Salt in Beer

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by RegularJim, Jun 9, 2018.

Salt in Beer

1. Always

2. Sometimes

3. Blech!

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. corn

corn Squier-holic

Feb 27, 2013
    San Diego
    Just went out to lunch yesterday with the wife to a place in Chula Vista called TJ‘s oyster bar They have a bunch of different flavored Michaldas

62FF1EA7-918F-40D1-AB0F-E1CDCD4C493C.jpeg

so1om and fuelish like this.
  2. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-Nut

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow, Scotland
    If it is American beer, salt in it has to be an improvement... surely.. If it is any proper continental beer, then these guys are wanting shot...hahaha ( btw I'm on the Birra Moretti right now, so if I offend anyone...tough!...hahaha)

Merv_j likes this.
  3. techowiz

techowiz Squier-Nut

Aug 21, 2014
    new york
    Moretti an improvement over Schmidts- possibly..... :)

4. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-Nut

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow, Scotland
    No idea, never heard of it.. this another American potion?

Merv_j likes this.
  5. techowiz

techowiz Squier-Nut

Aug 21, 2014
    new york
    Yes- bottom of the barrel US beer!

Merv_j likes this.
  6. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-Nut

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow, Scotland
    salt barrel

Merv_j likes this.
  7. Merv_j

Merv_j Squier-Nut

Aug 6, 2017
    Lincoln uk
    There was a Monty Python joke....
    American beer is like Making love in a canoe.... it's F#####' close to water!!!!
    That said I do like Bud....

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    nitro, fuelish and Acidhouse like this.
  8. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Feb 16, 2018
    North Central NC
    There are many, many different breweries in the US now, so saying all American beer is improved with salt would be like saying all British food is terrible. Neither is true.

9. Shaytan

Shaytan Squier-Meister

Apr 10, 2018
    Lisbon, Portugal
    LOL! Beer by itself is "blech" to me! :D

10. squierplayer

squierplayer Squier-Nut

Feb 27, 2011
    Wisconsin
    WTF: Sorry, I like Porter or Stout. They are good on their own.:)

nitro likes this.
  11. JoeInMichigan

JoeInMichigan Squier-Meister

Jun 10, 2018
    Michigan
    Here, in Detroit area,more mature folks than me,always used it for draft needs that were on the flat side of age,bowling alley has salt shakers at the bar for such.

12. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Feb 16, 2018
    North Central NC
    Welcome to the board, Joe!

Merv_j likes this.
  13. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Hey guys,

I have an answer on this... back when I was seven, we lived in northern MN, and owned a General store, kitty corner was (and still is) the oldest bar in MN (Hayslips corner). My grandfather went in for a lunch constitutional every so often ;). He always got a bottle, and a hi-ball Glass (also known as a “short glass”). Since it was midday, and the place was empty, I would go with him (enjoying a root beer, or orange crush in a 10oz bottle). One day, they were out of his brand in bottles, so he took a tap beer in a tall glass. After a third was gone, he asked for a salt shaker... I asked what he was going to do with the salt... he said “watch and learn”. When the salt hit the (now headless) beer, the head came back a bit, he did this two more times before finishing. I asked him why he did it, he responded:
    ”Back when I started drinking beer, you bought in in buckets at the bar, and took it home. It was good the night you brought it home, but it would go flat within a day or so if you didn’t drink it all.
    Flat was bad for most people, and salting it was a way to see if it’s flat (because it won’t foam if it’s flat). I just became used to having a bit of foam on my beer (which is why he drank bottles with a short glass, every pour brings some foam), so when I get it on tap in a tall glass, I salt it for the head.”

Side note: The buckets of beer had heavy lids to keep from spilling, but they didn’t seal, and the lids would rumble, and burp as you walked with it... it sounded like a dog growling, so folks called them “growlers”, which is why they call brewery beer in jugs these days that name.

Not the horses mouth, but I’ve heard the same from others of his generation in later years.

Viking, Merv_j, so1om and 1 other person like this.
  14. gearobsessed

gearobsessed Squier-holic

Aug 21, 2013
    new zealand
    I had a friend who would put 2 teaspoons of salt and two of pepper in his lemonade, I would hate to think what he puts in his beer!

15. My kinda beer (no salt);) Cheers, Barrie.

16. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    I drink a lot of beer. A LOT. Never heard of this one.

17. I grab me a bottle of George Dickel every once in a while. Been a while though. Cheers, Barrie.

18. fuelish

fuelish Squier-Meister

Or, being a former Philly guy, pretzels...mmm mmm mmm

Afrika61 and duceditor like this.
  19. Nathan1709

Nathan1709 Squier-Meister

Dec 30, 2017
    Reading
    Never heard of this? Sounds utterly bizarre, why would you want to ruin a perfectly good beer?

20. mikesr1963

mikesr1963 Squier-holic

May 6, 2016
    Virginia
    Well, when I started drinking beer at 12 it was a neat way to make it foam up but I started drinking a quality beverage at 13 so I stopped doing it.

Merv_j likes this.