Slimming Down

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by IronSchef, Apr 16, 2018.

1. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Flew here on my Dragonfly
    After a few years of build-up (several mods, builds, purchases), I came to the "sudden" realization that I had WAY too many guitars (21)! :eek: Some really nice guitars were sitting unused, and on top of that I have found that one of my guitars truly has become my "#1", so much so that I rarely play ANY other guitars anymore.

So, I took a good look at my collection and started targeting candidates for "downsizing" -- I will never part w/ any of my 8 Custom Builds, or any of the guitars I have significantly modded, so I figured anything totally "stock" is expendable.

Got 3 nice guitars out to new folks in the past couple of weeks- a Squier Master Series Thinline, an MIM Deluxe Strat, and an Epi SG400 Pro. Down to 18 now (16 electrics, only 2 of which are still "stock"), and I'm not GASing for anything now, either.

Feels good to slim down sometimes! :)

2. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I'm in the same boat. Anything unmodified at this point is a candidate for re-sale. But that'll still leave me with over 15 guitars. At least that's a reasonable number.

Going to GAS for "specials" only now.

I love my NC's, but I'm going to have to move a black NC4 Bullet soon. I'll post it here once I un-modify it. The custom RRG work is worth more than the guitar.

3. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Dr. Squier

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    I stare at my racks and try to figure out which ones I really don't need - then I wake up sweating / shaking and wondering what I ate before I went to bed to give me such nightmares ! lol

4. Luvs2yoko

Luvs2yoko Squier-holic

Jan 19, 2014
    Pa
    Always feels good to downsize.I have no problem selling stock guitars. It's the builds that hate to part with.

5. Treynor

Treynor Squier-holic

Jun 22, 2016
    Dallas, Texas
    "Losing a little weight" in gear can be a good thing. Before the recent move to our new home, I slimmed the electric collection from 15 to 12, and my amp collection from 6 to 4. I'm very happy with the amp situation, but I do believe I will be thinning the herd of guitars some more. Of my 12, 4 are in a closet. So right now I'm thinking of going to 8 that are readily available with no more in the closet. We'll see...

6. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    Congratulations on doing what you feel the need to do. Me? I aint getting rid of NOTHING :) even the guitars I am not so hot on I have some weird attachment to.

I have a few acoustics both classical and folk that I would like to see leave. Thing of it is, they all need some attention before I set them free and seems I have something else to do all the time :)

7. jamndad

jamndad Squier-holic

Nov 23, 2013
    Bakersfield, Ca.
    Just sold the first Tele that I bought back in 2013; the orange, FSR, Bullet H/S. Was kinda bittersweet. Lookin' to move three more to fund another Strat for a Steve Gaines tribute.

8. jamndad

jamndad Squier-holic

Nov 23, 2013
    Bakersfield, Ca.
    Just sold the first Tele that I bought back in 2013; the orange, FSR, Bullet H/S. Was kinda bittersweet. Lookin' to move three more to fund another Strat for a Steve Gaines tribute.

Kenneth Mountain and IronSchef like this.
  9. surfrodguitar

surfrodguitar Squier-holic

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    I am way slim right now! But I feel underweight, No Tele at the moment. That is the only GAS I am feeling right now but I am going to choose wisely. My lineup right now is a Jag, Strat and a surfcaster that is out of commission. ON the hunt for the right Tele.

10. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Squier-Nut

Jan 19, 2018
    GA USA
    Did it once in '92 and sold some gear I regret selling, including a '73 Strat. Never again!

11. snivlem

snivlem Squier-Nut

Jan 25, 2018
    FL
    I was glad to take on some of your excess weight!

12. Ya ... you're not alone @IronSchef . I have my eye on a FSR Classic Vibe right now but can't seem to commit. Price is right and 6 months ago it would have been a no brainer.
    Cheers, Barrie.

13. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    I am in much the same place. Owned only a couple acoustics, a banjo, a mandolin and a fiddle from the mid 70's until I picked up one used electric from a buddy's music store in the mid 90's.

Once I retired a bit over ten years ago and had a lot more time to play I began adding more electrics (and acoustics). Really got out of hand. I now have 16 electrics, 11 acoustics in addition to my five string banjo, a mandolin, a fiddle, three ukuleles and a mountain dulcimer. (Recently gave away one of my 12 string acoustics).

Now I am having some buyers' remorse, not for the acoustics but for the electrics. Wish I had not bought so many electrics and had used that money for acoustics. I haven't even touched an electric in nearly a month and really have little desire to do so.

Now I am wondering what to do with most of the electrics. Don't want the hassle of shipping them or the hassle of listing them on CL. The only other option would be selling them to GC and getting very little for them. :(

Big tuna, Hoss, surfrodguitar and 3 others like this.
  14. Lonn

Lonn Administrator Staff Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    Admin Post
    You sold am MM Deluxe Strat?

IronSchef likes this.
  15. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Flew here on my Dragonfly
    snivlem likes this.
  16. Lonn

Lonn Administrator Staff Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    Admin Post
    Ahh that one. There's one of those on the Chicago CL for $300.

17. Ray Stankewitz

Ray Stankewitz Squier-Meister

Oct 11, 2014
    Fremont, CA
    I dunno, guys. I was always taught, "You can never have too many instruments." That was imparted upon me by a wise uncle who had maybe two hundred guitars in his house. No joke. I think he had at least twenty Gibson mandolins, a dozen or so vintage '20's and '30's Vega Banjos. He even had two Kay contra-basses, one totally original and one that was professionally painted white that he played at church.

When he passed away, my aunt sold the whole lot to a local music store for pennies on the dollar. He had tags on various gits saying who they were to go to. She ignored them, selling the lot. We found the tags when she passed, all stuffed in a drawer in the roll top desk.

There's a moral to that story somewhere . . .

Treynor and IronSchef like this.
  18. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Squier-Nut

Jan 19, 2018
    GA USA
    I plan on my family having a great, but reasonably priced, estate sale after I'm gone. Tons of guitars, amps, tools, parts, etc. Somebody will have a lot of fun there, unless my wife or son decides to donate everything to a local thrift store instead...

surfrodguitar and IronSchef like this.
  19. Hoss

Hoss Squier-holic

Dec 20, 2009
    McGill, Nevada
    Heck, I've only got 3 electrics and one acoustic and my GAS has disappeared. My two amps, the PRRI and the Deluxe I built fill the amp needs so, unless some stupid deal like that 66 Mustang comes along, I'm good. Kinda hoping somebody local will list a 67 Tele with Bigsby for a couple hunnerd :)

Big tuna, jamndad, IronSchef and 2 others like this.
  20. jagmaster

jagmaster Squier-Meister

Jan 4, 2018
    New Zealand
    I got ruthless and sold almost all my gear a couple years ago. Since then I've acquired.. well, more like, 'curated' 4 new (to me) electrics, and am about to buy a 5th. That is my absolute self-imposed limit- if I want more after that, I'm going to have to want them more than any of my current ones as I'll implement the 'one in, one out' rule. I also have two tube amps and a solid state amp so I'm using the same rule for amps!

I'm satisfied with what I have and each of my guitars/amps serves a purpose. If I didn't set rules for myself I'd end up with way too much gear, and I've got other priorities at the moment. Having a relatively 'slim' herd feels good for where I'm at.

Treynor, IronSchef and surfrodguitar like this.