Selling and Shipping on Reverb

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by MrYeats, Sep 10, 2019.

1. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    Padre Island
    These guys are crafty. I listed a guitar on Reverb and @mrriggs bought it. I paid for the shipping via UPS on the Reverb sight but opted out of protection.
    The guitar was broken on the way to him and we arranged for UPS to ship it back to me, no charge. I refunded the buyer immediately.
    UPS had me jump thru hoops, fill out forms, make phone calls, etc...
    As it turns out UPS sent the check for damages to Reverb and there is no guarantee that I will be paid.
    They have no money invested in this deal and stand to gain the amount UPS paid for my damages. All I got out of the deal so far is a broken guitar.
    They have been giving me the runaround for 2 weeks now. I feel that I am screwed.

JurnyWannaBe and five teles like this.
  2. surfrodguitar

surfrodguitar Squier-holic

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    That sucks! I’ve never sold anything on Reverb but bought a few things and it’s always worked out. Hopefully, they take care of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JurnyWannaBe, five teles and MrYeats like this.
  3. wickedtools

wickedtools Squier-holic

May 16, 2010
    west texas
    Sorry to hear that, I do my own shipping through my local UPS Store or USP.

JurnyWannaBe, five teles and MrYeats like this.
  4. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    Padre Island
    Etsy bought Reverb in August. They will keep the name. So now it is part of a giant corporation. Kiss the musicians helping musicians idea goodbye.

JurnyWannaBe and five teles like this.
  5. Archangelmm

Archangelmm Squier-Meister

Nov 26, 2017
    Valrico, Fl
    I am sorry to hear about your experience with UPS.
    I also had a similar experience with UPS and now refuse to ever use them for anything ever again.
    I sold a guitar on Reverb and mailed to the seller through UPS, I bought insurance and packed the guitar in a new hard shell case, When the guitar arrived at the sellers house, the case was damaged and smashed so bad it was useless, they dropped the package so hard that they broke the solder on one of the pots, the buyer took it to a luthier who charged him $30 to resolver the pot, when the seller contacted me advising of what happened, I immediately refunded him $130, $30 for the repair and $100 for a new guitar case (Sweetwater).
    I contacted UPS who investigated the incident for 8 weeks and finally said since they did not pack the guitar they would not reimburse me the $130 I immediately refunded the buyer, they also refused to refund the money I spent on insuring the package, I sent UPS and the buyer pictures of the guitar and case as I was packing it and that did not change their decision.
    I am done with UPS.

JurnyWannaBe, MrYeats and five teles like this.
  6. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    Sorry to hear that... I hate dealing with shipping all together. I don't trust any of the shipping companies. USPS UPS or FedEx

7. five teles

five teles Squier-Nut

Oct 27, 2014
    shoals alabama
    I read in an advertisement years ago I believe from Atlanta vintage guitars in one of those big old vintage guitar magazines " we use both FedEx and UPS. They both stink." Haha. I'm sure you heard the one about FedEx and UPS merging. Going to call it FED-UP.. Lol..

8. offsetj

offsetj Squier Talker

Jun 5, 2019
    Indianapolis, IN
    I sold and shipped a guitar with UPS and Reverb protection which arrived with a broke neck. I had a case and 6” of bubble wrap, so it must have been beaten like a drum. The buyer wanted an immediate refund, but I followed the instructions on the site and put a claim in with Reverb They were more than helpful and got both the buyer and I squared away.

Just one story, but it was a good experience.

Archangelmm, JurnyWannaBe and MrYeats like this.
  9. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    These days shipping a guitar is super risky !

I've shipped only a few and haven't had issues yet, but I ship neck off. I realize that is not always possible though.

Keep us in the loop Yeats . I hope it works out for you !

10. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    I feel really bad for you, but I'd never ship anything out without insurance, just for instances exactly like this......just save 5-10 bucks you could end up losing everything.....

I hope it all works out for you @MrYeats and that you get your money back.

drewcp, MrYeats and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  11. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    Padre Island
    THE thing that burns me up is that UPS had me fill out a claim for damage but they sent the check to Reverb. How does that make sense that Reverb gets the money?

Archangelmm and BlueSquirrel like this.
  12. John j

John j Squier Talker

Jul 3, 2017
    Oregon usa
    Ive been selling on reverb for years 300+ guitars and climbing ive not once had an issue maybe just lucky but ups and reverb have been good to me . buying shipping lables from reverb cost less than half what the ups store charges , sorry you all had bad experiences! It would kill me to have one of my guitars ruined by clumsy handeling . ups once told me they recognize packages that contain guitars and make an effort to put them on top of everything else .
    Please dont let this bad experience stop you from buying from reverb!
    Just wanted to put in my 2 cents worth

13. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    Padre Island
    Here is a copy of the last email from Reverb, acknowledging that they got payment from UPS but I probably wont see any of it. Musicians helping Musicians, Yeah right.

Hi Mark,

I'm reaching out to my account rep regarding this. No promises regarding a claim payout, but I'll be in touch once I hear from them.

Moving forward, you do have to purchase Reverb Shipping Protection in order to receive an accommodation for items that are lost or damaged in transit.

Thanks,

14. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    What is interesting is that UPS automatically covers any and everything up to $120 (if determined the damaged happened during shipping). You don't even have to pay extra.

I see that UPS may have made the check out to the wrong entity. As it was sold thru Reverb, it's as if "they" are the store and not the individual.

To be honest, I'm pretty happy that I rarely buy anything sizable through Reverb/eBay. At least with Guitar Center I have an easy recourse.

15. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Ok, now I understand. I will not purchase shipping through Reverb anymore ... I'll go straight through UPS.com

MrYeats likes this.
  16. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-holic

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    If they refused to cover the cost of the parcel delivery and the broken guitar because you didn't buy insurance from them, I could see the logic in that. But the fact that they kept your check despite the guitar not being theirs seems totally insane imho. Is there an official trade authority you could file a complaint with?

17. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    Padre Island
    I know some bkers that will do a lot for fifty bucks.

-r3- likes this.
  18. John Slinger

John Slinger Squier-Meister

Apr 26, 2019
    Greenville
    UPS.com only sells broken parts in their inventory.

MrYeats likes this.
  19. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-holic

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    Perhaps you could explain what's happening to their Public Relation department or Press department. You could tell them that if no solution is found, as a Youtuber, you will make a video about the situation. I bet a lot of guitar lovers watch your channel so I'm sure Reverb / Etsy would react.

MrYeats likes this.
  20. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    Padre Island
    They offer a protection plan. You can see what happens if you don't use it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice