So you bought a $100 blue burst Strat off eBay :)

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by fattboyzz, Feb 1, 2019.

1. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
  2. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    $100 is a lot of money. ha ha. $150 gets you a Harley Benton that can compete with the big boys.

Taurus likes this.
  3. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Squier-Nut

Jan 29, 2017
    ABQ
    He’s one of the few guitar guys I unsubscribed from.

theflow and Pat V. like this.
  4. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    I like his no drama channel . Even though I don't watch all his stuff ,I do enjoy most of it ;0)

mbroadus, techowiz, Taurus and 2 others like this.
  5. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    I think Ralph bought one of these but I don't remember if it worked out for him.

dbrian66 likes this.
  6. Ace38

Ace38 Squier-Nut

Jul 19, 2016
    Tulsa, OK.
    That's one pretty burst! I find myself wanting one. The monoprice website says the body is basswood.

Taurus, dbrian66 and Davey like this.
  7. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    Is "unsurprising" a word? If so, it was unsurprising that he had a few laughs. I did buy one of the Indio teles and it was a solid build for $99. When I went to cut down the herd, I had no takers on Craigs. Off with the neck and on to ebay as a loaded body, it brought in $75-$85, and I still have a nice project neck. Unsurprising, no complaints here.

8. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016

I did. And I have it. But I paid something like $70 to $80 for it because there was free shipping (which still is I think) and some discount on top of a sale or something. Plus it was on a day of the week with a "day" in the name. LOL.

I did my usual complaining because I was comparing it to an earlier editon of the Strat clone, the California Classic, that I got in 2017. That one came perfectly set up and intonated. This one ... wasn't.

But you folks told me I could try to do my own setup. So I bought strings, a better set of feeler gauges, one of those string gauge ruler and even a set of radius templates. It turned out the last two I never got around to using very much, although I did use the templates a little. I guess I should sell them or give them away or something.

Anyway after I did a setup it turned out I really liked it a lot. It sounds a little different than my '17 Monoprice guitar, maybe because of the maple fingerboard versus the rosewood.

I did get a whammy bar with mine and the free gig bag was a lot better than the one that came in the older Strat clone. One downgrade was that the pickguard is a one-ply thick slab of whatever where the older Monoprice had a nicer 3-ply guard.

I don't use the whammy much and I don't know much about setting the whammy so I just more or less kept it flat.

One interesting thing is the reviewer said the radius appears to be 12 inches. The Monoprice web site says it is 9.5 inches. That's the radius gauge I used. I may recheck it, however. He also said he couldn't find any specs on the guitar and they are all over the Monoprice web site.

But I do pretty much agree with him. The neck is fantastic. The tuners are not "bad" but not as good as the ones on my other Monoprice. He says the trem block is junk and he is probably right.

Actually I have not taken the guitar in to be professionally set up as my modest work has gotten it into the neighborhood. I may still do that ... and I really should. But I probably won't.

jbrowning, Taurus, VealCutlet and 5 others like this.
  9. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-Nut

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    Thanks for the video!

dbrian66 and fattboyzz like this.
  10. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-Nut

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    Thanks a lot for the review!

Kenneth Mountain and dbrian66 like this.
  11. Ace38

Ace38 Squier-Nut

Jul 19, 2016
    Tulsa, OK.
  12. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

I bought an Indio P-bass last year and it's pretty much the same, except I had to fix a too-low nut slot and replace the output jack. I paid $109 and am very happy with it.

Kenneth Mountain, dbrian66 and Caddy like this.
  13. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    I was just fixing to post this video . Thanks :)

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  14. Taurus

Taurus Squier-Nut

Sep 8, 2018
    Liverpool, United Kingdom
    I saw this and here’s my thoughts. For the same price (£99) you can have a brand new Squier Bullet Strat (or £80 for an older unsold Bullet Strat model from Argos) and maybe be better to invest in that and get mods instead.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  15. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    3rd video is up.

Setting it up .

16. kjmac

kjmac Squier-Nut

Aug 14, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    I bought a Monoprice Tele copy for $65.00 on sale and I would have to say it was a good deal. I swapped out the pickups and electronics for some GFS stuff and put in a set of Wilkinson Tuners. That and a 5 minute fret dress and it turned out to be a pretty nice guitar.

Monoprice Green Tele.jpg

17. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    I like yours better than the Strat in the video :)

Caddy likes this.
  18. waynes world

waynes world Squier-Meister

Jan 27, 2019
    Saskatoon
    Have a hard time trusting a China made guitar, now those Squier workers in Indonesia deserve a raise for the nice work!

mbroadus, theflow and Triple Jim like this.
  19. itsyourboyGru

itsyourboyGru Squier Talker

Jan 20, 2019
    Miami, Fl
    That blue burst is nice

johnnywizzo and BlueSquirrel like this.
  20. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-Nut

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    That's very interesting, thanks!

fattboyzz likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice