Scratch repair

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by so1om, Nov 13, 2017 at 6:33 PM.

1. so1om

so1om Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    First, no. I don't want a relic. I know things happen and I may have to live with it as it all "comes with the territory. I asked a couple people via PM, but for the general population here at S-T...

It was bound to happen sooner or later.. well considering I got the guitar in 2012, it seems a bit later.

The other day I had time to take out some effects and plug in a guitar, the white Jaguar. For the past couple of weeks, this has been the one on the stand in the living room. At night, I lay it on the couch to keep the dog off the cushions.

So I am not sure how or who or what, but I saw a mark on the back of the guitar, about 2" long. I thought it was a thread/string from a blanket, nope. A nice scratch that goes through to the primer surface. Imagine if you had a jewelers screwdriver and just gouged the finish off, something like that.

Now usually I don't get too upset about these things, hey.. they are bound to happen. I was in high school when I placed my SQ strat on the floor and the corner of my Morley gouged into the wood of the edge of the horn. ugh!

I tried taking a pic of the Jaguar, but it was washed out and you know I hate taking pics. I was just wondering how I should go about possibly touching it up. I was thinking of taking it to the auto paint store and getting a rattle can made up then I could mask it off, hit that area and lightly buff it. I don't know. A few mentioned it may not blend and I would need blend it all.. kind of a bit much for this and what I am capable of at this time.

If it were a nick along the edge or a thumbnail, something small, oh well. This is just about dead center in the middle of the back of the guitar and pretty sizable.

I get off work in a couple hours. If I get a chance, I'll try and get a clean picture.

2. mb doug

mb doug Squier-holic

Jan 4, 2012
    Long Island
    Try some rubbing compound maybe?

so1om likes this.
  3. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Squier-Axpert

Dec 14, 2009
    Philadelphia Suburbs
    It's on the back nobody will know it's even scratched ;)

Robb and so1om like this.
  4. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-Meister

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    A nice scratch that goes through to the primer surface.o_O

What color is it ? If it's a flat color with no sparkle, metal flakes or glittery effect, maybe you can find a nail polish the same color and just fill the gouge. To go that route though, you have to put your pride aside and go dig in the nail polish shelves at the local pharmacy.

5. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Squier-holic

Oct 5, 2014
    Gilbert, AZ
    Sucks man. I've had a few questionable people do some questionable things to my stuff, including guitars. Deep gouges like that, it's hard to fix without noticing. White and black seem easy enough but along with CAR, flake and metallic, it's a hard coat to repair.

Drop fill--seal--level--micro mesh--polishing compound--swirl remover.

I needed Oly White for my VM Jazzmaster around the pickguard. I matched it at autozone or some other, using paint pens. I also frequent the auto paint mega store down the street, the guys there helped me match Ice Blue Metallic by eye (didn't want to pay for the matching service). Several drop coats on the JM and it's getting there. If I care to finish the job, I'd seal the drop fill with CA glue, level it after it sets up, the proceed to use micro mesh, etc. But I'm not going that far on this one, though I've done it a few times on black headstocks and it works great.

so1om likes this.
  6. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Squier-holic

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Been there, done that. Four of my nails were painted different colors when I checked out. Anyway, in a big city like Chicago, no one will give you a second look.

LutherBurger, so1om and DrBeGood like this.
  7. MOD-VM70

MOD-VM70 Squier-Meister

Nov 11, 2016
    Florida
    For starters, I feel proud to be part of the general population. :) 2nd, have you questioned the dog about this? I did a quick search and it seems you may be able to find touch up paint that matches Fender's colors. If it's deep, you may want to fill the scratch before painting.

so1om and Shine like this.
  8. so1om

so1om Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    589572DF-8033-4466-800C-0E0C73B6EF26.jpeg , General Public and Major Nonsense. :) I meant that I often ask a couple people directly before creating more unnecessary noise out on the wire.

Thanks for all the input. I failed to mention the guitar is white. It’s also not that easy to take a pic to show it’s horrid detail...

9. so1om

so1om Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    image.jpeg 2 others..

Attached Files:

10. Cavediver

Cavediver Squier-Nut

Honestly, that scratch doesn’t look too bad. Being that it’s on the back I would just leave it alone and move on. Any type of touch up will still be noticable and maybe look worse than the original scratch.

Brever and so1om like this.
  11. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Squier-Axpert

Dec 14, 2009
    Philadelphia Suburbs
  12. so1om

so1om Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
  13. Brever

Brever Squier-holic

Oct 5, 2015
    Texas
    I've had worse than that on my lip and I can still whistle :D.