Seymour Duncan Hot Rail?

Discussion in 'Pickup Joint' started by JK202, Jan 24, 2019.

1. JK202

JK202 Squier Talker

Jan 17, 2017
    Arlington VA
    Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the list and was wondering if anyone plugged in an SHR1 bridge pup in their Strat.

I've seen a few vids and I do like the crunch that these pickups seem to have.

Does anyone here w/ a Strat have any experience with these?

Thanks and cheers!

JK

Pat V., Kenneth Mountain and dbrian66 like this.
  2. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Are you asking specifically for that particular model or are you inquiring about Hot Rails in general?

I can't say about the SD HR ... but I have a few guitars with Dragonfire HR's, and the tone is fantastic. HR's and Strats go very well together. :)

Kenneth Mountain, dbrian66 and JK202 like this.
  3. JK202

JK202 Squier Talker

Jan 17, 2017
    Arlington VA
    Thanks!

Kenneth Mountain and dbrian66 like this.
  4. JK202

JK202 Squier Talker

Jan 17, 2017
    Arlington VA
    Hello Eddie,

I guess I was inquiring about HR pups in general...

Are the GFS Hot Rail pups comparable to the Seymour Duncan ones, which seem way overpriced in my limited view).

I was watching a few vids and I do believe thats the sound I want for my Strat's bridge pickup.

Cheers!

JK

Kenneth Mountain, dbrian66 and Eddie like this.
  5. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Feb 16, 2018
    North Central NC
    Seymour Duncan's pickups seem pretty reasonable to me, for the work that goes in, and what you get. He and his company have been making pickups for a long time and they're good. The trouble is that compared to the overseas-made pickups they do seem high priced.

I have a couple of his pickups in different guitars, and they have fully lived up to what they claimed to be. No hot rails though, sorry.

Kenneth Mountain and dbrian66 like this.
  6. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I've heard some very good things about the GFS Hot Rails. Great values. Probably only a small difference from the SDs ... but you get a ton of bang for your buck. You can't go wrong either way. :)

Are you gonna load up all three pups with HR's? Swapping out the harness will make a big difference also. :)

JK202, Kenneth Mountain and dbrian66 like this.
  7. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Feb 16, 2018
    North Central NC
    By the way, I probably wouldn't spring for a set of SDs that cost more than the guitar they're going in, I was just sticking up for their products and pricing.

Kenneth Mountain, dbrian66 and Eddie like this.
  8. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    It's actually not too bad. You can always pop out the SD's when you sell the guitar. But I tend to stick with the import pups ... Dragonfire, GFS, Guitar Madness, et al. Great values, and not very pricie.

My brother was going to install a James Hetfield EMG set on his LP clone. I convinced him to get the Super 8 set from Guitar Madness. $250 vs. $20. Guess what? The Super 8's sounded fantastic !!!

9. Lonn

Lonn Administrator Staff Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    Admin Post
    I've used every single coil size humbucker SD makes over the years and I've been happy with every one of them.

Cobra, JK202, dbrian66 and 2 others like this.
  10. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    I just now got through installing an import rail in my strat and did a before and after recording to see the difference and the rail by far sounds better to me and its driving my amp pretty darn hard. I mean I literally finished up 10 minutes ago lol.

JK202, Kenneth Mountain and dbrian66 like this.
  11. jvin248

jvin248 Squier-Meister

Jan 10, 2014
    Michigan

I've found many of the SDs I've tried or were installed in used guitars I bought as "upgraded pickups!" as too muddy. I usually need to mod the controls to take the wet blanket off but most often I just swap them out.

Are you using a classic SSS Strat? I get more satisfying results from using series switching mods. You can put your bridge and middle single coils in series and get into the hot humbucker tone range (push/pull pot is around $6) or my playing Strats I mod with the Armstrong Blender (second tone pot blends between SSS and HSH, only changing wiring) -- much more useful to me than hard switching of a fixed humbucker.

JK202, Kenneth Mountain and Eddie like this.
  12. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Upgrading pots is almost as important as changing the pickups. Match up what you need based on the tone you're looking for.

