Sciatica Pain

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Uncle Joe, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-Nut

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    Great Odin's raven this hurts! Have you ever experienced this phenomenon? I hope not. If you have, how did you get relief?

I'm usually not such a baby. I've broken bones (at least seven), woken up from a hit with my foot facing behind my body (two knee surgeries), had my front teeth broken and two others knocked out, had well over a hundred stitches, tore abdomen muscles (not easy to do/rather unusual), have a soft spot/dent in my broken shin to this day (one in my forearm too), and I'm still going strong for an old guy. Until Friday, that is. I loaded twelve, fifty pound, cylinders into a light truck and reached away from my body causing a slight back twinge. By the time I arrived home a few hours later, my lower back was throbbing into my left glute, around into my lower groin, down my hamstring, into my calf and around to numb-out my shin. More than three days later, still no relief. Must be sciatica from muscle strain. That's my guess.

I've been keeping up with my normal routine and going to work each day, but this is beginning to wear me down a bit. I'm not sleeping much. I've never passed a kidney stone or experienced (first-hand anyway) natural childbirth, but this pain seems to be pretty high on the chart of what I have felt. I've gotten on my bike and road about twenty miles and that didn't help. May have hurt. Not sure. I've tried all types of stretches. No help. Ibuprofen isn't doing much.

Have you ever had this? Any suggestions to alleviate pain/pressure on the nerve? Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  2. snivlem

snivlem Squier-holic

Jan 25, 2018
    FL
    Inversion table. It helped me out big time.

MrYeats, mb doug, ElRey67 and 2 others like this.
  3. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    Another vote for inversion table.

4. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

I'd guess it's a nerve problem at a vertebra. You mentioned numbness at your shin. I was told by a doctor that if I ever experienced any numbness along with back pain to see a doctor immediately, because I'd have about 36 hours before that nerve died. I don't know if that applies here, but it sounds scary.

5. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-Nut

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    Thanks guys. I'm fashioning an inversion table now. Can't wait until Friday for delivery. I'll report back. Appreciate it.

6. Jim Belaye

Jim Belaye Squier-holic

Jul 25, 2015
    Montréal, Canada
    I have a herniated disc in L5-S1. I have to get an epidural cortisone injection once or twice a year.

7. ghostwolf

ghostwolf Administrator Staff Member

Dec 30, 2009
    texas
    Admin Post
    Been there, done that; sorry to hear you're dealing with this. Viox worked wonders for me, but then it was taken off the market... Living in fear it'll happen again (one repeat in 20 years).
    Didn't have access to an inversion table, sleeping with a thin pillow under my lower back helped me a lot.
    Oh yeah-
    Try not to sneeze...

8. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-Nut

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    Still catching my breath. Just had my daughter on my left ankle and my wife on my right as I hung upside-down from the carpeted stairs. Relief. It worked. Now I need to see if I can procure one of those inexpensive Walmart inversion tables. They have three choices under $150.00.

9. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    North Pole
    Wow!! I hope it gets better - I suggest Naproxen - Aleve - to help the inflammation

MrYeats, Uncle Joe, mb doug and 2 others like this.
  10. CVSteve

CVSteve Squier-Nut

Dec 28, 2017
    Texas
    YES. A chiropractor with electrodes. You can’t take enough aleve to make this go away. I see mine every other week when I get home from work. If you haven’t been, bite the bullet and go! No more whining.

MrYeats, Uncle Joe and mb doug like this.
  11. John L Rose

John L Rose Squier-Nut

Mar 16, 2016
    Sackville, NB, Canada
    For most joint and muscle pain, I take Ibuprofen for a few days. It's not a fast-acting pain reliever for me, but sometimes if I don't take it the problem persists.
    I just had about 3-4 days of intense hip pain on my right side. Nothing I could think of that caused it. I could barely roll over in bed, or put on my right sock.
    I'm good now though. Almost all gone.
    Now I stop the Ibuprofen, because too much can be bad for the kidneys and have other side effects.

It's not "CrediCarditis"?

"On the other hand, walletosis, fat-wallet syndrome, or credit-card neuritis have synonymously been used for deep gluteal piriformis syndrome in the previously published write-up. In 1966, through a letter to the editor, a battle was brought to the issue of wallet neuritis in ‘New England Journal of Medicine’; it was mentioned that plastic credit-card stuff made the back wallet abnormally large and caused intense compression on the adjacent sciatic nerve perpetuating manifestations of sciatic neuritis [1]. Further published papers documented heavy wallet loaded with unnecessary scraps (even without credit-card), like papers, visiting cards, etc., that can also proliferate features resembling sciatic neuritis, thereby, replacing the term ‘credit-carditis’ with walletosis. Since then, latter terminology has been used interchangeably with credit-carditis and seems more appropriate [4].

What happens when the fatty wallet compresses ipsilateral sciatic nerve is discussed in our previous publication. We made evidence under NCV study that prolonged wallet-induced pressure caused demyelination of the sciatic nerve in a doctor [1], though without any insult to the adjacent PM as evoked by following maneuvers: FAIR (Flexion Adduction Internal Rotation) test, piriformis sign, Freiberg’s test, Pace sign, and tender per-rectal examination (while the finger glides over the spastic PM), etc., challenging further use of PS and walletosis terminology interchangeably."
    See https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6039217/

12. John L Rose

John L Rose Squier-Nut

Mar 16, 2016
    Sackville, NB, Canada
    Which one? Is that Huginn or Munnin?
    [​IMG]

Uncle Joe, mb doug and mofojar like this.
  13. kenneth

kenneth Squier-Meister

Aug 3, 2016
    Canada
    I can sympathize with you so much. This condition is definitely no joke.
    I spent an entire month last summer in agony.
    I tried a friend's inversion table, chiropractic, stretching..
    Finally went to emerg and they gave me Gaba Penton (?) and another drug. Didn't even touch the pain. Well, maybe 2%.
    I was shifting in bed and on the couch all day and night. Not one position gave relief.
    The only thing that I could do was patiently wait for the inflammation to go down. Rest. That's it. Stretching is good too.

I hope you improve soon.

14. John L Rose

John L Rose Squier-Nut

Mar 16, 2016
    Sackville, NB, Canada
    Wikipedia sez "Gabapentin"

One time I ended up in Emergency with extreme pain from a gall bladder attack. They kept me overnight on a morphine drip.
    Funny stuff that. It did not stop or even reduce the pain, exactly, but I ... Just ... Did ... Not ... Care.
    Hooray for the Canadian health care system.

MrYeats, Davey, Uncle Joe and 3 others like this.
  15. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    I developed sciatica once, down my right leg. Thankfully, it was short-lived.

Don't bother with pain relievers. They won't help. Good luck with the inversion table; had I heard about that at the time, I would have tried it.

16. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    BTDT Doing it now. Sciatica caused by Spinal Stenosis. It can occasionally ease but never goes away. I cannot use an inversion table as they are strongly warned against for CHF & COPD patients. My lower backs and both legs. Little sleep unless you just pass out from exhaustion. I feel your misery.

Best wishes and hope you get relief and heal quickly.

17. -r3-

-r3- Squier-holic

Jan 28, 2016
    NC Piedmont
    Hey @Uncle Joe , sciatica Sux!
    As yours was caused by recent trauma, I would highly recommend a visit to an urgent care, and ask the doc if they'd give ya a shot of solu or depo medrol, which is a common cortico steroid which has totally worked wonders to banish stuff like this for me. Often paired w a shot of toradol, which is an NSAID. So, not gonna get ya high, just gonna reduce inflammation and most likely have you wondering if there ever was a problem in the first place within a matter of a few hours or a day or so. Seriously. ...

In my experience sudden onset stuff like this is the body "over-reacting" much like a histamine reaction for allergies. Those meds shut down the freakout fast.

When you're feeling better there's still no substitute for stretches, exercises, smart lifting practices, mechanical aids and the help of another person, especially when engaging in the types of activity that you have been injured doing in the past.

But man, I am telling ya, that stuff works like you wouldn't believe! When I first injured my back I'd never had anything like it happen to me. I tried heat, cold, ibuprophen, stronger pain killers and muscle relaxers, physical therapy, et cetera for a year & a half or so before I could finally not be on the meds 24x7 to function comfortably. Eventually I had a flare up severe enough for an urgent care visit and discovered that the quick shot from a health care provider was totally the way to go to get back to functioning and trying to improve myself to avoid it happening again.

18. Stillhouse

Stillhouse Squier Talker

Dec 15, 2013
    Deep In The South Of Texas
    I had my worst bout of it last June. Full week of the back of my left leg feeling like it was split open from the hip to calf like an overcooked sausage. Doc gave me a script for Flexeril and told me Tylenol for the pain. Two days later I could walk again without crutches or leaning on walls or furniture.

Moving is key to relief. Resting sciatica like it's a muscle injury pretty much makes it last longer or even worsens it.

Uncle Joe and mb doug like this.
  19. kenneth

kenneth Squier-Meister

Aug 3, 2016
    Canada
    I believe gently moving is good, but general moving around is going to keep irritating it, isn't it?
    Maybe I'm wrong.

20. I had (thankfully I can say "had") sciatica. Horrible pain and no relief when you need it most. My chiropractor managed the pain to a certain extent but at times it'd be a weekend and I was unable to get in.
    I sold my 5 speed manual shift Mustang, and the pain has never returned to anything close to those days. That left clutch leg seemed to be an aggravating factor. My chiropractor retired and so did my sciatica, and me shortly afterward.
    Hopefully you find a way to get on track.

Cheers, Barrie.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice