Saw this at the Library

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by daan, Jun 13, 2018.

1. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    So our local library has theme months, this one is “Libraries Rock”. They have display windows with various things depending on the theme. Obviously this time they have guitars (the other window has an Ibanez GIO (or is it G10?) Anyway a million years ago when I started playing, a friend had a guitar like the one I posted below. His was Sunburst, and said “Global” on it, but I remember it playing pretty good. Years later he still had it, but had modded it with a Tuna-Matic bridge and a Quarter Pounder pup. He sang and played rhythm, and that guitar was his #1. It sounded great! So of course I had to ask about the display guitars. They told me they were donated, and they’d get back to me about what they were gonna do with them after the displays came down. This Memphis has a Bill Lawrence L-500, so someone liked it enough to mod it...
    The last thing I need is another guitar, but if the price is right, and it’ll help the library out, I can see adding another guitar to the harem...

75D86A35-EC6F-4D2E-9E92-6474B71E07E8.jpeg CCFC9F51-BCAE-4243-8FD6-CE2357A721A7.jpeg 539312E0-0EB5-40E9-B7A1-DC549B99D796.jpeg A38E986D-38A4-4320-9EEF-98DD74A9A67B.jpeg

2. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    That is killer. I never thought that Memphis could be also my beloved Global brand. But dang it if the neck doesn't look similar.

I hope you get it. They would happily take a donation of books, CDs or whatever in exchange for it. OR maybe even you doing a presentation on guitars to kids. There's always room for donations and how-tos.

Kenneth Mountain and dbrian66 like this.
  3. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Feb 16, 2018
    North Central NC
    That's going to put someone's eye out. :)

Good luck getting it when they're done!

so1om, Kenneth Mountain and dbrian66 like this.
  4. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    That’s a cool looking guitar. I hope it finds its way to your house!

so1om and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  5. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    Memphis, Washburn, Global, Arbor, Lotus, Hondo, plus whatever else I can’t think of off the top of my head now, all sold the same MIK stuff in the 70’s and (early) 80’s. There were things that one had but the others didn’t, but plenty of the real low-end stuff got 20 different brands on them.... Not to say it’s bad, it was just a fact of life with the way Asian factories worked. Order enough of anything and they’ll put whatever you want on the headstock...

so1om and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  6. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    That I know, but it seemed that most Global stuff was ok while Memphis was a little more desirable/higher priced. It seems that it was also a regional thing as to where the importer had his business. I've seen way more Global around Chicago (Sears Catalog) compared to the others mentioned.

In the 70s, 80s Washburn was still headquartered and making guitars here. They still have offices nearby to this day.

But Global/Harmony def the entry level and prices.

daan likes this.
  7. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Squier-holic

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    So you'll buy the guitar to help the library out. That's an act of altruism and unselfishness in the community's interest - tell your wife I said that.

Is it the Hennepin Co. library? My wife used to rack up overdue fees so high that it would be cheaper for her to bring in a grocery bag of canned food for donation and get amnesty. She must have done that half a dozen times - at least.

so1om and Merv_j like this.
  8. squierbilly

squierbilly Squier-holic

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    I've got two Memphis guitars and they both have the same pickups,, I think their a bill Lawrence copy..
    The tuners in mine are cruddy but the wood has a cool Matsumoku neck through vibe,, but bolt on..
    Sorry,, no pics,,, Till I get home..:(. Can't even find one on the internet..

so1om likes this.
  9. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities

New Richmond WI... so east of Hennepin. Close, though... I think I still owe the Minneapolis library some $ from when I lived there in the 90’s...

Davis Sharp likes this.
  10. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    I've said it before.. these old off brands are getting harder and harder to find in any condition, let alone good. Not that they will ever become valuable, they are aa important part of guitar culture and have launched many a hobby to pro player. The will continue to develop their own little pocket of 'collectability' with that regard for sure.