Should I sell it?

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by duceditor, Feb 10, 2019.

1. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    I'm not a flipper. I buy stuff that I want. I care for it well. I use it. Later it sits unused. Someday someone -- Jan? My son? -- will sell of ditch it all.

I don't expect that to change. But just maybe I should make an exception for this...

MaestroFZ-1A.jpg

It's been sitting on display in my library, along with some very old but today unused cameras including a classic Rolleiflex.

The Maestro was little used. A few concert performances of Satisfaction played by the Abstracts. And since then it has sat.

Why am I wondering if I should sell it? 'Cause of seeing this...

Screen Shot 2019-02-10 at 8.02.10 AM.png

And this...

Screen Shot 2019-02-10 at 8.02.35 AM.png

Yeah, it still works. (Or did last time I checked. I'd need to check it again before I offered it.)

Thoughts? If "yes," how would you recommend I go about it?

Anyone here interested I'd give a better deal.

-don

ElRey67, squierbilly and wickedtools like this.
  2. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    If you're not using it, and can get $600+ for it ... do it !!!

BlueSquirrel and techowiz like this.
  3. Bluzy

Bluzy Squier-Nut

Nov 20, 2017
    Hudson Valley, NY
    If you don’t want it you cant get it to a good home and use whatever you get towards your next Supro purchase :D

squierbilly, mdparent03 and Eddie like this.
  4. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    Reality dictates they sell for more like $300-350......those are inflated asking prices

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...z+tone&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

squierbilly and techowiz like this.
  5. bigtuna

bigtuna Squier-holic

Nov 1, 2015
    s.w.mo.
    Holy grail, I mean Holy smokes. That's new guitar money.

squierbilly likes this.
  6. Fasteddie42

Fasteddie42 Squier Talker

Aug 3, 2018
    Tip of the mitt
    yes sir, list it on reverb.

squierbilly likes this.
  7. Luvs2yoko

Luvs2yoko Squier-holic

Jan 19, 2014
    Pa
    Unless there is something specific you want, I'd keep it. That's a piece of your musical history. A very cool piece.

8. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    I do wish that I still had the one I bought right after they came out back in 1962, or thereabouts.

duceditor likes this.
  9. johnnywizzo

johnnywizzo Squier-Nut

Feb 4, 2016
    When it's gone, it's gone forever. And the money you get for it will soon be gone also. Keep it!

squierplayer, Caddy and Joe90 like this.
  10. snivlem

snivlem Squier-holic

Jan 25, 2018
    FL
    I would rather own a playground than a museum.

11. Ace38

Ace38 Squier-holic

Jul 19, 2016
    Tulsa, OK.
    I agree with snivlem, I'd rather use whats on display. If you haven't used it for....5 years or more...sell it, get something you will use. You make a key point very early...if you dont sell it now, when you're gone the wife or child likely will.

rorygman likes this.
  12. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    Tough one for sure. Personally I have a hard time letting go of almost..... everything.

A few years ago I sold my childhood Fender Vibro Champ my mom bought me in 71 or 72. And you know what? sometime I miss it a little but never ever used it and really in fact NEVER liked it.
    I used the extra cash to fund an auction buying spree :) it was before the economic recovery and at places like SGW you could buy playable guitars for under 30 dollars shipped! and some of the eBay auctions were almost giveaways. Needless to say I bought a couple. :) I do not regret it one bit.

Can't tell you what to do with your pedal but it sounds like it has some significant memories for you and really not that much money in the grand scheme of things. BUT then again..... :)

13. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

I'm going through a similar thing with an early Big Muff π. I guess I decided to keep it, although I don't use it.

squierplayer likes this.
  14. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    If it was me, I would sell it. I don't collect things that I do not use anymore.

15. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Funny thing is I am not a collector, I'm a user. But I'm not a seller either because, simply, put I don't want my home nor what I own known. (Think of the invisible man sans the bandages. That's me.)

Right now Jan and I are sorting through fifty years worth of "stuff." I'd throw most of it out (share, recycle, sell, give) but Jan resists that tooth and nail.

When we moved from Boston to NH not quite 20 years ago we went through the same thing but I was still working then and not as patient.

"Throw it out dammit" was my response.

One night I tired of her endless sorting and I went to bed in a pissy mood. An hour or so Jan awakened me. "Should I throw all this out? Really?"

She had found deeply buried, and discovered only by her painstaking sorting, all the historical materials from the Abstracts. Many, many photos, newspaper clippings, concert posters, etc.

Ten years later when the Abstracts were rediscovered and an album being made I was able to share all that with the folks at Break-A-Way Records. The company head, Wolfgang Völkel, told me that their design and liner notes people had NEVER ha such a cache made available to them. The CD's 12 page booklet was made possible by Jan's saving. (If left to me it'd all have been thrown away)

These things always seem easier then time proves them to be. And age makes things imortant that at the time seen insignificant.

When my parents sold their home they asked me to sort of my stuff. I had no interest. Among what was thrown away were newspaper front pages from the entire Mercury and Gemini programs. Alan Shepard's and John Glenn's spaceflights.

Can you imagine even in dollars and cents what that would be worth today saved as it had been -- entire pages in pristine condition.

Nope. Not simple. Even discarding the sentimental aspects.

-don

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    radiotech and BlueSquirrel like this.
  16. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Funny how time works. As I was writing the above Jan was asking for my help with her current project. She'd just found an Abstracts calendar I did not even remember having been made. A photo for each month including one of me doing "Surfing Bird" in concert.

This time I was nice to her. :)

-don

Surfin Bird_aic1.jpg

17. Hotrodleroy

Hotrodleroy Squier-holic

Dec 7, 2011
    USA
    Me personally, I sell off unused items. It's like my wife says,"if something was to happen to you I won't have a clue of what to ask for the stuff", speaking of guitars, tools, welders, my truck, etc. Small memorable items, or personal keep. I have made thousands selling unused items I had bought perviously in just the past year, and with doctors bills, car and truck maintenance etc. it helps out. Keep the savings in the bank. With my wife being ill I don't have time to do projects that were planed way ahead of time.

duceditor likes this.
  18. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    Been there done that Don..When I see someone willing to pay big bucks for something that I no longer have a use for, it's gone..
    Sell it and use the money for something that you can use right now..

fattboyzz, squierbilly and duceditor like this.
  19. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    My son teases me "you're sitting on thousands of dollars." And its true.

But it is equally true that the money gets spent, often on things of less meaning.

No, not hospital bills and the like. But just disposable stuff.

When I got deeply into Ducatis my `77 Spider was hardly being driven. I thought to sell it but an older friend shared just that thought with me. "Sell it and it is gone forever, and in no time so will be the money. Keep it!"

He was dead on right. Today my motorcycling days are past, and "Spidey" gives us year after year after year of almost "free" summer back road fun.

Again, none of this is as simple as it appears.

Thanks, all, for sharing your thoughts. :)

-don

Screen Shot 2019-02-10 at 12.13.26 PM.png

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice