Share a Cool Tech Tip You developed on your own... (Share It already... ).

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by glmino, Nov 13, 2019.

1. beagle

beagle Squier-Meister

Or?

The word you were looking for is And....

2. guitar guy

guitar guy Dr. Squier

Nov 3, 2010
    Tampa Bay Area
    1. Durhams Rock Hard putty...dries quickly and plays nice with wood. I've used it to full large chips and gouges and such. Get it at lowes or home Depot. 2 get a plastic welder...they exist and you can use them to repair things like broken pickguards and such. 3. I've used Bondo and 2 part epoxy to recreate parts of pickguards and such that had complete pieces broken off.

surf green likes this.
  3. Tconroy

Tconroy Squier-Nut

Sep 11, 2015
    kansas city mo
    If you ever need any help or have any questions about guitars just pm me anytime you want. I love to teach people, its my job so I will be willing to talk to you any time. Just take things on here with a grain of salt! and search the internet for more answers and understanding. We are all here to help!

surf green likes this.
  4. Afrika61

Afrika61 Squier-holic

Actually in this context the correct word is "or".
    I was offering it as an alternative, not in addition as you are implying, to avoiding the use of the various tech tips offered here because if you use enough of the picture item by themselves, eventually everything will look and sound just great,..

Mr Bones likes this.
  5. beagle

beagle Squier-Meister

You obviously don't know me very well. Everything is accompanied by copious amounts of Guinness here... :)

Mr Bones likes this.
  6. guitar guy

guitar guy Dr. Squier

Nov 3, 2010
    Tampa Bay Area
    Here's one of my old ones I just thought of. If you have a random nut that you are thinking of using, but are unsure of the quality, drop it on a hard and solid surface like a hard wood table or a counter top. If it makes a pinging sound then it is a quality resonant material. If it makes a light thuddy sound, it's a crap material. If you need a reference compare the sound of a dropped graphtech nut to one pulled off a cheap stater strat like an older bullet.

7. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Don't know if I discovered this tip due to my own cunning or remembered it from something I read or was shown long ago, but here it is anyway.
    When setting a guitars string action, instead of measuring string height and setting the radius, what I do is insert a business card under the strings at the 17th fret, a strip of low tac tape at each end so that the card follows the fretboard radius, then lower the strings to touch the card and then back then off until there is no buzzing when the string is hit, don't hit the string too hard, just a gentle hit with a pick is enough.
    Seems to work every time and sets my guitars action to it's lowest without any fret buzz...

surf green and squierbilly like this.
  8. glmino

glmino Squier Talker

Nov 11, 2018
    Mars

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  9. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Sorry, dont know why I wrote the 17th fret when it is the 13th fret where the card is attached to the fretboard...ooops

10. Jay Jackson

Jay Jackson Squier-Nut

Sep 1, 2018
    sanluisobispo CA (3401
    If you have pedals that have the mini toggle switches to change parameters and you want to use them with out having to bend over and switch them with your fingers, but would rather switch them with your foot, what I have done is use a cocktail straw that slips over the toggle so that it is high enough to move with my foot. the cocktail straw is made of plastic and is a little weak so I cut the ends off a Q tip and it fits into the straw making it stronger, I have done this with my Pitch fork so I can change from upper octave to lower octave or both on the fly, and on my C0ck fight wah fuzz to switch between the different settings. WIN_20191220_10_07_00_Pro.jpg WIN_20191220_10_08_53_Pro.jpg

glmino and Davis Sharp like this.
  11. Shaytan

Shaytan Squier-Nut

Apr 10, 2018
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Not so new part: I use a metal nail file to round the corners of the frets, it's just abrasive enough to do that no issue and they're super cheap, in fact they're always laying around from my sister.

New part: then, to smooth out the tool marks and to break the fretboard edge, I run a scotch brite up and down the fretboard edges. Next, to polish the frets, and since the hardware store didn't had 0000 steel wool, I bought instead a sheet of 5000 grit wet sandpaper (supposedly the same grit of those fret polish cloths). The entire sheet costed 60 cents and I only used a small square. Frets got chrome-like shinny without leaving wool metal shreds behind. ;)

Davis Sharp likes this.
  12. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    Learning to do small thing with neuropathy in the hands is a challenge unto itself. When I went to string my grand daughters 1/2 size PINK Strat for Christmas, I discovered a whole new level of aggravation trying to make the turn from the rear hole, (on a top load hardtail), up through the saddles. Numb hands make even something this simple into a job plus.

I stumbled on a good solution. Using the small gauge tubing on a retired oxygen hose cannulae end, I made a guide. A very small coffee straw (The real straws, not the solid ones) should work as well. Simply slide the tube through the saddle, turning toward the hole where the string goes into the bridge. Insert the string where it goes up into the straw. It does not have to go far. Feeding string through the hole, gently pull the tube through the saddle and out. The string should come with the tube, making the turn through the saddle. The rest is string as usual.

Maybe it will help someone.

glmino likes this.
  13. glmino

glmino Squier Talker

Nov 11, 2018
    Mars
    Thank You!
    I like that!!! straws are good for a few things guitar-related... I use one flattened in the center to slide under knobs, then cross over the knob and lift 'em off.

Thanks again for sharing..., Mike

jefffam likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice