Salt in Beer

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by RegularJim, Jun 9, 2018.

Salt in Beer

1. Always

2. Sometimes

3. Blech!

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. porkpie

porkpie Squier-Nut

Mar 16, 2015
    Idaho
    It was a popular thing to do back in the '50s and '60s.

dbrian66 likes this.
  2. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    Same here, except I always say "nein" to the wheat.

dbrian66 likes this.
  3. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-Nut

Feb 16, 2018
    North Central NC
    Unless you're trying to observe an obsolete German purity law that was designed to keep wheat available for baking when it was in short supply, spices can help create some really good styles. As an example, I put a little fresh Rosemary in a batch I made, and it was a very pleasant change of pace. I don't use salt, however.

dbrian66 and SoundDesign like this.
  4. LutherBurger

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    I do something similar: I put rosemary on the pork that I wash down with my beer. :)

nitro, dbrian66, daan and 4 others like this.
  5. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Squier-Meister

Jan 29, 2017
    ABQ
    We have a lot of seriously crap beer here in the states, and people think it is normal and acceptable.

6. 1935streetrod

1935streetrod Squier-holic

Feb 15, 2010
    michigan
    ... I do it once in a while ... It will tame the bitterness of cheap beer ... It will also bring the foam head back up ...
    ... If you put salt on the coaster or napkin you set your glass on ... it keeps it from sticking to the bottom of the bottle or glass ...

7. willhowl

willhowl Squier-holic

Dec 19, 2011
    Houston Texas
    I Like Beer...having some right now......Bud Ice......probably considered crappy by most, but it's affordable, and pleasing to me...........I'm a poor boy........could be the beer, right???

However.....Ixnay on the altsay.....Now...I do like Micheladas, sometimes with a Season Salt rim....Bloody Marys, same.....

Overall alltime favorite would be Guinness Stout...(No Salt, are you insane?????:eek:)....Mex brew, Bohemia......and many Euro brands.........Beck's, Heinie, Pilsner Urquell...........but basically, no salt...lime, maybe..............willhowl

Oh, yeah....in a former life,I was a serious professional bartender, did quite a bit of job-related research.......ANNNNND......howza bout Egg in yer beer??????

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    so1om, dbrian66, Acidhouse and 2 others like this.
  8. Acidhouse

Acidhouse Squier-holic

Sep 16, 2010
    Birmingham . . . Alabama
    I would be willing to try it. I’m an IPA guy but it plays hell with my sinuses. I’ve got some Coronas in the fridge. They have to be doctored with lime to be palatable. I’ll try a little salt too.

dbrian66 likes this.
  9. Afrika61

Afrika61 Squier-Nut

Go into ANY Canadian Legion when the WWII Vets were in predominance and you'd see the pickled-egg-in-beer thing quite often. Don't know exactley where that came from but I got the impression that a lot of the Vets picked it up while they were overseas,...

Viking, dbrian66 and LutherBurger like this.
  10. LutherBurger

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    Eggs, sausage sticks...

Beer for breakfast!!!

11. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Squier-holic

Oct 5, 2014
    Gilbert, AZ
    It’s pretty much like a lime in a beer, usually because the beer in question tastes like water with aftertaste. I pick a tastier beer instead.

Triple Jim and Merv_j like this.
  12. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Five Points, AL
    Never tried it, never even thought about it before this thread.

Of course I would never put lime in a beer either. I tend to the darker, more robust beers.

That being said, I am the product of a culture that put(or used to) salted peanuts in their Coca-Cola. And no, I have not done that since I was a young teenager.....

nitro and Afrika61 like this.
  13. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Squier-holic

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    You can put beer in pancake batter, right?

Acidhouse, Merv_j and LutherBurger like this.
  14. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Five Points, AL
    That I can see.

Whiskey in baked / pork n' beans is excellent.

Merv_j and LutherBurger like this.
  15. LutherBurger

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    I do that sometimes, but not to make pancakes. I add beer and cayenne pepper to dry pancake mix, and use the mixture to batter fish before dropping it into the deep fryer. Mmm.

16. Merv_j

Merv_j Squier-Nut

Aug 6, 2017
    Lincoln uk
    Just in case I try this...
    How much salt are we talking???
    Does it need to be responsibly sourced Himalayan rock salt or will the normal stuff do???

Details people!!!! I could end up putting too much salt in my beer. That'll make me thirsty, and maybe need another salty beer. It'll be a 'chicken and egg' situation that will result in a poorly_j!

fuelish likes this.
  17. Afrika61

Afrika61 Squier-Nut

Occasionally you mis-speak: burbon is the way to go in that situation. Yum!!!!!!;)

18. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Five Points, AL
    Bourbon is definitely great, but a quality, smooth, sippin' whiskey like George Dickel works well, too.

Las Palmas Norte likes this.
  19. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-Nut

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I have never heard of this before.. someone tell me why anyone in their right mind would put salt in their beer or for that matter drink a crap brew..wtf is wrong with you people...hahahaha

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    Merv_j and Davis Sharp like this.
  20. Afrika61

Afrika61 Squier-Nut

Ah, I'll have to send you a bit of this then:
    DSCF1536.JPG

jefffam and corn like this.