Small acoustic guitar for electric-guitar player.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Practical Senses, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Practical Senses

Practical Senses Squier Talker

Feb 25, 2018
    Ukraine
    Hello !
    Please recommend me a small size-body (maybe short scale) acoustic guitar.
    I'm a long time electric-guitar player (currently own Squier Telecaster Standard), but want to have some acoustic to travel around and also practicing without amp at home.
    I've never played acoustic and want something with comfortable neck, not huge and not expensive (100-300$ would be perfect)
    Thanks!

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  2. rbh32

rbh32 Squier Talker

Feb 12, 2018
    Valley, AL
    I have a Martin LX-1 that I’m pretty fond of. It’s a little shorter scale than 24”, can’t remember exactly. The Taylor baby Taylor are the same specs, but I think the Martin is built sturdier.

3. kjmac

kjmac Squier-Meister

Aug 14, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Ibanez makes a Talman style acoustic electric and they are similar in size to their Talman electrics. They are also quite reasonable in price. This particular one is on sale right now at Musician's Friend for $169.99. It would be a perfect size for someone who is used to playing an electric.

Ibanez Talman.png

Kenneth Mountain and techowiz like this.
  4. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-Meister

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    fattboyzz and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  5. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
  6. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Squier-holic

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Consider an Ovation. Keep in mind that I bought mine in 1988 for about $300 and specs may have changed.

EDIT: Their budget brand is Applause.

The plastic body gives you less to worry about if you take it out of the house. Mine, a Celebrity, is in between a parlour and concert size. So it's managable. It puts out a pretty full sound - not as full or warm as a solid wood acoustic, but better than many solid top/laminate body acoustics that I've played. It must be the tone plastic.

The negatives are that the neck is narrow and the round back tries to slide off your lap. You have to exert a little extra downward pressure with the strumming/picking arm to keep it in place.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  7. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Five Points, AL
    The closest guitar playing wise to an electric is Ovation or Applause. If you can work with the round back, the necks and action is closest to an electric and the body is...maybe around a 00. Definitely smaller than a dreadnought.

8. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    dbrian66 likes this.
  9. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Looks like they have a nylon string model as well. Intriguing!

10. Paully

Paully Squier-holic

May 29, 2014
    Maine USA
    Yamaha FG800

dbrian66 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  11. sooper8

sooper8 Squier-Meister

Mar 13, 2012
    UK
    My son has a superb sounding 3/4 Aria Auditorium (not sure of model number), it is super playable
    I had a nice looking 3/4 Fender Sonoran California series but it wasn't a patch on the Aria

12. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    For a smaller body the Ibanez AC240 is hard to beat for $300. Have one and love it (and I have always played mostly acoustics for the past 60 years, and have over a dozen acoustics). The Ibanez is my favorite of my acoustics.

That or a Yamaha FS 800 or 820. A bit larger body than the Ibanez, but small than a dread. Really nice guitars.

Both those are the most often recommended lower cost guitars over at The Acoustic Guitar forum. (and those guys know acoustics).

13. dtsreiuqs

dtsreiuqs Squier-Meister

Oct 18, 2015
    France
    A Gretsch G100 or New-Yorker (RIs) :

Here's my G100. It's a 16" :

[​IMG]

Or you have the G400 (RI) - bigger with 17" - wonderfully sounding (think Gibson L12) but more costy and scarce to find because out of production. Here's mine :

[​IMG]

But OK, it may not be your conception of "a small acoustic guitar for electric player"... :D

A+!

14. VealCutlet

VealCutlet Squier-Nut

Aug 9, 2011
    Brookyn, NYC
    I recently bought a fender FA 135CE and like it a lot. Paid $120 open box from MF. Action is electric-like. Easy to play and pretty comfortable.

dbrian66 likes this.
  15. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-Meister

Nov 29, 2017
    Sharpsburg ,Ga.
    I played a Taylor big baby at our local GC a few days ago . Very nice all around !

dbrian66 likes this.
  16. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    I just bought this guitar a couple weeks ago. It’s an Ibanez AEF30e.

98358613-36DA-494D-A98E-25538E61AA7E.jpeg

It’s a smaller body guitar that plays pretty good. I bought it to flip, but I might just keep this one. It’s very comfortable to play. Here is a pic of it next to my AEL20 12 string. You can see how much thinner the body is.

B3B69F3C-32CE-4600-93A2-1952895128EB.jpeg

Practical Senses and fattboyzz like this.
  17. willhowl

willhowl Squier-holic

Dec 19, 2011
    Houston Texas
    Old thread, but.....I was in Rockin' Robin guitar shop the other day, and tried out a Recording King...parlor size,solid top.....don't remember the model #, but was very impressed........

$200 USD....looked good, felt and sounded very good.....worth a look....

Seemed like an old Harmony copy, but WAY better ......I'll look for a link........here 'it is................................willhowlhttps://www.guitarcenter.com/Recording-King/Dirty-Thirties-Solid-Top-Single-O-Satin-Sunburst-1361202707767.gc

RoyalWe and dbrian66 like this.
  18. Practical Senses

Practical Senses Squier Talker

Feb 25, 2018
    Ukraine
    Thank you all very much!
    I save this page with all your advice for my future possible purchase.
    But, It happen that I've got a MIM thinline telecaster, which is not small acoustic, but also costs me around 300$ and will be a nice pair to my current tele :)
    Фото-0020.jpg

wickedtools, so1om and dbrian66 like this.
  19. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Woah! Now that is a good looking choice! 2 for 1!

Practical Senses likes this.