Sawtooth Daphne blue Strats on sale

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by porkpie, Nov 9, 2017.

1. kjmac

kjmac Squier-Meister

Aug 14, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    I don't see how they can have those built in China, package them up and have them shipped to the United States for that kind of money. I just paid that much for a US made ash Telecaster body and thought I was cutting a fat hog. The cheapest new loaded pick guard I've ever seen is between 35 and 40 dollars and no matter how cheap, all the other hardware is going to run a minimum of $20.00. That doesn't even include the body and the neck. I figure if the thing actually plays out of the box it's a good platform for just messing around with and practicing one's mod skills.

Eddie and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  2. kjmac

kjmac Squier-Meister

Aug 14, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    You guys did it to me again. After looking at that thing on the Walmart web page, I couldn't pass it up. I have a parts caster with a plywood body and a really rough refinish job (my first attempt). If nothing else, I can put my hot rails pick guard on this Sawtooth and swap out the Grover tuners and neck from the partscaster. Should be a good functioning and very good looking guitar. Or... if it sounds good, just set it up and play it the way it is. :)

Eddie and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  3. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Well .... I hope you folks who ordered this thing will get it. It looks like there will be another one available. If you've read my earlier posts about my problems receiving this thing I will add another nail to the coffin. I called just now and there has been no movement at all for nearly four days so the clerk advised me to cancel the order and to re-order it, which of course means my credit card will be tied up for up to five business days until it clears. And of course I have no guarantee the reorder will go through.

So far this has happened:

1. First rep (chat) ... "It's stuck in processing."
    2. Second Rep (a supervisor) (chat) ..."Everything's fine."
    3. Third rep (chat) ..."Sure looks good."
    4. Fourth rep (phone support) ... "It's on track to be sent out Monday morning."
    5. Fifth rep (phone) ... well, that one I already mentioned.

Ironically , the first rep who said the order was "stuck" seems to be the only one who was right, although three other reps said he was wrong.

I will check on it later today but this just seems ridiculous. I know if I do nothing the charge will drop off my credit card in 10 or so days but I should just go ahead and cancel.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  4. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    I wouldn't get too stressed out. It has only been a few days and they probably don't ship on the weekend, then there was the holiday involved as well.

My Sawtooth Tele bought from Walmart some months ago arrived just fine, as they did for many others. Probably coming from Walmart HQ in Bentonville, Arkansas, as did the Teles.

As far as returns...? It is a $50 new guitar. If it is at all like the Teles, then they are a bargain. No lose situation.

Kenneth Mountain and radiotech like this.
  5. johnnywizzo

johnnywizzo Squier-Meister

Feb 4, 2016
    Mine is coming from Bloomington, California. It's on the Fedex truck and scheduled for delivery on Friday. Ralph, if you still haven't received shipping confirmation, maybe you should place a new order. There are still a few left.

6. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    I got an email and a FedEx tracking number. Supposed to be here on Wednesday, the same day I am testing a car so I may have a new guitar and a new (used) car the same day.

The car is a different color.

7. johnnywizzo

Feb 4, 2016
    Congratulations! You'll have your guitar before mine arrives. All's well that ends well.

8. kjmac

kjmac Squier-Meister

Aug 14, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    I ordered mine yesterday morning and it is scheduled to be here on Thursday. I’ve got a new neck and a set of generic hot rails I might install as I have already spent the time on the frets and put in a set of Grover tuners. Looks like the body and hardware look every bit as good as an Affinity. or something similar. I’ve been working on this other guitar for the past month and the body is just too far gone to get it smooth enough to take a good finish. Heck you can’t even buy a bare Strat body for $60.00 and then shipping is on top of that.

9. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Mine has been delayed a day to Thursday, but that works better for me because I won't be at home a good part of the day tomorrow.

I apologize for monopolizing this post with my perceived problems with the shipping. It was just that I talked or chatted with Walmart.com reps and got such widely conflicting reports. "It's stuck". "No it isn't." "Yes, it is; you should cancel the order and reorder." "No don't do that; everything is fine." Etc.

I would love to see pics and read reviews from you folks who have ordered the guitar.

10. johnnywizzo

Feb 4, 2016
    Sometimes I think that deciding to make the purchase, and then waiting for the delivery truck to back into the driveway is just as exciting as actually having the guitar...

11. johnnywizzo

Feb 4, 2016
    I looked out the front window today, and saw a large box sitting on my front landing. Sawtooth! Opening the box, I was dismayed at the shoddy packing job, and it had travelled all the way from California to the east coast like that. No packing material, just my guitar loose in a cardboard box (no tape securing the box cover, box open and guitar loose inside). And that box was inside another box (barely taped shut). I was expecting a damaged guitar. I got lucky instead.

Miraculously, there was no damage. This is a nice guitar! I've got other Strats, some expensive, and a couple of Squier Bullets. I just spent the last couple of hours fussing with the set-up (it was amazingly good as it was) and putting on new strings. The fit and finish is above average, with no blemishes whatsoever. The frets are level and the ends smooth. The neck is fairly chunky, which I like, and feels like the wood is unfinished. It plays well, and balances just fine.

The only negative is the tuners. These are beyond a doubt the crummiest tuners I have ever encountered. The holes are 10mm, so replacements should be easy. That's probably the only mod I will do to this Strat, because I like it as it is. Maybe new saddles will be in order later. I was planning to swap out the pickups, but after giving it a go through my Fender Deluxe Reverb, I can't see that happening anytime soon. These stock pickups are quite low output, but they have a sparkle and a spank that tell me they will be staying.

Walmart's website shows two left at this low price. I can't imagine that anyone would be sorry to own this guitar. But you might be sorry when they're gone. More reports later when I have a chance to dig into it further.

Caddy, Pat V. and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  12. Eddie

Eddie Squier-holic

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    True, the packing is terrible on the Sawtooths. My Sawtooth Tele was in a flimpsy box. No padding. But luckily, it arrived in good shape.

I didn't keep the Sawtooth Tele though. I gave it to a friend's kid. :)

techowiz and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  13. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Mine is due tomorrow but I don't know if I will be home. My car search was extended because my mechanic found a potential problem but the dealer has made me a counter offer.

Was it a right-handed guitar? I would sure appreciate some pictures.

Ouch! I don't like chunky necks. Especially on guitars.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017 at 8:32 PM
  14. johnnywizzo

Feb 4, 2016
    Yes, it is right-handed. The neck is not too beefy, but more substantial than my Bullets. Everyone has different opinions on guitar necks, it either fits your hand or it doesn't. That's one problem with buying sight-unseen. But I'll be surprised if you don't like it, especially for the price. The only way to get a better deal on a new guitar would be for someone to give you one.

I've been busy today getting the house ready for winter. I was afraid that I might not have time to open the box!

Let us know how you like yours.

15. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    I'm OK with that.

16. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    Hey Ralph, don't forget to let us know how it is. I could be compelled to get one just for the body if it's nice enough.

17. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    I got it today while I was out getting my new (used) car. However I think I may not open it until Christmas.

No, I'm serious.

The box is very light. Very light.

Kenneth Mountain and mdparent03 like this.
  18. johnnywizzo

Feb 4, 2016
  19. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Are all-foam guitars still being made?

Kjmac said he was supposed to get his guitar today.

Still two left.

20. kjmac

kjmac Squier-Meister

Aug 14, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Got mine today. Once again, I agree on the shoddy packing. The body must be made of balsa wood as it is the lightest Strat I've ever seen. However, I tuned it up, stretched the strings and it plays fine. The action is a little high, but I should be able to remedy that. At least the neck is straight. :) I have a set of Wilkinson tuners laying around that I might put on it, and it should be good to go. BTW here is a picture of $210.00 worth of Strats. I paid $99 for the Squier, 59.99 for the Sawtooth, and $50.00 for the surf green partscaster.

Strats.jpg