Scuttle Buttin' Bass Tabs... Holy Sh...annon..

Discussion in 'Music, Theory, Tab and Such' started by Bassman96, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    I honestly don't know which is more impressive.... The guitar riff or Tommy's bass line...

Now to slow this waaaaaay down and give me a few years to work on it lol.

2. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

Nov 24, 2018
    Crappie fishing.
    If only.....:). That's impressive.

Flying Z and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  3. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Tommy Shannon was a huge influence on me taking up the Bass when I was a teen. While everyone was focused on Stevies playing I would crank the bass trying to understand what Tommy was doing. He is one of the greatest blues bassist to ever grace our planet. He can take a simple 12 bar and make it absolutely brilliant with his use of 16th notes, ghost notes and slight off tempo swing notes. The dudes amazing.

Here's another example...

4. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Tommy Shannon is one of my favorite bass players. Keith Ferguson and John Paul Jones are two more.

I can listen over and over to John playing this:

5. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    JPJ is another huge influence for sure! That's a great tune too. I've been working on that bass line a bit lately too lol. The universe is telling me something here I think... Probably to go practice more...

6. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    There is an interview with Tommy out there somewhere. In it Tommy talks about how lucky he was to have been able to play with Stevie. The interviewer kinda interrupts and says "On the same token Stevie was very lucky to have been able to play with You". Tommy just sat there with a shocked look as if he had never considered himself good enough to warrant such a comment. Dudes so humble yet so talented. Stevie's music would never have been the same without Tommy at his side.

7. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

I remember the first time I heard Tal Wilkenfeld. It was when I was listening to Jeff Beck at the Crossroads festival. I was trying to hear Jeff, but as soon as I heard the bass it was Tal I was listening to. She was about 21 at the time.

8. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

And Tommy had already played with Johnny Winter for quite a while. That's really where he got his start.

9. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Yep. I found a video of him with Johnny last night. Posted it in the what are you listening to thread. He was so young then lol. I think he was in his late 30s when he came back from his break to play with Stevie. I could sit on a couch and talk to him for hours. The stories he must have

10. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Check out Tommy when he was practically a kid:

11. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    This site won't let me like that video hard enough lol. That is kne of my favorite basses he plays too. Might have to build a tribute jazz bass some day based on it.

Kenneth Mountain and Triple Jim like this.
  12. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

He plays a ton of chords in that video, doesn't he? It sounds really good in the 3-piece band.

Kenneth Mountain and Bassman96 like this.
  13. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Yep! His chops were evident even back then. Johnny's playing ain't too bad either lol

14. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

I bet Johnny did a fair amount of mentoring too. If you like Tommy, you should read Johnny's biography Raisin' Cain: The Wild and Raucous Story of Johnny Winter.

15. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    I'll have to hunt down a copy. Thanks ;)

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  16. stratfreak

stratfreak Squier Talker

May 1, 2019
    Austin, TX
    wow! New appreciation for Shannon!

I'll admit, as a guitarist, I've always focused on Stevie's playing....this thread makes me realize how myopic I was.

17. stratfreak

stratfreak Squier Talker

May 1, 2019
    Austin, TX
    that is some sweet bass plucking!

18. stratfreak

stratfreak Squier Talker

May 1, 2019
    Austin, TX
    god bless bassists.

19. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    It's ok.... Speaking as a bass player we are used to it lol. I think Tommy is completely fine living in Stevie's shadow as well. He comes across as a fan who just felt lucky to share the stage with him.

Kenneth Mountain and stratfreak like this.
  20. stratfreak

stratfreak Squier Talker

May 1, 2019
    Austin, TX
    Growing up in the 70s, all I focused on were guitarists and singers. The only bass player who really grabbed my attention was Chris Squire of Yes. He played the bass like a guitar...and he acted like a guitar player on stage. He didn't buy into that whole "bass player standing motionless in the shadows" thing. lol

[​IMG]

After Squire, the bassists who grabbed my attention were Dee Dee Ramone and Sid Vicious!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice