Salt in Beer

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by RegularJim, Jun 9, 2018.

Salt in Beer

1. Always

2. Sometimes

3. Blech!

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Merv_j

Merv_j Squier-Nut

Aug 6, 2017
    Lincoln uk
    I could never drink fizzy beer at 12.... it's usually gin and tonic at that time of day!!!!!

squierplayer and Triple Jim like this.
  2. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Go into any truly fine restaurant and you'll find no salt or pepper shakers on the table.

I'd expect the same to be true for truly fine beer. And at risk of being called a cork sniffer most of what was called "beer" here in the US hasn't qualified for that.

I say "was" because this is changing. There are today many, many fine beers being made and enjoyed in America. And I doubt if many of those who buy them for their quality (in contradistinction to being seen drinking them) would think about adding salt.

Its not a matter of price, but of culture. "Fine" for many here in the US is just another four latter word that begins with "f."

-don

squierplayer and Merv_j like this.
  3. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Ok.. NOW THIS I have heard of.

When my grandfather was about 10 years old (1920s) his father owned a pool hall and would run beer for him. Almost all beer came in a bucket from kegs and you'd carry them sometimes with the broom stick across the shoulders with a hook on each end. When he used to get home from school he'd go to the pool hall so his dad could go play the horses. He learned to shoot pool at an early age and was pretty good right up until he passed at 83.

As for the lime in beer...

This originates from the dusty open trucks that brought beer to the cantinas in the south west of the US and mexico. The cans would be dirty. As there were always bowls of limes on the table for tequila drinkers, people would use a slice of lime to wash off the top of the can. From there it morphed into putting lime in the actual beer.

where bottles are actually recycled, the beer companies hated this because they had to hired people with hemostats to pull out the old lime rinds

to get the max amount of juice in a bottle or can, simple pinch the lime on a knife with the point directed at the opening of the can. The juice sticks to and runs down the knife and directly in.

the myth of Corona containing urine was started by Heineken because their sales would improve by Corona faltering.

I happily drink good ol macro brews like Miller Lite. I've tried and wasted a ton of money for what all the hipsters and cork sniffers say is "good". It's like when someone tells me my Squier isn't a real guitar.

Cheers!

CVSteve, radiotech and Merv_j like this.
  4. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    I like a good micro brew as much as the next guy (Gerst by Yazoo in Nashville is my new favorite) but nothing is better on a hot day than a cold macro brew beer after finishing the lawn or other outside work. My father in law could be a beer snob and actually makes his own beer, but he keeps some Bud or Michelob in the garage fridge for just this purpose.

CVSteve and Merv_j like this.
  5. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    One likes what one likes. But it is also so that a person can train the palate.

Indeed we all do to so extent. Few of us as adults like what we liked as kids. Exposure opens new possibilities -- and some of those possibilities will appeal to us.

My first exposure to beer beyond the bottled Miller Jan and I used to buy to enjoy with a pizza was during my first trip to visit friends in Germany back in `84. My friend, who I'd come to know during a time when he worked and lived in Boston, was a true beer lover. Not a connoisseur in the later American yuppie sense, but a person who grew up back when each German town had its own brewery (and sausage maker!) -- and he had come to have a sensitive palate that knew this from that. -Who knew and could identify the effect of a brewer adding the ingredients in different orders.

German beer even in `84 was limited by law as to what went into it. But quality still varied, not just in the good and not so good sense, but in delicate differences of taste and feel in the mouth.

Anyhow during that first extended (three and a half week) visit he and his American wife took Jan, our then 12 year old son, and I on tasting journeys. Sometimes a friend accompanied us who was himself a small brewer. We tasted. They explained what we were tasting. And oh, the beers we got to enjoy! My palate was changed. As was Jan's. Well even, I suppose, was that of our then young son!

One can deny that this has value and such is unarguable. It either is or isn't. This is not a moral campaign. But to me it is a life enriching thing. As is enjoying various types of coffee -- made well.

Since then my son has grown older -- now late 40s -- and he is a real, not a phony, connoisseur of all sorts of things. Wine. Whiskey. Food. (Ever had genuine Kobe beef?) And he opens Jan and my eyes almost every visit. And loves doing so.

To life!

-don

nitro, daan and Merv_j like this.
  6. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-Nut

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    My grandfather used to put salt in his beer.

7. Afrika61

Afrika61 Squier-Nut

Home grown around here:
    2d7598693049691532f5c716d27d2a53.jpg
    But ONLY in a bottle: the canned stuff is like "pre-flat" if such a thing exists,..

daan and squierplayer like this.
  8. Redwhiteandblues

Redwhiteandblues Squier-Meister

Mar 28, 2018
    North idaho
    Grandpa did the salt in beer thing. I only drink craft beer no salt. I acutally hate salt period.

9. jersey11

jersey11 Squier-Meister

Mar 3, 2018
    usa
    it's cheap, kinda creamy..but thought i would share a michigan classic with everyone.. za zdorovie!:D 20180612_204633.jpg

Afrika61, Acidhouse and RegularJim like this.
  10. nitro

nitro Squier-holic

Mar 16, 2017
    ocala fl
    Ok, I’ll be the wierdo this time around. I dont drink very often. But I do love trying new things. When I was a kid, my old man would let my younger brother and I share a beer with him after helping out with yard work. Trying to get on our good side I suppose. He was a miserable bastard most of the time. That being said, he loved spicy foods. Believe it or not , I , on more than one occasion watched the man put salt on a damn raw onion and snack on it. Gives me the willy’s when I revisit that memory. That said, he also had an affinity for tobasco sauce on everything but boobs. Lol. Including his beer.

Now , I know how repulsive that may sound, but in weaker pale bears , it actually does help it I think. Myself, when I want a beer, I choose my Guiness Stout. But if I’m in need and theres nothing but piss colored beer available, then the hotsauce trick helps. Stay thirsty my friends.

daan and Merv_j like this.
  11. JoeInMichigan

JoeInMichigan Squier Talker

Jun 10, 2018
    Michigan
    Strohs used to treat employess,and delivery drivers very well,cold cuts ,breads,condiments out for all,and if you worked there,beer too. Every time I'm on N.75 and hit the 375 split in detroit(Strohs curve us Freight shakers called it) I think of Strohs signature.

Afrika61, daan, Merv_j and 1 other person like this.
  12. jersey11

jersey11 Squier-Meister

Mar 3, 2018
    usa
    great to have a fellow michigander here...so many great memories from food to our boozes ;)

Merv_j likes this.