Shell Pink Bullet Strats

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by johnnywizzo, Nov 7, 2019.

1. johnnywizzo

johnnywizzo Squier-Nut

Feb 4, 2016
    I have had a Squier Shell Pink Bullet Stratocaster on pre-order with MF since they were first announced. Several times I have come close to cancelling the order due to the high price, but they weren't expected to be in stock for a few more weeks so I thought I had time to think about it. Well, I just received notification that my guitar is speeding on its way like a bullet on a UPS truck. Let's hope that I'm not disappointed.

The new price increase seems a bit steep, but they have been listed as having upgraded tuners, and I have always wanted a Shell Pink Strat. I almost bought a Fender FSR when they came out in 2013(?), but ended up with an Olympic White model instead because the Shell Pink model that I tried had some quality control issues. Now I am hearing reports that the new Squiers have trap tuners instead of the promised upgraded tuners. And the hardtail model has to be cheaper to manufacture than the traditional design.

I'm hoping that I will like the new Bullet. The extra cost will soon be forgotten with time, and I will finally have a Shell Pink Strat. However, the color contrast with the new fingerboard material will not be as attractive as the old Rosewood. Anyway, MF has them in stock now for anyone else who has a hankering for a Shell Pink Strat.

Rat cam 68, Treynor, so1om and 3 others like this.
  2. brians

brians Squier-holic

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    We urgently awaiting pictures , as I'm sure you are aware!

Never thought I could buy a pink guitar, but now I bought a fiesta red bullet, and I've broken the voodoo, so hell yes , I would buy the shell pink.

If that doesn't make sense to you it's because I have only ever wanted black strats, but the times they are a changing.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L22 using Tapatalk

3. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    Fingers crossed that you like it. It’s definitely a cool looking guitar. And everyone needs a pink Strat! :)

4. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    Ha! Now that you broke the ice, you will have a rainbow of Strats before you know it!

1BBA3919-B519-4AF0-9F27-A041205EB7CB.jpeg

5. brians

brians Squier-holic

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    That's what worries me !!

Nice !!

dbrian66 likes this.
  6. fuelish

fuelish Squier-Nut

Not true ;)

jjudas likes this.
  7. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    This falls into a bit of that soft price. It does cost a little bit more, it IS a color you want... and the Bullets have been SO GOOD lately, the extra couple of bucks is worth it (even if the tuners are traps). I think you'll be happy about the purchase.

Also… looking forward to the full report.

brians, Rat cam 68, FhPudd and 2 others like this.
  8. TurtleFang

TurtleFang Squier Talker

Nov 30, 2017
    TBD
    Will be interesting to see what you get. I'm in the same boat, and want to get one as well.

Of all the Shell Pink Bullets listed on Reverb with actual photos, ONE has non trap tuners on it that look like the stock photos. Kinda odd that some (most) have trap tuners and some have ones shown in stock photos.

Makes me think of the factory just grabbing from two different piles of stock... great quality control example when on SKU can be made with different components.

The one on Reverb with actual pics and non-trap tuners:
    https://reverb.com/item/29247220-squier-stratocaster-hss-shell-pink-free-shipping-lower-us

[​IMG]

9. brians

brians Squier-holic

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    Hey all.

Don't be so scared of the trap tuners, I have them on both my bullets, they hold tune really well!!

Rat cam 68 and FhPudd like this.
  10. BuddyLee

BuddyLee Squier-Meister

Aug 30, 2019
    Liberty SC
    That new logo is terrible, the FENDER print to be specific. :(

11. FhPudd

FhPudd Squier-Meister

Nov 28, 2012
    Pa.
    I was all set to order one but I want a trem.. and I guess they’re not selling trems anymore. So... I’m waiting.

brians and dbrian66 like this.
  12. johnnywizzo

johnnywizzo Squier-Nut

Feb 4, 2016
    I always wanted to try a hardtail, but to my mind, they should be cheaper to manufacture.

Viking and brians like this.
  13. Brocephus

Brocephus Squier-Meister

Jul 3, 2017
    Georgia
    Apologies for the dopey question, but what are "trap" tuners?
    a8c78236604d41a003e8cc4a66fa2470.gif

brians likes this.
  14. Luvs2yoko

Luvs2yoko Squier-holic

Jan 19, 2014
    Pa
  15. johnnywizzo

johnnywizzo Squier-Nut

Feb 4, 2016
    It refers to the trapezoidal shape of the tuners, actually a misnomer. A trapezoid by definition has four sides, only two of the sides being parallel.

16. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Parallelograms!

Brocephus and brians like this.
  17. TurtleFang

TurtleFang Squier Talker

Nov 30, 2017
    TBD
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

They're kinda large and clunky to me.

Rey08, Brocephus and brians like this.
  18. mofojar

mofojar Squier-Nut

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    I've read, probably here, that the term trapezoid tuners originally was referring to the shape of the keys, not the parallelogram shape of the gearbox.

[​IMG]

I stole this picture online but you can see the shape I'm talking about rather easily.

That said here at Squier-Talk we call any parallelogram gearbox style tuners traps no matter what shape the key is.

Brocephus, brians and so1om like this.
  19. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Also let's not forget that the 60s/70s F style tuners were simply the trap tuners of their day. Likely tighter tolerances made them more stable. I can't seem to find any great pictures of the internals.. Into the 80s they were a bit better even though the housing looked the same.

but here's a set of trapazoids! trap.jpg trap.jpg

brians and mofojar like this.
  20. surfrodguitar

surfrodguitar Squier-holic

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    I love me a shell pink Strat!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice