Salvation of a standard

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by nitro, Dec 6, 2017.

1. nitro

nitro Squier-Nut

Mar 16, 2017
    ocala fl
    Well damn, it sure is crushing sometimes to relive an old memory. My younger brother and nephew came up to visit last weekend and brought this along

IMG_0195.JPG IMG_0192.JPG IMG_0194.JPG IMG_0193.JPG IMG_0196.JPG

Its been so many years since I have seen this guitar, Id done forgotten it to the point of argument that Id never seen it before in my life. Even though my brother swore up n down that I had done the set up on it and Im the one that put the roller trees and flatwound strings on it for him right after he got it from the pawn shop.

Damn that devils lettuce! Makes me kinda leary about what other memories may have gotten smoked away back in my wild and wooly days, but I digres. That was another life.

So the going in plan is to strip, dismantle, clean, clean and clean some more so I can see whats actually left to work with after 12+ YEARS IN THE FREAKIN SHED!!! Thats right, I cant believe that that is what he did to it, but he said he put on the shelf and left it there!

I have plugged it into an amp, AND EVERYTHING STILL WORKS!!! Albeit, the pots all sound scratchy when you turn them, the switch is actually working normally with no noises! Unbelievable...

Now, this is gonna take some time but Ill try to post pics as I go along. Wow! Should be fun. I might even strip the body and do a stain finish on it for him as a surprise. He doesn’t really like the color anyway.

theflow, Davey, rorygman and 12 others like this.
  2. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Fox Point, WI
    cool project!

I like the tint that old neck has taken on over the years - its gonna look even better when you clean her up!

3. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-Meister

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    Fun project indeed!

Just, when you give it back to him, make sure you leave him with some advice on the proper methods of storing guitars! :)

theflow, nitro and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  4. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    lol, Sounds like my experience of finding one in the closet that I had forgotten about..

5. squierbilly

squierbilly Squier-holic

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    I agree,, nice tint happening there... See if you can get the body to match the neck..

6. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Dr. Squier

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    A standard with a classic bridge ! I truly love stories like this ! ! I got parts ! ! Shoot me a list of what you need ! I have also been on the wrong end of a argument - maybe once........ or twice ? Don't blame it on the weed - I'm trying to get this **** legal in all 50 ! lol

theflow, -r3-, Bulletman and 2 others like this.
  7. squierTony

squierTony Squier-holic

Jul 4, 2012
    seminole Oklahoma
    I had a '99 with the 6 bolt trem. I actually still have the body.

8. nitro

nitro Squier-Nut

Mar 16, 2017
    ocala fl
    Ive no issues with anyone doing whatever they want. But from about age 12 to 40 , that was my bag so to speak. And I enjoyed and relished every mnute of it. I think Id had enough of the perpetual self induced fog I was in and had to know I had control of it rather than vice versa. And I really dont miss it. But Im only human and weak . I dont miss it like I thought I would. I do miss alot of my friends that Ive had to seperate myself from. It sucks in that respect. Im still friends with them all, and would drop whatever Im in the middle of to help if any of them called and they all onow it. Its like they say, once your an addict, your always one. So I have to keep myself out of situations where its available to me. Thats just me.

I have a beautiful wife and wonderful kids, a good job and my hobbies to keep me busy. And I actually need the clarity to keep up with my work. Its getting to be more and more challenging. But like I said , to each their own.

And yeah , right? Cant say Ive never seen a standard with a vintage style tremolo bridge. Cause apparently I have years ago when I had no knowledge of squiers . Ken I may take you up on the offer bro. Im gonna break it down this weekend. I’ll know better where Im at with it and what its gonna need. Thanks

9. Stratlover84

Stratlover84 Squier Talker

Jun 16, 2016
    NY
    It's crazy to think that our lives were so wild and crazy that we completely forget some patches of memories here and there!

Glad to hear you value the way things are going at the moment and glad to know this guitar will be getting some much needed love and attention!

Very excited to see the outcome of this axe! Here is a song in dedication to the guitar:

theflow, nitro, squierbilly and 3 others like this.
  10. Bulletman

Bulletman Squier-Meister

Nov 6, 2017
    Tuckerton NJ
    That is a sweet project, but I would leave the color on the body and just buff it out. It's yours, but the patina is awesome on that, scratches, dents and paint missing. It's going to come out great. Please post teardown pictures if you can. I would love to tackle something like that. Very cool..!! Love it....

11. Kenneth Mountain

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    cool - I'm sure I have some "relic stuff? for when it's applicable and new also ! LMK

theflow and nitro like this.
  12. Bulletman

Bulletman Squier-Meister

Nov 6, 2017
    Tuckerton NJ
    I want some relic stuff Ken :(

13. Ray Stankewitz

Ray Stankewitz Squier-Meister

Oct 11, 2014
    Fremont, CA
    To heck with those "Fake" relic guitars; this is real, my friend. I'm sure she will look the part of a true "I've been gigged hard, put away sweaty" survivor when you're done. I particularly like the 'black' B & E strings - corrosion at its finest. That's what all of the plain strings on my Dean Boca 12 looked like when I acquired it at a little hole in the wall guitar shop in Martinez, CA.

Keep us up to date on this. Makes me want to go yard sale cruising this weekend for a real relic like this.

14. nitro

nitro Squier-Nut

Mar 16, 2017
    ocala fl
    Im scratchining my head on this one. Ive been looking at squier wiki this morning for info. This this shouldnt have a classic 6 point bridge! But everything else , externally seems to be correct. The black metalic paint doesn’t show up on any other models in 2000. And near as I can tell, that was the first year for the standards. Im not sure about that because on the wiki the catalogs jump from 97 to 00. It was made in the cort factory and the serial # puts it in the first 50k made I think.

Well tonight Im gonna start breaking her down to take a look under the hood. It should have Alnico pups, which these all run through the output jack at ,B;3.63, M;3.74 and N;3.89. Seems odd that the neck would be hotter than the bridge. But I’ll check them again after teardown.

theflow and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  15. Bulletman

Bulletman Squier-Meister

Nov 6, 2017
    Tuckerton NJ
    What's the serial number start with or can you post it? Wow, yeah that is kind of strange that the neck is hotter than the bridge and middle too. Great project. Love it.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  16. squierTony

squierTony Squier-holic

Jul 4, 2012
    seminole Oklahoma
    The pre 2000 standards had the vintage trem and ceramic magnet pickups not the alnico like in the post 2000 models.

rlh5599, theflow, nitro and 1 other person like this.
  17. squierTony

squierTony Squier-holic

Jul 4, 2012
    seminole Oklahoma
    Ok thinking back my '99 had a 21 fret neck too. 3359-1344060806-41505f266815d0501218999face1bae1.jpg

18. Kenneth Mountain

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    I should clarify - when I said "relic" what I meant is that I have old looking parts that I replaced with new parts and keep in a used parts bin - these to me are naturally reliced ? I have never taken a new part and made it look old on purpose - I have a lot of old parts that came by there condition naturally !

If your going for a look - the old parts come in handy ?

19. Kenneth Mountain

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Talk to me - what do you need ?

20. mikm

mikm Dr. Squier

Jun 4, 2012
    NY
    If it were me I'd take everything off it I could and clean everything in a mild soap and water for the plastics, and for the metal parts I've used jewelry cleaner with good results but I'm sure the guys here have many methods to try. For the body again, mild soap and water. The neck could probably use some naptha and a tooth brush etc. Some Murphys oil soap would do a deep clean on that neck and headstock as well. It's starting to come around as a well played guitar and it would be nice to continue in that direction. It's already got mojo goin for it! Watever you decide on, keep us posted! Good luck.

theflow, nitro, Shine and 1 other person like this.