The dime sized pots which comes with the inexpensive Squiers aren't too good. Upgrading to CTS really makes as big a difference as changing the pickup. Do both.

JK202 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  13. DJGranite

DJGranite Squier-Nut

Feb 7, 2012
    maine
    Seymour Duncan is one of my go-to's.
    I have a dozen or more of their pickups in my guitars and as stated above by Lonn, I too have in the past and still do like all of them.
    I've has some of them for over 30 years.
    I have a cool rails that is a really smooth distortion, but that's about it for the Blade type Seymours.
    I tend to go more for the JB, JB jr, Jazz, 59 etc.
    I have them all over :D
    you might get lucky with some of the cheaper imports they can do a fine job , but there is a reason that brands like Seymour Duncan, and DiMarzio, and EMG etc sell so well. Known consistency and quality never go out of style.
    So yeah, a thumbs up to S-D pickups here.
    I also suggest looking at your pots and switches if you start doing upgrades too your guitar. They can be just about the most bang for your buck in cleaning up your signal.
    Not to mention adjusting your pickup heights (distance from strings).
    Absolutely free, takes mere minutes, and you might be surprised.
    Hope this is helpful,
    and good luck however you go.

Kenneth Mountain, JK202 and Eddie like this.
  14. Redwhiteandblues

Redwhiteandblues Squier-Meister

Mar 28, 2018
    North idaho
    Have one in my tele it gets pretty heavy.

Kenneth Mountain and JK202 like this.
  15. JK202

JK202 Squier Talker

Jan 17, 2017
    Arlington VA
    Thanks DJ et al - I appreciate the helpful info! W hile I did basic setup I've never delved underneath the pickguard. But I think I can appreciate that swapping out pots and switches should be considered if a pup is also switched - makes sense :). Thanks again everyone!

16. Armada50

Armada50 Squier Talker

Jan 26, 2019
    Texas USA
    I passed up, on the SD Hot Rail. At the time, I thought 16 K was way, way too high, for a single coil sized pickup & I didn't want way more mids than bass or treble. I would rather do a full humbucker conversion anyway because the Squier's are already cutout for them. Plus, I need a cover.

I went, with a DiMarzio Pro Track & it came, with a cover. It has the same 7.7 K resistance, as Kirk Hammet's 7.7 K Sentient but much better "balanced." I also went, with ceramic. LTD's Kirk Hammet's passive model uses a Sentient & it also has more bass & treble than mids.

Thus, I eventually found ceramic to be more efficient & super modern, better at everything. Chart: https://www.duramag.com/techtalk/tech-briefs/magnet-materials-comparison-guide/

Squier Bullet HHH Strat.jpg
    Image 1. Fender Squier Bullet triple humbucker (HHH), with a DiMarzio Pro Track. Either Squier humbucker rips apart my dual rail. "The Squier's." January 27, 2019.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    Kenneth Mountain and Eddie like this.
  17. Nibi85

Nibi85 Squier Talker

Jan 13, 2019
    Nederlandse
    They are decent but they do something with my amp i dont like . Try b4 buy them they sound diffrent on pc then amp 20190205_002540.jpg 20190205_003217.jpg

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    Pat V., JK202, Eddie and 1 other person like this.
  18. VMamp

VMamp Squier Talker

Jan 28, 2019
    United Kingdom
    I have a SD SHR1 in the bridge position (Strat with Alder body) wth Artec Hot rails in the Middle and Neck position. I am not a great fan of single coils and prefer the extra mid range and higher output of the humbucker. The SD has a high winding resistance (15K) and, having a ceramic magnet, the output is as you would expect - warm and gutsy but retains enough highs not to be dull. The Artec versions are excellent value and sound great, brighter tone with a lower DC resistance (12K) than the SD but available in both Alnico and ceramic versions. I have Artec Hotrails in my Agathis bodied strat, ceramic in the bridge and Middle positions and Alnico in the neck position.

I have all three coil tapped but, though useful, do not expect them to sound like a standard single coil pu.

JK202 likes this.