Rustoleum Painter’s touch 2x garbage

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by so1om, Dec 26, 2018.

1. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
  2. mbroadus

mbroadus Squier-Meister

Dec 31, 2012
    jax
    Ha Ha ........... That was the only way to end that evil:)

Luvs2yoko and dbrian66 like this.
  3. LzeroKI

LzeroKI Squier-Meister

Jan 13, 2014
    North Carolina
    Thats a great shade of red! Do you remember what the name of that Rustoleum color was?

4. JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac Squier-Meister

Mar 5, 2018
    Front range Colorado
    Satin Fire Orange.

001.JPG

5. LzeroKI

LzeroKI Squier-Meister

Jan 13, 2014
    North Carolina
    Oh wow, I would never have thought that was a shade of orange, looks more red to me. Thanks! I've got a cheap bass I'm thinking of re-finishing with Painter's Touch 2x in the "Poppy Red" color. I think I'd like something in between fiesta red and dakota red.

6. JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac Squier-Meister

Mar 5, 2018
    Front range Colorado
    The shade really depends on the light. I considered Poppy Red too. Very rich color.

004.JPG

012.JPG

dbrian66 likes this.
  7. LzeroKI

LzeroKI Squier-Meister

Jan 13, 2014
    North Carolina
    Man that is a nice job you did. Another question: whats the purpose of the clearcoat if you went with matte, just to protect the color coat?

dbrian66 likes this.
  8. JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac Squier-Meister

Mar 5, 2018
    Front range Colorado
    Thanks. I find that rattle can satin or matte is much more forgiving to apply than gloss.

I applied the matte clear to protect the color coats from scuffs and scratches just like clear over gloss. Seems to be pretty durable.

And, I've finally learned to allow plenty of time between coats. I can't stress that enough.

9. LzeroKI

LzeroKI Squier-Meister

Jan 13, 2014
    North Carolina
    My understanding is the can of Rustoleum says to wait either 10 minutes ( or less) between color coats, or at least 48 hours, right? But you did 4 days between color coats (if I'm reading your post right), correct?

Also, did you start with a light misting color coat to have something for the paint to "stick to"? That seems to be something a lot of tutorials encourage.

Thanks for any info you're willing to share!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  10. JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac Squier-Meister

Mar 5, 2018
    Front range Colorado
    I sprayed several very light coats one after the other. Waited about 5 minutes then another slightly heavier coat, making sure to get good coverage with none of the original color showing through. Then I believe I waited several days for it to cure well before applying another two light coats within minutes of each other. Then after several days a final color coat.

I intended to wait 10 days to 2 weeks before applying the clear but I think waited a week.

I've found that if I don't allow enough cure time in between coats it takes it takes forever, if ever, for it to completely cure.

Adding on: I hosed down my garage floor to try to make it as dust free as possible and didn't spray unless the temp was at least 70 degrees for faster drying.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    LzeroKI likes this.
  11. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Above I was told that the misting coats are actually NOT good and that it should be a fairly heavy coat.

Whatever it is, I still have the nice body with crap paint all over it. I'm waiting for it to warm up outside so I can burn it.

12. JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac Squier-Meister

Mar 5, 2018
    Front range Colorado
    I didn't "mist" it on. I initially sprayed "light" coats then wetter coats after that. You can see my results. Sorry that you're having so much trouble. :(

13. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    What's a good stripper/process? It's an older mini so i'm not sure or not sure if it matters with regard to the paint.

14. LzeroKI

LzeroKI Squier-Meister

Jan 13, 2014
    North Carolina
    Thanks for this detailed info!! I've never refin'd a body before, but I'm very excited to give it a try. The bass I'm going to do is a very cheap plywood body (I only held onto it because it was my very first bass/guitar), and its not exactly a looker already, so if I screw it up, it won't bother me much at all, I'll just sand it down and retry.

Thanks again!

15. danzigdan

danzigdan Squier-Meister

Feb 10, 2014
    NYS
    One of the hardware chains here in the Northeast (Valu) is blowing out a lot of their Krylon line for $1.99/$2.99; Colormaster, SuperMaxx, Fusion and Rust Protector lines. I was going to look into some of the flat/satin colors. I don't think I have the patience or workspace to do gloss/clearcoats at the moment.

16. neilca

neilca Squier Talker

Mar 22, 2019
    Marietta, GA
    Not sure if this is too late, but I used a heat gun on my mini. Burn the paint, and it just falls off. I saw this when I googled stripping a guitar. Worked great. Had it all off in an hour.

17. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    thank you for the tip.

I haven't touched the guitar since last year. Still not sure what i'm going to do about it, but it sure was a waste of time, money and a nice guitar.

dbrian66 likes this.
  18. neilca

neilca Squier Talker

Mar 22, 2019
    Marietta, GA
    I reread this post and it sounded like you were having some kind of contamination problem on the back. Is that correct? The finish was bubbling?

dbrian66 likes this.
  19. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Yes. The body was being contaminated by garbage paint.

dbrian66 likes this.
  20. JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac Squier-Meister

Mar 5, 2018
    Front range Colorado
    I truly am sorry that you are having so much trouble with this project, but I don't understand why you insist on blaming the paint.

Others, including myself have had good results. The paint may not be the best but it is not "garbage" and I doubt that it contains contaminants that are causing "bubbling".

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    dbrian66 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice