SGs anyone?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Biddlin, Apr 16, 2019 at 8:29 PM.

Tags:
  1. Biddlin

Biddlin Squier Talker

Apr 15, 2019
    SACRAMENTO. Ca usas
    I somehow managed to play for 40 years before I finally got hold of my first SG. I was moonstruck. The ease with which I floated through slick jazz and acid rock passages without even thinking about the physical attachment to my hands blew me away. I have a herd of them now.
    '98 mod front.jpg
    My first, I swapped in rewound pickups and gold hardware. Played as hot as it looked. A gospel preacher bought it from me a few years ago.
    sm2sg.jpg
    Then I grabbed Miss Lizzie, a black 2005 deluxe, shown here next to my 08 Classic with Gibson branded lyre.
    g400vert.jpg
    About the same time a couple of 03 G-400 Vintage showed up. I put 57 classic pickups and a lyre on this one and kept it.
    Specs.jpg
    I had been on the look out for a special with ebony fretboard, found these two 2003s within a week of each other. Five Moons is my go to rock guitar and the one always on the stand next to my easy chair. The cherry finish one is a real good player as well.
    The cherry Classic above came to me with a broken headstock requiring 20 cents worth of woodglue and 10 minutes of work to make it the lightest action and easiest player i n the pack.
    They are all real good axes for flashy stage work.
    P1010179.JPG
    The 2013 SGJ is 24 frets of rockin thunder. It is the lightest member in this flyweight class. I love and play 'em all, though Five Moons and the 03 Epi get slightly more play time.
    If you play Les Pauls, these are great to for taking a little weight off in the middle of a set.
    OK, I showed you mine, let's see yours!

2. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I've never owned or even played an SG. Maybe it's time for me to give one a try. :)

3. Luvs2yoko

Luvs2yoko Squier-holic

Jan 19, 2014
    Pa
    Keep looking for the right one. Never had one that stuck.

Robb, Toddcaster64, mb doug and 4 others like this.
  4. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Squier-Meister

Sep 6, 2014
    Va
    They are my 'guitar.' Some people love LP, Strat, Tele...I'm an SG man.

Robb, Toddcaster64, mb doug and 5 others like this.
  5. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Squier-Meister

Jan 2, 2018
    KcMo
    I have fallen deeply madly completely for their effortless playability!

Robb, Toddcaster64, mb doug and 4 others like this.
  6. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    Those are some nice looking guitars!

I too love my SG. But, I only have one. It’s my all time favorite guitar for multiple reasons. It’s a 1996 Standard.

A3A01739-FA05-4063-8E66-23B0D6677021.jpeg

And then there is this. It’s either going to be great or a complete disaster! LOL!!!

3732C294-80E8-41A7-A8B2-5CD6EEBF3F07.jpeg

7. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

I'm being ultra patient but I do want a G-400, ideally a Vintage worn brown one.

8. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    I've had three. I only have one now. It's a black '04 Epiphone SG Special i got new. It's a bolt on neck with a tune-O-matic bridge. It's got the 650R and 700T pickups in it. It was a gift, so it has sentimental value to me. My first electric guitar in 1979 was a Japanese SG copy. The other two i had were a '16 VB Glen Burton SG and an aged cherry '06 Epi G400.

20161230_211827.jpg

9. Biddlin

Biddlin Squier Talker

Apr 15, 2019
    SACRAMENTO. Ca usas
    Is the bridge placement going to be problematic? (25 1/2" scale vs. 24 3/4")

Toddcaster64, mb doug and dbrian66 like this.
  10. Big tuna

Big tuna Squier-holic

May 6, 2014
    east Tn
    SG's are cool guitars for sure enjoy!

Robb, Toddcaster64, mb doug and 3 others like this.
  11. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    There’s a g-400 near me for way too cheap. I’m trying to hold out and save up for an es339, but the GAS is getting pretty bad for that SG.

12. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Squier-Nut

Jan 29, 2017
    ABQ
    If I had to chose one style of guitar, it would be hard to decide between SG’s or V’s.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kenneth, Rat cam 68, Biddlin and 10 others like this.
  13. stratman420

stratman420 Squier-Meister

Mar 14, 2019
    Santiago, Chile
    I've always been attracted to SG's because of Tony Iommi, I especially like his signature model. That's the first SG I actually ever saw, and not even in person. I was mainly a drummer at the time, but I'd always take flyers, catalogs, etc... from music stores (the free ones obviously) and one was an ad for his signature SG and I remember thinking how cool and "evil" it looked.

When I was around 14, I was at band practice and one of our friends came over to jam with his Epiphone SG Special. It was the basic 2 humbucker version, in red. I remember that the action was amazing, and it sounded really good for being such a cheap guitar.

In my late teens I remember trying out different SG's at Guitar Center. I remember playing the worn faded brown Gibson model. Two humbuckers, I think it was like... 899? Or somewhere less than a grand. It was really nice. I tried the higher end Epiphone SG's as well, and they were nice as well, but I still preferred the Gibson. I didn't get to try any of the higher end Gibson SGs as they were way up on the wall and I didn't want to bother anyone for assistance since I didn't plan on buying anything that day.

If one day I come across a nice Epiphone or Gibson SG at a price I can afford (actually afford, instead of just an impulse buy), I will pick one up, but my loyalty remains to Stratocasters.

Biddlin, Robb, Toddcaster64 and 4 others like this.
  14. Stratlover84

Stratlover84 Squier-Nut

Jun 16, 2016
    NY
    I thought I was a die-hard 9.5" radius fan, but my G400 faded brown has made me realize how much I appreciate the 12" radius... it is just such a comfortable guitar to play... although sometimes the neck feels beefier perhaps when I'm tired, but the 22 frets, great sounding alnico humbuckers and all the hardware make for a sweet looking guitar that is extremely versatile for any genre of music.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019 at 6:35 AM
    Biddlin, Robb, Toddcaster64 and 4 others like this.
  15. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-Nut

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    So far, it looks ubercool!

16. Toddcaster64

Toddcaster64 Squier-holic

Apr 1, 2013
    Ventura
    66B1F46E-13CD-48E3-9D5F-DCD22B10F12C.jpeg Ok, count me in. The Seventies! Platform shoes, bell bottoms, and the 1973 Gibson SG Special in walnut with mini-humbuckers, and harmonica style bridge. Great sounding guitar.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019 at 11:59 PM
    kenneth, RoyalWe, Biddlin and 12 others like this.
  17. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    Yeah, I am going to have to fill the holes and then redrill for a Fender scale. That’s the part that scares me.

Biddlin, Toddcaster64 and mb doug like this.
  18. Treynor

Treynor Squier-holic

Jun 22, 2016
    Dallas, Texas
    Y'all got some sweet SG's!

I've had a few over the years, but never really bonded with them. I got this 2014 SGJ a few months ago in a trade, and I do believe I have a keeper this time!

IMG_1139.JPG

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice