So much going on

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by duceditor, Sep 18, 2019.

1. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    "For everything there is a season." So said wise King Solomon. To which Pete Seeger and the Byrds added the phrase "trun, turn, turn." And they were all right. Life is that,and things do indeed "turn."

Lately my life has been, if not actually "overwhelmed," then certainly turned a bit on its head by life's "stuff." The friend who had for four years lived in the nicest of our cottages got a sudden job offer and in less than a week was gone. He was (and is) a great guy, but he left the cottage, if I word it kindy, a complete shambles. Jan and I are spending several hours each day trying to make it right. Over a week of that has almost finished what needs to be done to make just one of its four rooms properly again inhabitable. And it was among the least messed up.

(sigh)

Then there is the electrical project going on in full force.

Our home is over a hundred years old. Some of the electrical was updated over the years, but when we lost power for three weeks following a huge ice storm back in `08 the actual feed to the home was juryrigged and only now, over ten years later, is that being set right. New electric poles, an entirely new feed into a different part of the house, and a large increase in available amperage.

The biggest cost is being picked up by the power company -- all praise for that! (and are we, and our electrician, surprised!) But still, there is much work inside the home that is now required -- and rightfully done. Cost and time.

Friends are helping with much of this. Even new roofing on the cottage -- being put on by a friend -- because being without a tenant now seemed the time for that.

But busy, busy, busy. Mind and body occupied. And both are protesting that fact! :)

Oh, age, where is thy sting?

Anyhow, none of this is meant as a whine. Just an explanation of my recent quietude.

-don

Turn, Turn, Turn (For everything There is a Season)

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:
    A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, a time to reap that which is planted;
    A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;
    A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
    A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together;
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
    A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;
    A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
    A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace

2. mofojar

mofojar Squier-Nut

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    Sounds like you have a lot to keep you busy! I wish you all the best in getting this sorted before Old Man Winter knocks on your door.

squierbilly, duceditor and mb doug like this.
  3. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    Sometimes life is just ... 09.gif

Kenneth Mountain and mofojar like this.
  4. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA

Uh huh.

And that is why we have friends, eh?

Here's one of mine. Knowing that I cannot get onto a ladder, much less stand on a steeply slanted roof, he simply took on this project. Reroofing the cottage. Made suggestions as to what would be needed, notified by Jan that it had arrived yesterday, and this morning we hear hin scraping and hammering. What a guy!

Marc Roofing.jpg

Oh, and since every stereotype needs to fall... this friend (actually, at least initially, of my son) recently took early retirement from an upper tier position in tech project management, his wife is a VP at a major corporation, he owns a weekend home on an island that can only be reached by boat (and so, natch, he has a lovely boat), oh, and he is the owner of a rare, totally pristine, '64 vette Stingray convertible.

All that and how does he spend his days? Not rarely doing stuff like this for 'nobody' people like us.

Whenever I see the darkness I try to remember that there also is such light.

:)

-don

5. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.

Those who give their shirts from their own back are rare in this day & time !

You've been blessed with one for sure ;)

6. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    Don, I suspect that you have great friends because you've been a great friend..What goes around..

7. mofojar

mofojar Squier-Nut

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    Yup, karma in action!

8. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Papa, I try to have that spirit, but lack many of the skills that enable others to be of real help.

But your idea and Mofojar's re what some call "Karma" is, I think, true. The world we experience is a reflection of our own countenance. My "creed" to the extent that I have one is, simply put, "Smile at the universe and it will smile back at you."

-don

mofojar likes this.
  9. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA

Well, Marc this past week finished the roof. The entire thing. By himself.

Today he came by just to talk and sip whiskey. Jan and I again reiterated that when we asked for his help/advice it was NOT with the idea of just taking, but of our hiring him.

"There's nothing I need" he said. "I can't take you money. How about barter - an exchange?"

"Sure" we said, what can we do for you?"

Marc sings with a group of musicians. Just this past week one of them saw one of my videos and asked if I might be willing to jam with them.

"Don doesn't get around too much anymore" he told them. "Do you think he'd be okay with us going to his place and spending some time playing together?"

So that is what Marc asked for as "barter." That I invite his friends to come by and Jam with Jan and me.

In dollar terms this may be the best gig I was ever offered. The complete roofing of a four room cottage for a couple of hours of music making.

Yup, friends. People like Marc. There is nothing better in this world.

-don

PS - The cottage project is not done yet. Marc also plans to reside one part of it and replace the door.

I wonder what that will "cost"? :D

Screen Shot 2019-10-04 at 8.55.19 PM.png

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    mofojar, Best1989, MrYeats and 2 others like this.
  10. squierbilly

squierbilly Dr. Squier

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    A jaunt through the monadnocks in a 64 vette with the top off
    is where id have to draw the line!.. :D

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  11. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    Padre Island
    That is all such a great story. You got a real angel on your shoulder.

12. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    One room in the cottage (almost) done. (Or should that be that the works and lifestyle of the tenant have been undone?)

NC Bedroom 1.jpg

Three more to go.

-don

MrYeats and squierbilly like this.
  13. Hotrod89

Hotrod89 Squier-Meister

Feb 21, 2015
    Alabama
    Man, that’s a beautiful room. I’d love to live a house that looked like that.

14. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Thanks.

This is an updated actors cottage from the early nineteen teens when the property was known as the Out Door Players -- a summer professional theater group.

There were originally 10 such cottages plus what was then called The Main Bungalow -- now called "Don and Jan's house."

There's been a lot of interest in the property of late. In fact we spent several hours Thursday morning with a newspaper reporter who is doing a piece on it. Expected to be out in next Tuesday's edition.

(I'll post that if I can.)

:)

-don

Out-Door Players Advert.jpg

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019 at 9:39 PM
    -r3- likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice