Sawtooth tele - mods thread

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Tele-kitty, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Tele-kitty

Tele-kitty Squier-Meister

Dec 12, 2016
    Florida
    Ok dokies, I started the thread.
    Tell us any mods and upgrades you’ve done. If you’ve found exact drop-in fit parts, and where you found them. ;)
    Questions welcomed.

2. Tele-kitty

Dec 12, 2016
    Florida
    Has anyone replaced the nut yet in theirs? From my measurements it looks like a tusq xl fender style will work,anyone used one of those?

And curiosity ....does anyone know the radius on these? I don’t have radius gauges and I have looked all over, even sawtooth site and didn’t see it anywhere.
    Seems more like a 12 perhaps a little more.. too flat to be a 9.5 imo.

Going to measure the bridge later and perhaps see how easy it would be to upgrade it. The saddles are wanting to get a bit of rattle and buzz because the bridge is smooth and they are slip sliding all over the place. My low E is vibrating on the A saddle and sliding around the most.
    Tamed it temporarily with a small piece of painters tape in between the saddles lol
    Affinity toploaders didn’t have this issue as they have those little grooves the screws sit and and keeps the side to side motion under control.

And yep, the selector switch is getting a upgrade also. I wonder if the route is deep enough for one of the Oak Grigsby regular tele switches? I’ll probaly just do a whole new wiring harness while I’m at it.. :cool:

3. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Squier-Nut

Jan 19, 2018
    GA USA
    What's the routing like these guitars?

4. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America

I got mine in January of 2015. I changed the nut on mine to a TUSQ but honestly can't remember which one. I think the radius is indeed 12" but I will check with my gauges once I'm at home.
    I eventually changed the pickups, wiring, pots and switch on mine. Mine is extremely lightweight (under 6 pounds) and lots of fun to play.

Sawtooth Tele.jpg

5. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    Here's how mine is routed.
    Sawtooth Cavity.jpg

6. Tele-kitty

Dec 12, 2016
    Florida
    Not sure if they differ by color and model but my butterscotch ET only has the tele shaped neck and bridge cutout like the squire affinities. If you wanted to do a humbucker you would have to rout the body.

Edit..I posted right as Pat did. Mine looks like his there, minus the black shielding paint.

Thank you Pat. I’ll give the tusq a go. :D

Kenneth Mountain and Pat V. like this.
  7. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    I liked playing mine so much that I thought it deserved some upgrades.

Graphtech XL nut, CTS solid shaft pots, Dunlop knobs with set screws, Fender three way switch, Switchcraft jack and Orange Drop cap.

Tuners are fine as are the stock pickups (surprised that I really liked the pickups). My other two Teles have Fender Vintage '52 and '64 pickups.

8. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Squier-Nut

Jan 19, 2018
    GA USA
    Thanks for the routing info @Pat V. and @Tele-kitty

I've been wanting to do a Tele with a Gibson style mini HB at the neck. I could do the routing but I'd prefer to get one where it's already done.

Kenneth Mountain and Pat V. like this.
  9. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    The satin finish on mine took the Kiwi pretty well too.

Sawtooth Kiwi.jpg

10. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    All that’s left of mine as far as factory parts, is the body and the bridge. I got a different neck, a thick chrome neck plate (I hate the “gasket” neck plates), a pair of Alnico pups, a 4-way switch, full size pots, an Orange Drop cap, and drilled the body for string through. Most of that was because I like working on stuff, not because I HAD to change any of it... everything on mine functioned correctly, I just wanted to change it. Oh yeah, the neck pocket on my Sawtooth is wider than a correct Fender shaped one (mine’s 58mm wide, and a Squier neck I had was real loose in the pocket) obviously the bodies are set up for top load, so you’ll have to drill some holes if you want ferrules in back but the bridge SHOULD have all the holes to do it. I kept the stock bridge because it seems to work fine, it isn’t flimsy or loose like another sub-$100 Guitar I had. The control pocket was plenty big enough for a real switch and full size pots so that didn’t need to be changed. I thought the stock nut was terrible, but I ended up getting a whole new neck... I did like that the headstock face of the Sawtooth neck was Gloss but the remainder was a smooth matte, that was a nice touch I wasn’t expecting for a $50 Guitar. I did find the neck too skinny for my taste, but I’m sure I like bigger necks than the average person.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  11. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    I bought the seafoam green one for $50 a year ago. I replaced the crappy nut with bone, installed a 3 barrel bridge and replaced the tuners. I left the electronics alone. The pickups sounded great, so they stayed. It ended being a nice player. It didn't stay though... I sold it.

12. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

I checked mine last night and the fret board radius is 12". Sounds like the bridge is drilled for normal Tele pickups. I had originally thought the pickup looked smaller than standard, glad that is not the case.

As soon as I fix a leaky toilet, I'll finally get to play mine through an amp today, at least until the better half gets home!

13. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Squier-Nut

Jan 19, 2018
    GA USA
    I'd like to hear more about how you used this technique. I've tried it on some oak cigar box guitar necks I've made a the results weren't that good.

14. Wizzer

Wizzer Squier-holic

Jul 12, 2010
    Scottsdale, AZ
    The new Squier Bullet Teles are already routed to accommodate a mini bucker. Just FYI.

bgmacaw and Pat V. like this.
  15. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    I’ve done a bunch of them over the years and have found that the results vary quite a bit depending on the wood being treated. Here’s one of the Bullet Mustangs I did.
    http://www.squier-talk.com/threads/...-mustang-hh-edition.113452/page-9#post-536072

16. mkgearhead

mkgearhead Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2009
    Fort Morgan, CO
    I just did a quick mod to mine. I wired it so the tone control only affects the bridge pickup and bypasses the neck pickup. The neck pickup was a little muddy and this mod made it a little clearer. It’s just removing the wire from the volume pot that comes from the tone pot and soldering it to the lug on the switch for the bridge pickup.

johnnywizzo and Pat V. like this.
  17. mkgearhead

mkgearhead Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2009
    Fort Morgan, CO
    I remembered that I had a set of CV pickups in the parts drawer so I put them in. The difference is night and day. The original bridge pickup was OK but the neck pickup was really dark. The CV pickups are much better. When I removed the bridge pickup the baseplate wasn’t even attached to the pickup. The pickup was just wedged against the baseplate by the springs. I also reversed the control plate while I had it torn down.

18. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

Anyone thinking you might drill the heel of the bridge out so you can use a set of barrel saddles? Maximize its Tele-ness, you know!

19. mkgearhead

mkgearhead Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2009
    Fort Morgan, CO
    I’m thinking about getting the Wilkinson vintage bridge with the compensated saddles. According to my measurements it should cover the original mounting holes.

20. jvin248

jvin248 Squier Talker

Jan 10, 2014
    Michigan

Any pictures of the control cavity? Depth measurements?
    I'd want to put a 4-way Oak-Grigsby switch in there.
    And rotate the control plate for V-T-Switch to the rear.