Show your Bronco!

Discussion in 'The Squier Bass Place' started by RoyalWe, Dec 13, 2017.

1. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-Nut

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    Hello All! I just figured since the bronco is such a popular bass to mod out, why not have a thread to show them off?

radiotech, Kenneth Mountain and so1om like this.
  2. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-Nut

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    Here's my most recent acquisition, got it on black friday off craigslist for $80. I just did the the Kiwi trick tot he neck and swapped out the pickup to a Chinese hot-rails knock off I got on Ebay for $10. The pickup thats in there now sounds surprisingly good, certainly an improvement over the stock pup (had terrible low end response). The kiwi shoe polish on the neck I think looks way better than the bleached pale it was before, I'd say it aged the neck to about where mid-90's models have aged naturally. The knobs are off an old Harmony plywood solid body from the 70's, and I like the aged white against he new white guard, but I think I will but black/silver amp knobs on it in more of an homage to the Bronco guitar line. [​IMG] IMG_0331.jpg IMG_0332.jpg

3. mb doug

mb doug Squier-holic

Jan 4, 2012
    Long Island
    I've been tempted many times but have not yet purchased a Bronco. I like yours a lot though. Love the pups in your profile pic too!

4. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-Nut

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    Same to you! the best gage of a person is their dog lol. Glad you like it, it took a few years of keeping my eye out for a Bronco at the right price to finally find one. Once you do get your hands on one though, man are they fun!

mb doug and radiotech like this.
  5. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    Nice Bronco. I wish I had one to show.... a short scale bass has been on my list for a long time.

radiotech and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  6. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    I'm waiting for an inexpensive red one to show up to match my 90s MIM Fender Duosonic...

7. wickedtools

wickedtools Squier-holic

May 16, 2010
    west texas
    Mine is the Black, I have a Lipstick pickup coming that’s going in it and kiwi neck:) DC205557-F9D2-4D4E-A37F-34EB5A849A47.jpeg

8. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    $40 from a millennial who finally finished college, with a bag, and checkerboard Levy strap.

Repaired wiring, installed Musiclily tuners, and half MusicMan style Bridge.
    I kinda like the Strat pup, but it’s on the thin side... I do have a CV 50’s P-pup to put in it (I was holding out for a vista pickup, but they’re pretty rare).
    4CA8AEEA-CDE1-4CAD-8B3E-56F7CE151AC9.jpeg
    You can kind of see it in my Halloween party set...

9. TheKurdtz

TheKurdtz Squier-holic

Sep 13, 2017
    Holland
    there's one on my local used website for no less than €135....:confused: yeah not going to do that, but if another one shows up i've got a nice thunderbird pickup for it....

10. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    Don't have a Bronco bass, but do have a CAR short scale VM Jaguar bass. Short scale basses are just fun to play.

radiotech and wickedtools like this.
  11. Stratatattat

Stratatattat Squier-holic

Feb 7, 2010
    US
    Here's mine. No name bucker, black duct tape over the pg, all painting and drawing done by me :)

Attached Files:

12. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-Nut

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    I like it! The duct tape PG is a pretty neat effect, very grunge.

Stratatattat likes this.
  13. chimneysweep

chimneysweep Squier-holic

Jul 13, 2015
    CA
    how wild would it be to put a musicman style humbucker in one of these?

14. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Pretty sure I saw that at TalkBass a couple years back. It would require some routing.

15. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    I should mention that my Bridge change was the most significant improvement in tone I’ve ever heard on a bass from a Bridge replacement... and I didn’t even put the two big ferrules/bolts on the MM bridge, just the three rear screws.
    E623315F-4605-4AF8-863C-9179D525F0DE.png

MOD-VM70 and so1om like this.
  16. chimneysweep

Jul 13, 2015
    CA
    So it does fit. I thought the width would overrun the fingerboard.

Is there such thing as too light for bass? Beatle bass is pretty light. So fun to play though. Reason I bring it up is I felt bronco felt too cheap & light for lack of words. Beatle bass is great and light I don’t remember why sold it probably because it wasn’t being played / needed the money.

17. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    That pic in the other thread (and my first post in this thread) was with the MM bridge on, no overrun. The new bridge makes it feel (& Sound) like a better instrument.

I Had Epi, and Samick Hofner copies... Loved them sitting, standing... not so much (even with a suede 3 inch strap).
    The Bronco is balanced perfectly... with any strap.

Really, the Bronco’s only “short”coming is access to the upper Frets... because the neck is so deep into the body, the last few frets are a challenge to get at... even with the offset body.

I don’t miss my Hofner copies... I’d miss the Bronco.

so1om likes this.
  18. chimneysweep

Jul 13, 2015
    CA
    @radiotech
    Word
    So which bridge is that exactly if you don’t mind sharing

19. Stratatattat

Stratatattat Squier-holic

Feb 7, 2010
    US