Selling price what do you think?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by twisted fingers, Sep 9, 2018.

1. twisted fingers

twisted fingers Squier-Meister

Jun 19, 2016
    carrollton, ga
    I listed my 1950's Harmony H1311 Archtop on our local craigslist. I looked at others to see the asking prices I listed mine at 325.00 I will share some pics. I know I can always come down but I can't go up. I don't want to under price it. The neck had been re-glued at some point for some reason but it plays well.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
    Pat V., Robb, CVSteve and 4 others like this.
  2. squierbilly

squierbilly Squier-holic

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    Oh yea arch top.. Hold that price.. Sweet looking..

3. twisted fingers

Jun 19, 2016
    carrollton, ga
    Thank you I wasn't sure if I had it priced too high or too low. You never no what they sell for. I've seen some in bad condition listed over $200.00. The prices seem to be a little bit all over the place with this model. I need an amp and I'm sure I would use the amp more then the guitar. It's one of those I need to sell to buy deals I just hope I don't regret it. I've owned it for about 4 years now.

squierbilly and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  4. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    Nice 50's Harmony. I went thru a few Harmonys and Kays and most necks were beyond playable but all were "slide worthy". The action on this one looks pretty good. An easy way to fix that neck-body "gap" is to pre-drill an 1/8" hole thru the neck and into the body neck block. Slide a piece of sandpaper in there to clean out the old glue residue. Fill the gap with Titebond glue and use a 2 1/2" trim head screw to secure the joint. Run a tie down strap all the way around the body and neck joint and crank it up overnight. This should prevent any future separation. If it doesn't sell, at least it's a keeper.

5. twisted fingers

Jun 19, 2016
    carrollton, ga
    Thank you I'm hoping it sells so I can replace my amp. That gaps has been there since the day I got it.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    surf green likes this.
  6. twisted fingers

Jun 19, 2016
    carrollton, ga
    I had a guy wanting too trade he backed out and said he seen a lot of the old Harmony guitars cheaper I priced my H1311 at 375.00 or trade for amp. He pretty much in a nice way said I'm too high on the price so again I checked ebay and other sites that has Harmony H1311's for sale by what I seen if anything I'm low on the price or everybody else is way over priced. Please take the time to look at the photos and let me know what you all think about my price.

7. squierbilly

squierbilly Squier-holic

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    That air gap is a issue.. Does it disappear when the strings are relaxed?.. You may as surf green stated,,
    Clean the gap,, reglue it,, strap it overnight and see if it doesn't do the trick..But I would not run a screw at this point.. What size strings are on it?..

RoyalWe and Pat V. like this.
  8. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-Nut

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    I think prices around ebay etc are a bit inflated. Lately I’ve been seeing those old arch tops going more in the $250-300 range, and the heel gap is likely to turn off most buyers. Since Godin, the Loar, Gretsch, and Epiphone all started making new production archtops the demand for, and premium on, these old ones has gone down quite a bit it seems.

9. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-holic

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    Did you check completed/sold listings or only current auctions / asking prices? I think your price is quite high considering the neck issue....

10. twisted fingers

Jun 19, 2016
    carrollton, ga
    I did check sold I seen 1,000.00, 700.00 some of the current listings 500.00, 600.00 up to 1,400.00. so the neck is why I went with 375.00 and I have seen others with the neck gap that was priced higher. Reverb shows one sold the price was $440. something dollars. The guy wanting to trade works on guitars for a living and it sound like he traded out labor and repair for music gear. Now he's offering a Peavey Keyboard amp 1x15 he said you can use with electric & acoustic electric.

Guitarmageddon likes this.
  11. twisted fingers

Jun 19, 2016
    carrollton, ga
    I have mediums on it. The gap has been there since day 1 when I bought it hasn't gotten bigger it stays the same and when I have changed the strings it stays the same as well. Who ever glued it I don't know what they used but the neck doesn't move and it don't effect how it plays what I mean by that is there is know buzz or dead frets everything seem to line up. I don't know why it had to be reglued it came from an estate sale.

12. twisted fingers

Jun 19, 2016
    carrollton, ga
    By the way the man that backed out still wants it but he if I can throw in 150.00 he would trade for the Peavey head & cab. I don't know what the head & cab is worth I just know it's the XXL model.

13. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-holic

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    Wow, I guess these have gone way up! I remember buying something similar in the late 1990s for like $100 canadian! My mistake...

14. twisted fingers

Jun 19, 2016
    carrollton, ga
    To be honesty I wouldn't pay what their asking. I thought at 375.00 it puts me lower then the others on the market but it also gives me room to come down on the price. I have a price in mind that I would sell it for but trading seems a little more tricky. The guy wants the guitar his best bet would be to buy it and forget about trading. I don't know how well a keyboard amp would work for a guitar it has XLR inputs. For all I know the Peavey Head & Cab he maybe into it for less then what I asking for the guitar.