Sawtooth Tele saga, the end.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Loin Lover, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-Meister

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    Sawtooth ET.jpg
    I got in late on the Wally World $50 Sawtooth ET Tele rave. Decided on store delivery due to horror stories reference packaging, or lack thereof.

The pitiful attempt of a shipping box was dented severely mid-neckish, had a full puncture hole in the mid body area. The associate immediately called a young assistant manager as I began opening.

Expecting the worst, the first thing I noticed was a bleached white Louisville Slugger Willie McCovey would appreciate with frets. The neck immediately appeared classical wide. Rust on the strings caught my eye next, yet no apparent damage. A young AM frantically appeared. Upon removing the ET it was noticeable how light it was with a 80/20 neck to body ratio. No damage found until spinning her over. The associate first noticed the finish crack in the thin finish at the edge of the body. Before I could take a closer look she touched the crack. Crack became chip, falling to the floor before our eyes.
    strings.jpg
    chip.jpg
    The AM made frantic phone calls searching for an unchipped Slugger. This was the afternoon when the Sawtooth thread counted down to single digits. No luck, zero balance. I even tried to broker a deal for a different color or burst. The AM was all in, the warehouse lady on the phone wasn't buying it. I brought home the blem.

Checked website later that evening. I found it curious they had black ETs for sale at $175 yet the warehouse was sold out of $50 ones. Hmmm.

I tried to bond, yet none of my personalities would. The thought of my 'new' guitar being damaged was always my initial thought (only my second new guitar purchase). Having difficulty reaching the A string with my average size hands only reinforced my disdain. She actually sounded really nice once I filed most of the rust from the strings. The set up was high but close, yet I had no desire to tinker. Enter Craigslyst.
    thumbnail_IMG_4764.jpg

The fella was about 40 miles away, stowed up with broken legs from a car crash. His girlfriend was going to drive down (yesterday). We agreed to meet at a nearby store. She couldn't, now his father will drive here after work. Didn't work out. Dad will meet at store this morning, call when he's 10 minutes out. No call. Buyer tried to relay directions to no avail. I finally insist buyer have his dad call. Dad drove past my house, past store, stopped at another store 8 miles farther. I decided to go to him to be rid of this guitar only Buford Pusser could appreciate. Sold! Thankfully.

In summary, I hope Sawtooth ET owners enjoy them. It sure sounded clean and crisp. I would need Andre the Giant hands to enjoy it.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  2. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    The necks aren't all that big. Not in comparison to normal LP's or Rondo SX Teles and Strats. Love my SX guitars and my Sawtooth Tele. I am a small guy with smallish hands, but prefer thicker necks. It is the slim profile ones that seem cramped and give me cramps in my hand and wrist.

But I would call the Sawtooth Tele necks as being about average compared to other guitars.
    Having a hard believing that you actually filed the strings. Really? Filed? o_O

3. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-Nut

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    Saga of the Chipped Sawtooth !

4. wickedtools

wickedtools Squier-holic

May 16, 2010
    west texas
    I still have mine but never bonded with it, thing of putting a Squier Affinity neck and a Bigsby on it:)

5. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Dr. Squier

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    it makes for a better story - hyper bole

6. Hotrodleroy

Hotrodleroy Squier-holic

Dec 7, 2011
    USA
    You must live somewhere around McNairy County?

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  7. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    A good story, sounds like something I could have been caught up in. I would have changed a few things starting with "his girlfriend was going to drive down (yesterday). We agreed to meet at a nearby motel...…….."

8. johnnywizzo

johnnywizzo Squier-Meister

Feb 4, 2016
    Sorry to hear about your trouble, I've been there myself. Having guitars shipped is always a crap-shoot, especially inexpensive ones where you know the seller isn't going to go to great lengths to package it safely. At least with Wallyworld you can usually return it to the store for a refund, or ship it back on their dime for an exchange. I just returned an acoustic guitar to Wally today for a refund (bad truss rod). I should have requested an exchange, because I wasn't aware of the price hike.

Buying on eBay, I've received some badly banged-up guitars. I usually negotiate a partial refund, rather than bear the expense of return shipping on an inexpensive guitar. The trouble is, I'm way too fussy on condition, and it pains me to live with the damage.

Just for the record, I really like my Sawtooths, 001.JPG although I'm in the process of swapping out the selector switch on two of them.

9. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    51854EBF-4E5A-4F31-805F-24F65F6E68F5.jpeg Everyone is different. I thought the stock neck was too thin, so I swapped it out.

10. johnnywizzo

Feb 4, 2016
    What did you use for a neck, and did you run into any problems?

11. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    I bought a neck from the “GFS factory buyout” thing. They handily post the measurements of their necks, the pocket on my Sawtooth was a hair under 58mm, and the “accurate Fender spec” Allparts neck I have for another project, was gonna be too narrow for the pocket. I could have shimmed the sides of the pocket, but I found the GFS neck first. I did have to sand that neck down and refinish it, and one of the frets was a touch high, but nothing I couldn’t deal with. All the other Tele necks I had on hand were 56-57mm wide at the heel, they would bolt into the pocket but wouldn’t be a tight fit. I’ve shimmed other neck pockets with thin veneer, but on this guitar I got kind of lazy...

Kenneth Mountain and johnnywizzo like this.
  12. johnnywizzo

Feb 4, 2016
    It looks great, much better than the Sawtooth headstock.

Kenneth Mountain and daan like this.
  13. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    It was a NEW guitar for $50. Less than you might pay for a used guitar with some dings and still have felt like you got a great deal! Seems that small chip could have been easily glued back in and touched up.

As a side note, shortly after I got mine I turned around with it and banged it on the edge of my keyboard.dinged the edge of the lower bout, but a little touch up took care of it. No problem with a $50 new guitar that sounds and plays great. I sure wouldn't want to make one from scratch and then sell it for $50.

14. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-Meister

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    Yes @Caddy, twas $50. Yet I was anticipating a $175 retail new guitar at a bargain. Not a factory 2nd (or 3rd). Anticipation and expectations. Waa waa.

Didn't I see some of these with vintage saddles?

The neck--Mine was 53+ mm at the 12th fret, much wider than a LP and SE (pictured). I don't mind a chunky neck, just didn't expect a chunk. Visually it was noticeably wider than any I own except a classical. 3-4 mms made a huge difference in the feel.
    blackies.jpg

Man, she sounded good (with new strings) . I've got a Custom enroute from a member. That oughtta take care of my Tele GAS for a while. Maybe.

Les Paul at 12th fret--
    Les Paul neck width 12th fret.jpg

SE at 12th fret--
    SE neck width 12th fret.jpg

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018