Scratch Build

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Wizzer, May 15, 2017.

1. Wizzer

Wizzer Squier-holic

Jul 12, 2010
    Scottsdale, AZ
    About four years ago, maybe four and a half, the next door neighbor where I have my shop came wandering over one Sunday and said, "Hey, what are you building?"

After that, he was out there nearly every weekend doing mostly observing. He asked a lot of questions, naturally. The guy had quite a bit of woodworking experience, but he isn't a guitar player so he'd never attempted or took part in building a guitar.

After awhile, he started saying things like "I have an idea. Would this work?" and things like that. He was good with tools, so I started tasking him with cutting and routing bodies, etc.

Our friendship grew from the creating, sharing ideas, building, and relishing the look and sound of finished guitars. He recently decided to take a job in Boston so he put the house up for sale. It sold in six hours, leaving him with a scant five weeks left here in the desert.

I told him he'd been such a big help over these last few years that he needed to do a build for himself to take with him, despite the fact he doesn't play. I gave him free reign to pick from all the wood I had lying around and then I covered the cost of a neck, hardware and electronics. This is what he came up with. It's funky, for sure. And that single-coil-sized 'bucker really rips.

One of his ferrules on the back is off a touch, but for his first build from concept to finish, I think he did a great job.

Attached Files:

2. Garyth

Garyth Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2013
    Florida
    not my style of look but I wouldn't be ashamed of it at all!

3. Wizzer

Wizzer Squier-holic

Jul 12, 2010
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Not really my thing, either. LOL.

Rollmeaway and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  4. wickedtools

wickedtools Squier-holic

May 16, 2010
    west texas
    Looks kinda Surfy, woody theme guitar

5. late2guitar

late2guitar Squier-Nut

Feb 5, 2016
    St. Louis area
    It's out there, but most of us (self included) would never attempt such a thing... start to finish build of a guitar, hand cut to our own preferences, etc. It's a bold statement, but most of all, it's a cool exercise and you did a good thing to repay a friend for his help and camaraderie over the years. Cool story. Nice wood color/accents, too.

6. ElRey67

ElRey67 Squier-holic

Jan 10, 2016
    Chandler, AZ
    I really like the flame on the back side.
    I'm impressed with anyone who can build a guitar.

7. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Fox Point, WI
    REALLY nice (once again)!!

8. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    Cool stuff you're doing there...

9. Dan Sotelo

Dan Sotelo Squier-Nut

Sep 19, 2013
    progreso tx
    I dig it amazing work! Its beautiful how does it sound??

10. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Squier-holic

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    The contrasting wood patterns on the front and back are creative. I like that a lot. I had to look at the body shape a couple of times before realizing that the form follows the function (how much of the lumber behind the bridge does a guitar really need?). I like that a lot, too.

11. squierbilly

squierbilly Squier-holic

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    Even the headstock is interesting,, very well done..

12. Wizzer

Wizzer Squier-holic

Jul 12, 2010
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Rollmeaway and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  13. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-holic

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    This is a interesting look into the mind of a non player - You can see how The Wiz rubbed off on him ! Great Post about a Great Experience ! Very Cool !

Rollmeaway, wickedtools and Wizzer like this.
  14. jimbojo

jimbojo Squier-holic

Jun 30, 2010
    Rio Rancho, NM
    That's pretty dang cool if you ask me.

15. DaveDrums

DaveDrums Squier-Nut

Feb 2, 2017
    MA, USA
    Holy smokes, that's rad! Very cool of you!

16. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-holic

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY

Do you have anymore pic's - it's too interesting to not see more !

Rollmeaway and wickedtools like this.
  17. corn

corn Squier-holic

Feb 27, 2013
    San Diego
    I like that alot. I'm not getting how I see the mahogany and maple glued together but I don't see the center pieces of maple and what looks to be a third species on the back edge. Are those pieces an inlay?

18. otisblove

otisblove Squier-Meister

Aug 19, 2016
    Chicago
  19. Wizzer

Wizzer Squier-holic

Jul 12, 2010
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Good eye, sir. The middle maple and zebra are indeed 1/4" inlays. Here's a couple shots. He's texting me pictures right now, so I'll upload more shots of the process.

Attached Files:

20. Hotrodleroy

Hotrodleroy Squier-holic

Dec 7, 2011
    U.S.A.
    I worked with steel most of my life, and seeing builds like this make me wonder way I never got into wood, that's awesome! I'm going to try a tele body out of some mahogany if I can find some time. Great story and I hope he learns to play it.