Selling Squiers on Ebay or Reverb: Anyone had a bad transaction?

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Michael7, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

I'm going to put the unused Cyclone I scored recently up for sale. It is probably a pretty rare piece and I hope will fetch a good price. It seems to have been never played, and the unmarked plastic film is still in place on the guard and trem cover. There are a few pinhead sized blemishes visible on the guitar's face, I think from handling. Also, when looking at the paint obliquely, I can see a few places where the gig bag zipper left tiny marks, but they would possibly buff out. I'm not going to try to do that myself.

I mention the condition details because I have heard of sales going south and the seller getting hosed for the full value due to the buyer claiming on receipt to find flaws were not represented in the listing. I have tried to take pics of these, but they are really so minor as to be invisible from a couple of feet away.

I'm curious if anyone has had a transaction go bad based on a similar scenario. Also, do you have strong feelings that Ebay or Reverb is a superior or lesser selling medium? I'm particularly concerned about risk of loss or being taken advantage of.

Even though I live in a great place for finding gear deals, it is not a good market for a local sale.

Any feedback welcome. I have only been buying guitars in recent years, have no experience trying to sell for a good price.

Thanks.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  2. whaynes3

whaynes3 Squier-Nut

Apr 3, 2011
    Port Charlotte Fl
    Just describe it as accurate as possible... then you really shouldn’t have any issues...

3. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-Nut

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    Describe it as best you can, and be sure to put in the listing “AS IS, NO RETURNS, ALL SALES FINAL” etc. same as selling a used car. Leave any loophole open and someone’s bound to try to blame you for their buyers remorse.

4. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Dr. Squier

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    I would use reverb - less cost , great deals on shipping, don't always side with the buyer, less eyeballs but a more specific shopper ? yours sales may vary ?

Treynor, jamminfool and Michael7 like this.
  5. snivlem

snivlem Squier-Nut

Jan 25, 2018
    FL
    Ha! I just listed my Cyclone at a for the hell of it price...I don't really want to sell, so I listed it at an "if I get that, I'll take it" kinda price...good luck!

6. snivlem

snivlem Squier-Nut

Jan 25, 2018
    FL
    And I have sold a ton on eBay, usually if you do things right you come out just fine, I don't offer returns but the buyer policy is stronger than the seller policy. Insure and pack well, no worries.

Eddie, Kenneth Mountain and Michael7 like this.
  7. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

Then I'll wait for yours to sell, since we have identical guitars! Don't want to compete against a forum friend!

By the way, I just looked at your store on Ebay. Very nice selection and good prices, including very reasonable shipping. And over 1700 successful transactions with 100% favorable! Most impressive!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  8. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    True. Ebay is very friendly towards the buyer and will always favor the buyer. A seller can't even level negative feedback to buyers.

I had one guy demand a return because he said it was defective. Absolutely nothing wrong with the guitar. But I had to wind up eating $50 on round trip shipping. So I'm really hesitant to sell on ebay anymore.

Buyers can also make chargeback claims on their credit card.

Michael7 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  9. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Feb 16, 2018
    North Central NC
    Right, you can state "no returns", but on eBay if the buyer proves it was substantially different from what was represented, he can return it for a refund. "Proving" just means convincing the eBay folks.

I've been on the buying side of misrepresented items, but never the selling side, so that policy has been good to me.

10. mdparent03

mdparent03 Squier-holic

May 6, 2013
    Beaumont, CA
    I gave up on selling on ebay. Fees are outragous and you have to practicly give items away because too much china competition. Reverb is great for music items. I use it alot.

11. mkgearhead

mkgearhead Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2009
    Fort Morgan, CO
    The only issue I had on Reverb was when a buyer disputed that they didn’t authorize the purchase. I showed all communication with the buyer and proof of delivery of the guitar and Reverb sided with me.

12. mitch_cumsteen

mitch_cumsteen Squier-Meister

Jun 25, 2018
    Planet, Idaho
    I've been on eBay as both a seller and buyer for 17 years and had my first bad sale. I got ripped of about $200 on an iPhone . I'll try and make this long story short: sold an iPhone with ad stating it's "for parts - not working - no returns", some dude in NY buys it, I ship, he gets it and wants a refund because it's not working even though the ad stated it wasn't working, I say, "hell no", he files a complaint with eBay, I'm thinking eBay will side with me because my ad was clear that the phone wasn't working, they side with him, take my money, make me pay shipping out and return shipping and charge the final value and Paypal fees even though I didn't sell anything. To top off the bad experience, the guy never returns the phone. I complained and complained but got the run around from the call center in the Philippines ( I spent 2 1/2 years there and got to use some of the cuss words I'd learned while I was there). Eventually, I just got so exasperated and would feel my insides tie in a knot whenever I tried to resolve the problem, I eventually gave up.

And it's not just me. When I was researching how to get my money back, I ran across a lot of stories about sellers getting scammed. Ebay has become overly protective of the buyer and the sellers have very little recourse. just do a search of "ebay sellers getting scammed".

I'll never sell on eBay again. I still buy because I know I'm protected.

Eddie, Michael7 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  13. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Dr. Squier

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    I love ebay prices - but over all hate ebay ! necessary evil !

Eddie and Michael7 like this.
  14. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Yep, the shady buyers know the deal. You can literally purchase a $1000 guitar, and scam the seller on ebay. No problems at all. ebay even encourages it.

I think I'm done selling on ebay.

15. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Bought 3 or 4 guitars on eBay, never an issue. Reverb seems a little more sketchy, I don't have a good vibe from them. Seems like a much more solid recourse through eBay as well.

16. helijohn

helijohn Squier Talker

Oct 12, 2018
    Seaside resort
    Problem here is that the shipping couriers won't cover losses. One does but the guitar has to be in a hard case and then boxed and then we only get a maximum of 100 GBP.

17. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Yes, on ebay, the buyer has all the advantages ... including the ability to scam. On the other hand, selling on ebay is very disadvantageous as it's very liberal buyer policy opens the door for people with nafarious intentions.

SquierTap likes this.
  18. wildelectric

wildelectric Squier-Meister

Sep 23, 2016
    Moline, IL
    Any time you're dealing with people you've never met face to face or had substantial communications with, there will always be a risk of someone taking advantage, IME. People can present any impression of themselves they wish to create on the Interwebz, which can change fast when money, intentions, or pressure come into the picture.

I get the impression that one of the reasons Reverb was created was to address the issue of instrument sellers getting scammed and shafted on eBay for years with the hosting corporation automatically on the side of the buyer/ scammer. I could be wrong about that.

Eddie likes this.
  19. helijohn

helijohn Squier Talker

Oct 12, 2018
    Seaside resort
    Yes it is all too easy, and all too often done, to use words like excellent or very good. Also some sellers simply give not enough information and not enough pictures.
    Having said that eBay is a massive market place and I can sell on it whereas otherwise I would have no chance.