Show us your favorite guitar and tell us why.

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by fadetoz, Dec 4, 2018.

1. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    My favorite (rite now) is actually my daughter's. It's has a great tele twang I just can't get enough of.
    IMG_20181201_201824301_HDR.jpg

dadams18, so1om, Davis Sharp and 13 others like this.
  2. nicod98

nicod98 Squier-Nut

Jul 9, 2014
    Belgium
    I like the Fender Modern Player Thinline with two P90 pickups... (it was a close call with the Squier Vintage Modified Custom II also with two P90 pickups)

Doesn't mean I don't like single coils or humbuckers, but something in the mids of the P90 attracts me. I'm not a big fan of the single coil bridge pickup, but with a P90 it sounds nicer (to me).
    Also, there is some rawness in the pickups that is very appealing. I chose the Modern Player over the Vintage Modified because of the neck and the weight of the guitar. I have a slight preference for glossy necks, and it's the lightest telecaster in my arsenal, but the VM has slightly better sounding pickups, IMHO.

For those that are doubting: it's the guitar on the left:
    Fender MP Tele.jpg
    Nope, the other Modern Player is not even in my top ten. The VM Custom II is my number two, and the CV Vintage Blonde is my number three... I think numbers four to six would be my VM '72 Thinline, followed by the VM '72 Deluxe and VM '72 Custom (in that order). After that, definitely the Squier Standard tele, and my top ten is completed with the VM Cabronita, VM Custom (dual Humbucker), CV BSB.

Ask again tomorrow, and you might get a different selection or a different order. Ask again in a month and you definitely will. The top 5 probably will be the same.

five teles, dadams18, so1om and 10 others like this.
  3. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    I know it changes depending on your mood. I'm waiting on a set of P90s or T90s... I have a set that are being cutom made for me that will go in my Pine Telecaster. Can't wait to try them out.

4. dtsreiuqs

dtsreiuqs Squier-Nut

Oct 18, 2015
    France
    Show us your favorite guitar and tell us why.

Difficult statement for me... All of my guitars are favorite at one time or another, or I do not keep them.

I often take this one, my Minerva Verde "Fake Lefty" Danelectro 59, carefully built by a skilled amateur luthier friend from my design idea :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

She offers me (in no preferential order) :
    - extreme comfort.
    - flawless tuning stability.
    - polyvalency.
    - unseen look.
    - killer tone.
    - reliability.

Only one drawback :
    - the access to extreme treble is a bit limited, compared to most of the guitars.

A+!

5. snivlem

snivlem Squier-Nut

Jan 25, 2018
    FL
    1543962091904.jpg My J5. Of course the build quality is excellent and the neck is superb, but the reason I come to this one so much is the way it is set up, and the pickups. Amalfitano humbuckers, the best ones I have ever played. It is set up with a 5 way switch and the two and four positions are single coil. Super versatile and sounds great. 1543962053520.jpg

dadams18, so1om, matttornado and 13 others like this.
  6. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    Awesome!!! Keep them coming. I really enjoy seeing your #1s and hearing why you like em so much..

7. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Squier-Nut

Jan 19, 2018
    GA USA
    The Mosrite JR kit I built.

20180408_110004_500.png

dadams18, dtsreiuqs, so1om and 15 others like this.
  8. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    Nice job... Awesome swirl paint job.

9. ElRey67

ElRey67 Squier-holic

Jan 10, 2016
    Chandler, AZ
    I skimmed the heard down from 7 electrics to 4. I kept only the ones that I truly felt connected to. I have special feelings for all of them for different reasons.
    My 98 Gibson LP Classic Goldtop is the one that has been with me the longest. 20 years and some change.

I went through a period of my life in that time where I partied too much, got in trouble, lost a lot of myself. 8 years ago I got sober. Started a new chapter in my life. Was looking to make some much needed cash. Took the Goldtop out of its case (I hadn’t touched it for years prior). Was cleanining it up so I could take pics for a sell ad. Wanted to check the electronics to see if it was still operating correctly. Plugged it into my amp and two hours later, I decided it wasn’t going anywhere. I think this guitar helped keep me on the straight and narrow. Been playing it at least once a week since.

9ED82E55-D194-414A-BCC1-FBCFFD343D58.jpeg

nitro, Shaytan, dadams18 and 24 others like this.
  10. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    That is beautiful... You would have regreted selling it...

11. surfrodguitar

surfrodguitar Squier-holic

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    Image1543966351.127226.jpg

Love this thing! Scale is great, the two circuits and amazing. Tone is versatile. I love the smell!

12. mdparent03

mdparent03 Squier-holic

May 6, 2013
    Beaumont, CA
    As I acquire a new guitar it becomes my favorite for a short time. The "honeymoon" stage and then when the new wears off, I always go back to my number one. I had to overcome a few obstacles to get it right but now my David Gilmour tribute build partscaster feels good in my hands and sounds the sweetest. The 80's MIK Squier II neck is fantastic with the gloss finish and slightly wider nut. I put my first set of Rose pickups in it and have never regretted getting them. The tiny toggle switch adds a little more variation to the already very versatile stratocaster design. As I look at my collection of 6+ guitars right now. This one is still my favorite.
    IMG_20181122_113711.jpg IMG_20181122_154414.jpg

dadams18, Dave M, so1om and 16 others like this.
  13. jamndad

jamndad Squier-holic

Nov 23, 2013
    Bakersfield, Ca.
    My favorite is my BSB CV 50's Tele. Absolutely love it. I'm just hooked on Tele twang and grit. 20181204_162703.jpg

14. DoctorBB

DoctorBB Squier-Meister

Mar 2, 2016
    Beaumont, TX
    The one I’m playing that day. It’s usually one of these.
    47EC9885-FF15-4064-9BD2-288BCB6CDEBA.jpeg

dadams18, Dave M, so1om and 12 others like this.
  15. Luvs2yoko

Luvs2yoko Squier-holic

Jan 19, 2014
    Pa
    image.jpeg Man that's a tough question.Probably my Classic player 60's strat. However; I reserve the right to edit my response at anytime. I am fortunate to own many awesome guitars.

16. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    "Favorite" seems so specific, but at least for me isn't.

My "most often played" guitar is this one: A 2015 Gibson Les Paul CM.

LesPaul CM- Finish Finished WEB.jpg

It's so utterly basic, and yet has the exact sound I favor for my original rockers. It has absolutely nothing extra and a feeling of solidity -- being of one piece -- like none other I have ever played. Too the body shape with its rear contouring makes it comfortable. It basically stops existing when I am playing it. Only the music remains.

I have dear friends who think it ugly. It's not to me, but it has the look of a workhorse, not a show horse.

My most "beautiful" is a hard choice.

The D'Angelico Excel fits that category. And it too plays like a dream. (Although the style for which it most excels isn't really natural to me.)

DAngelico on Chair - Front.jpg

Having the VM Jazzmaster is a great joy.

I've not been playing as much "surf" of late -- it's a bit to sweet for this transitional segment of my life. But the guitar truly speaks to me and I think it always will.

And this Squier's quality says so much about what the marque has become. A true quality player's instrument -- that in contradistinction to a snobby collector's instrument.

Jazzy.jpg

And then there's fun and that's where the new Supros come in.

The White Holiday grabs my eye and is a pure hoot. But in truth it's its Black sister that is for me right now the better music maker -- and thus more often played. (Something I truly did not expect.)

Supro Black HolidayWEB.jpg Supro White HolidayWEB.jpg

But you asked for our "favorite." And for that I can only say "damned if I know!"

Let me go and play them all. Maybe it'll become clear to me for at least a moment.

-don

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  17. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Unmentioned in my comment above, but impossible to leave unmentioned, are two instruments special to me for a totally different reason. If the house was on fire I might -- no, likely would! -- grab one of these. Although neither has been played very much of late.

I love them for what they are -- owning both had been dreams for me -- but also because Jan gave each of them to me, and that alone makes them gold to my heart.

Gibson SG Supreme web.jpg Fender Telecaster web (1).jpg

And this one is special because, well hell, just look at her! And she plays just as good as she looks.

My oldest currently owned electric. Little played of late just because my style is today elsewhere. But she was "me" during my blues days.

From 1980. A (rather rare) Gibson ES-Artist.

ES-Artist 1.jpg

-don

18. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-Nut

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    The CM is a neck through?

19. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    This is an easy question for me. It’s my 1996 Gibson SG Standard. The guitar itself is awesome, but the reason it’s my favorite, is because it was a gift from my wonderful wife. We were married in 1995 and this was my birthday present in June of the next year. We don’t do big extravagant presents for each other so this was a total surprise. It was also my first real Gibson. Every guitar I own would have to go first before I would ever let this one go.

50B44847-C831-456D-BD5B-9BAD551883C8.jpeg

20. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    Not my daily player, in fact hasn't been out of it's case in at least six months but is my absolute favorite guitar.
    Bought her 40 years ago, originally belonged to Roger Fisher. Went through some rough in those decades yet managed to somehow keep it through it all.

[​IMG]