deals.

ElRey67 and Eddie like this.
  12. ElRey67

ElRey67 Squier-holic

Jan 10, 2016
    Chandler, AZ
    And the vid says arch top. It’s not. It’s a beveled flat top. Just sayin
    :)

Eddie likes this.
  13. jvin248

jvin248 Squier-Meister

Jan 10, 2014
    Michigan

Buying through Thomann is completely different than buying from AliExpress. There are a hundred builders on AE and if you happen to choose the same one as Thomann you better buy some lottery tickets. Thomann is being very clever.

ElRey67 and Eddie like this.
  14. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Squier-Nut

For the sake of comparison, and I've only played one of the HB Tele copies, I would have to say that they lack the quality of the least expensive Squier. This one was used, and they were asking $90, which I personally felt was a little too much. Again, this was the only one that I've ever played, so, who knows?

ElRey67 likes this.
  15. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Feb 16, 2018
    North Central NC
    Have you had a bad experience with AliExpress? I thought they were sort of like eBay, with some buyer protection, but I didn't have any problems with the things I've bought through them, so I didn't have to test that theory.

Now buying from Ali Baba would be different I think, because there I believe you're dealing just with the seller.

16. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    I'm not too excited about these guitars. If I'm going for a cheap guitar I'll stick with a Squier.

mbroadus and ElRey67 like this.
  17. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    No I have not. Sorry, I was thinking of Ali Baba when i made that comment.

Triple Jim likes this.
  18. Dave M

Dave M Squier-Meister

Feb 27, 2017
    Mira Loma, CA
    here's a real great teacher and guitar player, he could make a 2/4 and a nail sound good...

ElRey67 and strat_strummer like this.