So we really can't play

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by squierplayer, Feb 10, 2019.

1. squierplayer

squierplayer Squier-Nut

Feb 27, 2011
    Wisconsin
    My friend Dave used to ask me, why do i suck. i said because i can't be as good as i want to be.
    Say no more

squierbilly and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  2. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    One watches/listens to a player like SRV and then looks at one's self... There ain't no there there.

'Tis a fact. But in one sense an unfair and, for that matter, a destructive one.

Today anyone anywhere at almost any time can here and experience the small percentage of humans with exceptional gifts and opportunities. In music, yes, but actually in anything. Painting. Wood carving. Cake baking.

That wasn't so through the vast majority of human history,

Think back less than a a hundred years and the average musician played for the people in his/her family, their friends, and maybe a slightly larger group. That audience appreciated what they were hearing. They enjoyed their friend/family member/community member with no hard comparisons in mind. Just the music itself. The daughter at the piano showing her latest piece, the guy with the guitar or fiddle that allowed everyone to dance and sing and laugh and enjoy.

Now they compare you and me to Stevie Ray. Or as likely, don't, but we think they must be doing so and thus that what we are providing means little.

That is the way the world is. And barring slick-haired, big-eyed, politician banning modernity it is not going to go back to the way it was.

But we can ignore it.
    We can encourage one-another.
    We can learn to compare ourselves only to ourselves. Our growth. Our latent talents large or small being developed.
    Or we can do what I've largely done. Tell the world to bugger off and just enjoy our life with the few people that really love and appreciate us.

Bugger off world!

-don

3. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Squier-Nut

Jan 19, 2018
    GA USA
    I ran across this yesterday. Arrgh!

4. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Yeah, it's like watching all pro NFL or NBA players. They're at an elite level. Heck, we can all play football or basketball ... and with enough practice, we may even be able to rock the playground.

SRV is in a different dimension. Something must have been in the genes between him and his brother ... mom must have been a musical prodigy and didn't even know it.

5. duzie

duzie Squier Talker

Jul 8, 2017
    Nw New Jersey
  6. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Squier-Meister

Apr 6, 2014
    Wokingham England
    I started going to a local college evening 'rock school' class about 4 -5 years ago. It really got me interested in guitars again and I've been playing on and off since about 1973. The first class I went to had mostly beginners, plus my neighbour who had told me about the class who hasn't played very long either, so I felt like I wasn't the worst in the class and enjoyed the 'big fish in the little pond' syndrome.

However, time quickly moved on and other people joined and they split us into 'advanced' and 'beginner' groups, with me in the former. Pretty soon I've found myself wishing I could play as well as some of the newer people who have joined: They can do all this 'sweep picking' and 'fret tapping' stuff that is lost on me. I barely know what names are for the various 'modes' let alone can actually play them. Most weeks I struggle to learn/play stuff that the other 'advanced' guys can seemingly do with little effort (I suspect they pre-learn stuff beforehand though ;) ). Makes me feel a bit despondent at times

I'm pretty reasonable at rhythm (since I know a lot of chords and have a decent sense of timing from also playing drums), but I only really know the blues scale and some variations on it...definitely the little fish in the big pond now. :oops:

However, there are enough songs that I know well enough to stand up and play in front of an audience and feel confident enough to perform. I'm no SRV, but for those 20-30 songs I really enjoy myself playing, even if I'm blagging some of the fancier licks and for that time on stage I feel like the rock star I wanted to be...

...I just try not to look at the photos or videos afterwards as it never sounds the same as it seemed at the time and the old fat man playing my Strat doesn't look as young as he thinks he is. :oops::D

7. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    So we really can't play ...

...Like :eek::eek:Stevie Ray .

That my friend is a fact . .. but I don't care :p

8. Cobra

Cobra Squier-Meister

Mar 8, 2018
    Florida
    No one is going to sound like Stevie Ray because we are not him. Mimicking him is the best we can hope for.
    We can try to learn to play with the feel that he has but we can never be him.
    I’m good with that because I want to play like me, with my feel, with my soul.

9. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Squier-Meister

Apr 6, 2014
    Wokingham England
    To be honest; I'd never knowingly heard an SRV track until a few months ago when a friend gave me a CD of his stuff. Actually he's not that bad is he? :D There are also many other well known/respected guitar players that I've never really listened to, but I'm slowly expanding my knowledge.

I won't play like them, but it's not really my aim, though I'm sure I do get influenced by other players. I just want to play better than I do now and know that really I just need to practice more and read forums/internet guitar shops less...but where's the fun in that? :);)

10. squierplayer

squierplayer Squier-Nut

Feb 27, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Well, I guuess my point was that guys like Stevie just know where to go. He just had to learn the "licks" (very simplified). In my opinion music was born in him. There are more, how did Dickey just go to Mars with Duane and play harmony like they did? Yeah, I know they practised and I don't really like to compair musicians. But for the sake of this conversation we need to. Warren Haynes is one of my favorite guitar players in the world. But he learned Allman Brothers songs. Duane and Dick did it. I think Double Trouble Was another band like the ABB. Never been done before and won't be done again. Soon. These guys didn't have degrees from MIT or some place equivelent.They just did it.Many others too! Maybe we should turn this thread in that direction. Who is good and who is GREAT. What do ya think?

11. duzie

duzie Squier Talker

Jul 8, 2017
    Nw New Jersey
    I’m thinking Uli is one of the most accomplished guitarists covering so many styles throughout his career!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  12. RetiredNSquired

RetiredNSquired Squier-Nut

Jun 20, 2018
    Canton, Ga
    Some people are born with a special spark, a certain genetic combination, a magical connection to the ethereal plane....... whatever. They can produce whatever they produce (art, writing, music) at a level that just years of practice can never really explain. The best we ordinary mortals can do is enjoy and appreciate what has been given to us thru them. The beautiful thing about these gifts is, we all do posses them, albeit at maybe a different level. When you play, it is YOUR music coming out. Not something that can be measured and compared to maybe SRV, but music that's a part of you, delivered from your own soul. Just appreciate it for that, at whatever level. ( I know, I get a bit metaphysical about music, I guess a product of growing up in the 60"s?)

Kenneth Mountain and duzie like this.
  13. Tconroy

Tconroy Squier-Nut

Sep 11, 2015
    kansas city mo
    He played 24-7 and didnt have a very good childhood so his music was all he had and wanted with a passion beyond most everyone. When I play my best it is on a weekend when all the #$@$ from the week is out of my head. Basket ball players need to get into the "zone" and start making shots without even thinking about it. Stevie was always in the zone and played from his heart and soul. He was the music, the guitar just transferred it out of him so we all could hear it.

Cobra and Matt Shevell like this.
  14. wildelectric

wildelectric Squier-Meister

Sep 23, 2016
    Moline, IL
    Amen.

Find what you're good at, develop yourself in it, then use it for you own benefit and enjoyment and in the service of others, IMHO.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  15. mikm

mikm Dr. Squier

Jun 4, 2012
    NY
    • Not a SRV fan but I know he was a great player and got nothing but respect for him. There are some more I can add to that list that I can say I would never have any of their stuff in my collection but they sure could play. Maybe Prince, Eddie Van Halen, Joe Satriani and there are more but one guy that just blows me away with ability and talent whenever I hear him play anything is John5! I just can't comprehend how somebody can have that much ability! It just boggles my mind!

16. itsyourboyGru

itsyourboyGru Squier Talker

Jan 20, 2019
    Miami, Fl
    I have accepted the reality that "I dont know how to play guitar" and its OK.

17. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Squier-Nut

Wait a minute guys.
    Think about how often YOU are the best guitarist in the room.
    Like right now, quite likely. Grab your favorite instrument, sit down and enjoy your gift.

18. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-Nut

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow, Scotland
    My playing is rubbish because I am lazy and easily distracted ..

19. Jay Jackson

Jay Jackson Squier-Meister

Sep 1, 2018
    sanluisobispo CA (3401
    well I shure aint no SRV,Hendrix or Clapton But I am Not often told to stop playing. I look at it this way if I can add something to the Mix even if its just two notes Then I contributed to the sound of the over all feel to the song,jam,passage.