Seller’s Etiquette

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by DoctorBB, Oct 8, 2018.

1. DoctorBB

DoctorBB Squier-Meister

Mar 2, 2016
    Beaumont, TX
    Well I had a nice CAE Strat for sell here, for a few days, but realized that with shipping cost, it’s hard to move a low priced guitar. So I took the listing down and put it up on Facebook Marketplace last night. By dinner this evening I’ve had 5 inquiries. The first to respond is going to look at it tomorrow. In my response to the other 4, I let them know that there was others ahead of them and would get back to them if the deal fell through. I’m realizing now that I should have asked more, as I could always reduce the price if I didn’t get any interest. At one point I thought about sending them all a message to ask for higher bids. But having already made a date with the first responder to show it, I felt this would be unethical. Hope the good karma will come back to me if I’m on the other end of a future deal. The moral is don’t under value your gear. You can always drop the price.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  2. mkgearhead

mkgearhead Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2009
    Fort Morgan, CO
    I always price my gear with room to negotiate. :D

3. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Is there any difference between listing on Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, Offer Up, Let Go or a similar site? Is one better than the rest for some reason?

I've had six of my guitars up on consignment at a shop at least an hour's drive from me with not even one "nibble" so I am going to go get them and just try to sell them locally. The shop is obviously too far for me to casually drop in from time to time and say "'' Zup?" Although I never say that, but you understand that for some reason they are not selling at this shop.

Kenneth Mountain and dbrian66 like this.
  4. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Feb 16, 2018
    North Central NC
    If it's a low priced guitar, don't stress about not getting the last couple bucks out of the deal.

5. Fair enough, but without actually seeing and hold the guitar, how would someone be expected to place a bid? I know I couldn't.
    Cheers, Barrie.

6. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Squier-Meister

To the OP, you are doing the right thing. Just consider it a lesson learned.

7. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Squier-holic

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    @DoctorBB - you did the right thing. It may cost you a couple of dollars, but your conscience will be clear.

8. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Squier-Axpert

Dec 14, 2009
    Philadelphia
    I have noticed Craigs is crazy with overpriced crap, and Offer Up is falling off where LetGo seems to be ramping up as far as new listings ...

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  9. DoctorBB

DoctorBB Squier-Meister

Mar 2, 2016
    Beaumont, TX
    I have the best luck with Facebook Marketplace. Letgo next and a local classified site third.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  10. Shaytan

Shaytan Squier-Meister

Apr 10, 2018
    Lisbon, Portugal
    I've recently been on the other side of the situation you've pondered - my friend (yes, *that* one) has been looking for a new amp that he could use at the studio and to gig with. Since he's into Marshall's I recommended him to get one of the higher wattage Valvestates, specifically a 2x12 bi-chorus kicking in 100 Watts for each speaker. Since he's terrible at bartering he left the negotiating task for me.

After some back and forward issues as the seller took forever to reply and later said he was on vacation until the end of that week (which must've turned out to be until the end of the month), he finally replied he had increased the price given the "thousands" of contacts he had received. The deal now wasn't necessarily terrible but I couldn't call it a good one either, but what really pissed me off was exactly this behavior of the seller - he's totally on the right to do so, but it's quite a bad move nevertheless, not to speak I hardly believe he received a hundred contacts, let alone "thousands", yet he still has the as up after more than a month. All of this to say, you may be able to cash in more and that's perfectly fine, but that demonstrates quite a lack of honesty and may turn off potential buyers that perhaps would be even willing to buy for the higher price had you asked or it to begin with.

11. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    CL has been dry around here lately. The two lowest ads are mine.

But I'm just waiting for the pre-Christmas panic sales. Yum ...

12. Acidhouse

Acidhouse Squier-holic

Sep 16, 2010
    Birmingham . . . Alabama
    You did the right thing. I've had a couple of bad experiences as a Seller but they normally involved A) people asking me to hold something and then never showing up, or B) me telling them I won't hold something (because of "A" and then they get mad when I "sell it out from under them."

13. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-Nut

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    I pretty much always sell on a “first come, first serve” basis. Same with buying, if it gets sold before I could get outa work or whatever, so be it. As for price raising, I’ve seen it done on FB marketplace. Had a guitar saved, ask about it, then get a notification that the seller edited the price. Come to find they raised it a bit. It stopped my interest, but if they’re getting offers I don’t blame them for responding appropriately.

14. twisted fingers

twisted fingers Squier-Meister

Jun 19, 2016
    carrollton, ga
    I think you did the right thing or are doing the right thing.

15. DoctorBB

DoctorBB Squier-Meister

Mar 2, 2016
    Beaumont, TX
    Sold it to the first responder. We met at a local restaurant parking lot and he pulls out some headphones, some little connecting gadget and his cell phone, turns on some app and starts jammin’. He let me try it, man it sounded good. Wish I could remember what it was. Really convenient for someone who flips a lot of guitars and doesn’t want to show them at your home. I’ve even met at GC and let the buyer pretend he was trying out an amp. This was way easier.

Bailey1214, squierbilly and so1om like this.
  16. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Email him and ask him what it was!

Also.. You had a price in mind. you got the price. Done. Next time start higher and know your rock bottom price -maybe you did that this time around.

To me, selling anything is a hassle and I only try to sell to people I know directly. I had a load of vintage motorcycle and vespa parts that could have gone for over $750, yet i'd be left with all the picked over stuff. I called a buddy, he showed up in 2 hours and everything was gone lock stock and barrel for $250.

So $250 for 2 hours work? Or $750 for weeks and weeks of work for taking pics, meeting people, filtering emails, chasing around....

Bailey1214 and jamminfool like this.
  17. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Feb 16, 2018
    North Central NC
    I sure understand that. I have a lot of stuff I could sell on eBay, but I'd be getting about $5 an hour for it.

jamminfool and so1om like this.
  18. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    plus everyone wants to cherry pick the good stuff but then expect you to keep and maintain all the stuff that's easy to find.

Triple Jim likes this.
  19. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    I always decide what I want to sell it for and list it just above that.

so1om likes this.
  20. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    We've heard of buyer's remorse ... so I guess this would be a case of seller's remorse. I have had it a few times, especially years and years ago when I sold my Les Paul with P90s and a nice ES125 TDC (I think that was the model) to a local guitar shop for peanuts ... actually more like peanut shells. But I was young and stupid then and now I'm old ... and still stupid.