Sciatica Pain

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Uncle Joe, Mar 24, 2020.

1. VealCutlet

VealCutlet Squier-holic

Aug 9, 2011
    Brookyn, NYC
    Last November, around Thanksgiving, I went to work with a sore back, but maybe a stressful subway ride made it worse. By 11 AM, I couldn't stand up - pain radiating down my right side to my calf. I was in incredible pain and desparate. I searched online for a chiropractor, and lucked into a good one who took my insurance. A co-worker basically carried me out of the office and put me into a taxi.

I went to the chiro twice that week, and felt at least 50% better after that. Still sore, but I could walk. She did adjustments after 10 minutes with the electro-stim and moist heat on the affected area. Two visits the following week put me around 75% better. Thankfully my spouse works for NY State and has very good coverage. Within 4 weeks, (6 adjustments) I was about 90% well. Good enough to go on vacation before Xmas and play golf and tennis every day.

I also use a foam roller to stretch the buttocks and IT bands (look it up). I have tight hammies and calves, which often leads to lower back issues...I'm working on stretching those as well. My chiro has also helped with other posture issues due to drumming and guitar playing.

This worked for me. Your mileage may vary. You may get a chiropractor who likes to milk every penny from you. I just went while I was feeling discomfort, and got relief. I go back whenever I want - once a month usually - just because it feels good. $25 co-pay works for me - just take a long lunch every now and then.

Good health to you...and everybody!

mb doug likes this.
  2. Marko60

Marko60 Squier-Nut

Oct 4, 2012
    England
    Yep, I've had it, lasted about six months during which time I had very little sleep, despite the strong painkillers. It disappeared as mysteriously as it came

Uncle Joe and mb doug like this.
  3. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    An invertion table will stress all your leg joints, ankles, knees, basin. It's your lombar vertebrae you want to relieve.

I use an inversion sling. It only pulls on your spine. Depending how you place your hips in it, it pulls differently. You'll find the desired position that relieves the pain. Make sure you find a site that explains how to use it, you don't want to fall on your head because you slipped. You have to lock your legs around the hanging ropes, if not you can fall.

Aktiv-straps-sling-2-SQ-640x640.jpg

[​IMG]
    I personally don't use it against a door, just hung from a ceiling joist in the basement.

I made my own, but here's one example you can buy.
    http://www.yogalifestyle.com/GEMysoreMiniInversionStrap.htm

4. LzeroKI

LzeroKI Squier-Meister

Jan 13, 2014
    North Carolina
    About 2 years ago, I had issues from what my doctor guessed (couldn't afford an MRI) was a bulging L5/S1 disc, causing sciatic nerve pain for a while. It felt like just a sore back, until I rode for 13 hours in a cramped hatchback down to Florida, and found that when I arrived I was in enough pain that I couldn't stand for more than about 45 seconds at a time, and could only find something close to "comfort" by sitting down and leaning forward as much as possible to take as much pressure off the disc in my lower spine as I could.

Anyway, my doctor referred me to physical therapy once a week for 6 weeks and that wound up eliminating the pain (of course, I was also doing about an hour of specific stretches and exercises at home everyday as instructed by my PT). I've never been more thankful to a medical professional than I am to that PT, without his help I wouldn't have been able to stand at my own wedding, let alone dance with my new-wife.

Something I wanted to stress IMMENSELY, if you are feeling numbness in your groin, go see a doctor as soon as possible and tell them about it. Every medical professional I saw about my sciatica stressed that advice to me, saying that numbness will lead to dead nerves in the area, and a potential lack of functionality of the surrounding................physical functions.

Its a tough row to hoe, and I hope you get to feelin better man.

BlueSquirrel, Uncle Joe and mb doug like this.
  5. Lonn

Lonn Squier-holic

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    I've got disc and spinal stenosis problems, always wanted to try one of those inversion tables.

6. Matt Shevell

Matt Shevell Squier-Nut

Feb 5, 2018
    New York
    Ok- can you get medical marijuana?

hope you feel better soon

7. Wound_Up

Wound_Up Squier Talker

Jan 28, 2020
    Shreveport, LA
    Dealing with it myself on top of a double groin hernia, 1 on each side. I ain't going to the hospital for it any time soon and I'm already on pain management so I can make it until all of this "other stuff" finally dies down. At this point, I've also been having numbness in my foot that only goes away if I stretch that leg. Then it might happen again 10 mins later. I've also got hereditary PAD, peripheral artery disease, in my legs so I've got that against me, too. All this at 38 yrs old. :confused:

The sciatica pain is from a car accident I had at 19, about 19 years ago. A guy ran a stop sign and t-boned my little S10 truck and the truck rolled. The guy with me didn't have a seat belt on so he was on top of me and had me pinned against the door. The truck landed on the driver's side with the passenger side in the air basically. It was hell.

I was pinned against the door and as we were sliding to a stop, my leg was dragging along the street so I got road rash, too. That's the leg with sciatica pain. I went to an attorney but he & the doctor screwed me so I barely even got any money even though I was out of work for almost a year.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  8. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-Nut

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    Thanks CV Steve. This helped. I'm not a fan of chiropractors but I do like the electrodes. I've injured muscles and experienced numerous partial tears so often that I actually own a nice electrode stimulator. I was hesitant to use it for what I believe is a pinched nerve caused by the muscle pull/partial tear, but your post made sense. This morning I woke up at 4 AM in severe pain. I popped 800 mgs of ibuprofen, sat against ice for fifteen minutes, a heating pad for twenty minutes and zapped my lower back with the electrodes for a half-hour. Much better. Thanks for this advice.

CVSteve likes this.
  9. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-Nut

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    Thanks John. Good advice. I'll stop the ibuprofen and switch to alcohol once I get passed the searing pain. I try to balance the potential damage between kidneys and liver. o_O The wallet thing makes sense also. That's not the root cause though. I don't carry a wallet. I stopped doing that years ago for the same reason after injuring my back getting hit in hockey or soccer. It wasn't sciatica though. I just got clattered and felt it up my spine. I couldn't bend over. Stopped wearing a wallet in my pocket after that.

10. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-Nut

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    Nice one! I'm not nearly so highbrow...

11. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-Nut

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    Thanks Kenneth. I've been doing all kinds of stretches but I'm not sure which ones help and which hurt. I know laying down backwards on the stairs felt good so I ordered one of these from Walmart for about a hundred bucks. It's supposed to deliver on Friday. I'm dreaming about the thing...

Walmart Inversion Table

12. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-Nut

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    Thanks. I can't wait to exercise. That's how I usually get back into action. My first instinct was to go for a bike ride and loosen up. It may have helped temporarily, but now that I'm working each day I'm not riding. I'm just tight. I'm typing this while standing because it hurts too much to sit. This is a crazy injury. I'm glad you licked it and feel better. I'm not really into any pain killers. I would pop a few pills if I had trauma or after an operation but not for more than a day or two. I prefer to work through it and then have a couple of drinks once I'm on the road to recovery.

13. LzeroKI

LzeroKI Squier-Meister

Jan 13, 2014
    North Carolina
    Hah, I missed the wallet thing earlier in this thread. My spinal injury caused me to have to change from a back-right pocket guy (as I'd been my whole life) to now a front-right pocket guy.

14. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-Nut

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    You're tempting me but I'm not going to go to the doctor unless I can't fix this by next week. I can't even get my PT because she's currently working OT as a de facto nurse at the hospital. My wife gives the worst back rubs. She can't be good at everything. :(

15. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-Nut

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    Thanks. This seems to be sage advice for the time being.

16. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-Nut

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    Thanks. I'm glad you worked your pain out. I tried the foam roller on my glute last night. I don't think I'm ready for this type of PT yet.

VealCutlet likes this.
  17. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-Nut

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    Thanks for that advice. The pain is now constant in my lower back but my shin is still numb. My groin is working. I tested it out earlier this week and the pain there subsided yesterday. No numbness, thank goodness.

VealCutlet likes this.
  18. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    I sincerely hope you don't have problem with any of your leg joints.

VealCutlet and Uncle Joe like this.
  19. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-Nut

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    My joints have all been compromised except my left ankle. I did break the fifth metatarsal on that foot though. Right now I'm in halfway decent shape so I'm hoping I can literally "hang together" long enough to stretch out my back. I am dreaming about it. I'll let you know once I give it a try. I like that hanging belt posted earlier. I don't think I could assume the position though. Not the way I feel right now.

20. Mr Bones

Mr Bones Squier-holic

Oct 17, 2019
    Kansas Territory
    Breaking bow, or flaring flame,
    ravening wolf, or croaking raven,
    routing swine, or rootless tree,
    waxing wave, or seething cauldron

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice