Snow!

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by AllroyPA, Feb 17, 2018.

1. MrSinister

MrSinister Squier-Meister

Sep 24, 2017
    Earth
    From 1:30 pm to 7:30 pm, 22 inches fell here in Northern NJ. I'm about a half hour away from my third shift of shoveling. It thundered a few times while I was outside, and I just heard on the news that a woman holding an umbrella had been hit by lightning a couple towns over. At one point I thought I was being pelted by snowballs, but it was just these massive wads of snow falling out of the trees. Good times.

Bluzy, AllroyPA and Big tuna like this.
  2. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Just took this pano shot out on the front porch. The snow is still falling. Maybe 10 inches so far.

Panarama -- the Porch -- after March Nor'easter FB Copy.jpg

-don

mb doug and wonkenstein like this.
  3. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-Nut

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    We got ours - started in late yesterday afternoon, going heavy by 6:00 pm and we woke up to a foot this morning. Schools and many things are closed/canceled today but I made it to work. I'll dig out after work.

4. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-Nut

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    When you went to church I hope you didn't pray for snow ;-)

5. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-Nut

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    Got wood?

radiotech, DrBeGood and duceditor like this.
  6. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Yup.

We had some forestry done about six years ago. Sold most of the wood but held onto enough to have helped keep us warm since then.

With fuel oil less crazily priced now than it was then we are using far less of it -- and staying warmer. Good thing too, as the price of quality aged firewood has gone skyward.

Yesterday, as we celebrated our anniversary in the home as the nor'easer came through, we had a lovely warming fire going in the kitchen.

I love the scent and the sound. Especially mixed with the scent of baking bread -- yesterday Jan's braided chocolate cherry bread. Yum! :)

kiche fireplace.jpg Chocolate Cherry Bread -- Just Out of the Oven.jpg

-don

7. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    I was gonna say ...

8. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Heh... Don wakes up with wood every day....

It was just his anniversary!

9. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Well then that's what it was. It's going on a little more than a month now. No time or money for a pro opinion and kinda too late now.

wonkenstein likes this.
  10. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-Nut

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    It's not just the wood - it's the fresh bread that keeps things moving.

radiotech likes this.
  11. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-Nut

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    I selected Like for this but that's really not a thing you can like. Ice then, and go as easy on it as you can get away with.

duceditor and so1om like this.
  12. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    The Nor'easter is now largely past. Our plow guy just came through so I'll shortly head out to clear the paths.

Being in with no requirement to go anywhere, we are enjoying the natural beauty. (The roads make such impossible with duties to perform. Accidents said to be everywhere!)

Still, let's find beauty where we may.

March Nor'easter.jpg

-don

mb doug likes this.
  13. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Just dug us out. Well, the snow-blower did with me guiding the way ("here boy! Over here!") with some clean ups 'round the grill, the spa and the porch steps.

Heavy and wet snow but the blower cut through it with ease -- and it didn't blow back in my face! Yeah for that!

Mighty beautiful, too. :)

2018-03-08_11-21-34_032.jpeg
    2018-03-08_11-20-25_583.jpeg

-don

daan, mb doug and Las Palmas Norte like this.
  14. Very picturesque ... and I can almost smell the bread from here. Cheers, Barrie.

15. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Nice property Don ! And those firewood chords ! Looks like they're part of the design of the porch, which is huge by the way.

duceditor likes this.
  16. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    We're not quite half way through this Nor'easter. Present prediction of 12 to 15 inches are lower than those earlier. But with the house well stocked, and nowhere to run, we're not too concerned -- at least for ourselves.

The woodstove is cranking. I have a pot of vegetable and sausage soup sitting there, bubbling away.

Come what will! (The only way to take life on a day like today, unless you're wearing armor. And armor rusts.) :)

Here's the current view out our bedroom's glass wall...

The Yard.jpg

-don

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  17. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    In New England, we're 3 Nor'easters for the last 3 weeks. Southern RI has escaped a lasting snow fall until today, expecting 12 - 18" although we're not near that yet. Half the day before the storm is spent getting ready for the storm, stuck in the house on the day of the storm, and another half day lost after the storm cleaning up.
    There has been some waves, but with wind gusts rocking the house, it's hardly worth a paddle out only to be worked over in the surf...........maybe tomorrow after shoveling.

Las Palmas Norte and duceditor like this.
  18. archetype

archetype Squier-Meister

Oct 24, 2017
    Williamsville, NY USA
    Yeah! Love the racks full of wood. Out in the country, years ago, I heated with wood exclusively for about 3 years. When I moved to a different house, closer to the city, it just felt *wrong* not to have a winter's worth of wood stacked. Wood heat is cheap insurance against power failure.

duceditor likes this.
  19. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Squier-Axpert

Dec 14, 2009
    Philly Area
    Hopefully this kind of weather ends for the season and the region soon enough, be well up there sir !

duceditor and Las Palmas Norte like this.
  20. What a contrast from the PNW ... a bit of rain today, but yesterday was 70°F in many locations. Seattle was 64°F at 10pm last night.
    Cheers, Barrie.

duceditor likes this.