Show your Bronco!

Discussion in 'The Squier Bass Place' started by RoyalWe, Dec 13, 2017.

1. fuelish

fuelish Squier-Meister

Yeah, I have a black one as well, currently bone stock but have considered a lipstick pup..
    Would look better, and surely couldn't be any worse than the stock pup. NOW, if only I could play/think like a bassist...I definitely sound like a guitarist playing a bass, if that makes sense

2. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    As posted in my original Bronco thread:
    263D51DC-BED8-4130-BBAD-6357295B5622.jpeg
    Unfortunately, the Shop selling them (guitarheads), is out of this model, but they abound (albeit at higher prices) all over ebay with similar specs. The extended versions (with full plate) have the same spacing.
    E77D55C0-8BF9-4E81-8796-AED28C258594.jpeg
    There’s more than enough room for this bridge as well.

so1om and chimneysweep like this.
  3. chimneysweep

chimneysweep Squier-holic

Jul 13, 2015
    CA
  4. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-Nut

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    You apply brown shoe polish to the neck much the same way you would a pair of shoes. The way I personally did it was as follows: Light show polish on fire to melt the top, extinguish. Now that its liquid its a little easier to apply, apply with a soft cloth. After letting it harden, I hit it with a hair drier to kinda get it to set as much as it will, then buffed it all off. REPEAT.
    I only did 2 "coats", but I've heard of many people doing more. The buffing process takes a bit of time and elbow grease, but finally the sticky/gripping feeling of the polish will be gone and the neck will still have a good tinting.

benjammin420, radiotech and LDS714 like this.
  5. LDS714

LDS714 Squier-Meister

Oct 23, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    Very cool. Similar to the way we used to hot wax the barracks floors in the Army way back in the day.

6. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-Nut

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    Hahaha, pretty much! I got most of my skill and expertise in shoe polish from my days polishing my jump boots for inspections lol

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    radiotech likes this.
  7. MOD-VM70

MOD-VM70 Squier-Meister

Nov 11, 2016
    Florida
    How do we know that bottom bridge is going to be an improvement over stock, like the the one you installed? I see one on ebay that looks like that for about $9 with shipping on the slow boat. My son has a Bronco and I might buy this for him but how do we know we won't end up with something no better than the stock unit?

8. chimneysweep

Jul 13, 2015
    CA
    If you read the other thread that radio tech made reference to, he made a firsthand comparison

radiotech likes this.
  9. MOD-VM70

MOD-VM70 Squier-Meister

Nov 11, 2016
    Florida
    I just reread it and only saw reference to the new half music man bridge. Maybe my question need not have been asked since anytime we buy something like this, it's a crap shoot. I don't recall if someone recommended that bridge to radiotech or if it was more of a random purchase. I'd like to buy one on someone's recommendation, since I don't have the experience to pick the winner out of the bunch of cheap choices out there. If anything, I'll probably try looking to see if anybody else is selling that particular bridge that radiotech installed.

10. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    I can’t speak for every MusicMan Bridge on the planet, only the one I bought (though that other one is very similar, same spacing, and range of adjustment, it just has a longer plate).
    I have setup that style bridge on a friends OLP (MM knockoff), and it was fine.

But I can say: No matter what, with either style bridge I pictured, you’ll have a bridge you can set intonation, action, and radius, on properly. That in itself will be an improvement.

With the stock bridge, at best... it’s a compromise.

MOD-VM70 likes this.
  11. chimneysweep

Jul 13, 2015
    CA
    I agree that stock bridge is a waste.

You won me back to the bronco. I had given up.
    I want to do the MM humbucker in it.

RoyalWe and radiotech like this.
  12. MOD-VM70

MOD-VM70 Squier-Meister

Nov 11, 2016
    Florida
    Anyone know the c-t-c and overall spacing for the Bronco bridge?

13. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    18mm saddle to saddle (aprox, via my digital caliper), just a smidge over 54mm for the span. On the stock, the offset from the height, & angle to get it aproximately intonated gives you a larger gap between the A & D Strings.

Any 19mm spaced Bridge will do, but if you want to cover the dents/holes from the stock, you’ll have to go with something with a bigger plate. If you want the spacing to be identical, file the saddles .5 mm in between to get it the same. The Bridge I used above didn’t need it, but it’s an easy thing if you want it the same.

*Edit* Fender says 2 1/16” spacing, which translates to 52.4 mm, and 17.4 mm between strings, well within measurement error given the groove width.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
    MOD-VM70 likes this.
  14. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Back on topic: Here’s mine completed, Bridge (w/inserts), CV ‘50’s pup, and Kiwi’d Neck.
    79087787-35C6-4523-8EC7-E716BE86CAF6.jpeg 981D2370-02C4-470E-B83A-D8A71A70F8D1.jpeg

15. chimneysweep

Jul 13, 2015
    CA
    pickup is a drop in or did you have to open up that hole?

16. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    I responded to, that and tagged you in my “Ridin’ the Bronco” thread about that.

17. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-Nut

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    Finally got those ‘72 tele Knobs on my bronco, and picked up a mustang too. My budget off set family.
    ECF83FC7-81E9-47E5-AAB1-FD8119234D12.jpeg

so1om and radiotech like this.
  18. Sjtanona

Sjtanona Squier Talker

Mar 29, 2018
    Michigan USA
    Little late, here's the wife's bronco! Hot rail pickup is the only mod, sounds way better than the stock pup :) IMG_20180603_141630.jpg

RoyalWe, Strat-Daddy and so1om like this.
  19. Strat-Daddy

Strat-Daddy Squier Talker

Jul 21, 2010
    San Tan Valley, Arizona
    Fresh out of the box. No Mods YET. got it to give my Hofner a rest.

Attached Files:

20. MOD-VM70

MOD-VM70 Squier-Meister

Nov 11, 2016
    Florida
    That amp looks familiar. Is that the 108 it's plugged into?

RoyalWe likes this.