Running two little amps.

Discussion in 'Amp-a-ridifiers' started by Smith357, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Smith357

Smith357 Squier-Meister

Apr 30, 2017
    ohio
    So I have two small 5 watt tube amps and Fender and a Crate. They are not at all similar in tone, the Fender is smooth and creamy and the Crate is bright and twangy. Using the left and right outputs in my Amplifi FX100 floor board I have a left and right amp, I'm running the board naked save a touch of reverb. Running them together this way they really seem to compliment each other with a full rich room filling sound that is better than either amp played solo. Does anyone else run two dissimilar amps at the same time or am I just a whack job with too much time on my hands?

2. mechanic1908

mechanic1908 Squier-Meister

Mar 18, 2010
    Ontario
    You aren't a whack job. ( or we both are)
    I have a 5 watt valve jr and a 20 watt Kustom 20 watt solid state( with a 12" speaker) and I run them both off my vamp3 outputs. Sounds 10x better than either one solo.

3. fuelish

fuelish Squier-Meister

Not at all strange.....just fleshin' out the sound, I often use a Valve Jr with another amp, perhaps my Tweaker or my Rumble 25 (Rumble works well with with my guits)

Smith357 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  4. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Feb 16, 2018
    North Central NC
    Robin Trower, at least at one time, ran one of his Marshalls overdiven and another one clean, at the same time. I have two speaker cabinets that are the same, but with two very different speakers in them, and I've found they do what you discovered... sound really good together.

Robb, Smith357, mechanic1908 and 2 others like this.
  5. Tconroy

Tconroy Squier-Nut

Sep 11, 2015
    kansas city mo
    I have been wanting to do this also but with an ab/y box. Problem is most of those boxes have bad reviews such as bleed over and real noisy. don't need noise,what is it you have that splits to two amps?

6. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    Allot of people run 2 amps. Sometimes I run my Champ and Blues Jr and it sounds awesome.

Robb, Smith357 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  7. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    I've done that very often.

For guitar I used to have a Fender Blues Jr. (15 watts) and a Vox Pathfinder 10 (so, 10 watts). I don't know if my Blues Jr. was ailing or one of the tubes was failing but it didn't do trebles well ... which is sort of Fender's wheelhouse, right. So I used the two together as the Blues Jr. did the bass and mids well and the Vox, with it's mighty 6.5-inch speaker, was all highs, a little mids but little bass at all.

For bass I had a couple tag teams: Sometimes I ran my TC Electronics BG250 (15-incher and a tweeter) with my tiltback Hartke 10 (10-inch speaker). Even the speakers were different compositions as the Hartke had an aluminum speaker. The BG250 had 250 watts while the Hartke had 120. But with the two amps I had a mini "rig" encompassing one 10-inch speaker, one 15-inch speaker and a tweeter. I would elevate the Hartke and use the tiltback feature.

Howver with running two amps together you have to look out for a ground loop hum or other problems. I never encountered those, however.

8. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    As a splitter I went "cheap" and just used one of those double connectors you could buy and I brought along an old EQ pedal and connected that to one of the outlets. I think I may have used also some pedal, such as a chorus, that has the stereo outputs. I've also used my old DigiTech BP 8 which is set up to split the signal. The BP 8 has an interesting option which allows me to split the bass notes to one amp and the treble to another amp.

Again I realize my setups were not ... except for the BP 8 ... the "right" way to work but they worked.

9. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Dr. Squier

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    I run 2 amps - big's and smalls - and not the same - different speakers also - really great full sound ! three of my pedals are stereo - the last in the chain is a stereo reverb !

10. Tconroy

Tconroy Squier-Nut

Sep 11, 2015
    kansas city mo
    UPDATE! I just went down stairs and found out that I have had a splitter all along and didnt even know it. It is a Belkin 5 to 1 splitter for headphones so 5 people can listen to the same songs without disturbing others. I had the 3mm to 1/4 trs jack adapters and plugged in 2 amps and it works great! No noise and sounds totally different even at very low volume. I have 3 amps and might even hook em all up and see what that sounds like. the fender champion 100 has 2 channels so I actually do have 3 different channels. Just another idea to keep me motivated and want to play more! Thanks for posting this Smith 357. Been a good day so far. I learned this, have the weekend off and just made $250 on a C.L. deal. Paid $35 for what I sold for $250, so that was a $215 profit, SCORE!!!

11. corn

corn Squier-holic

Feb 27, 2013
    San Diego
    Years ago I used to play through a Twin Reverb and a Pro Reverb, I split them with a stereo delay pedal

Robb, Smith357, VealCutlet and 2 others like this.
  12. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    I used an ABY switch and ran my big Fender amp and my Fender Deluxe together..I had the Deluxe set for dirt and the big one set for ultra clean..
    Sometimes I ran them both together..

Smith357, VealCutlet, 5thumbs and 2 others like this.
  13. Smith357

Smith357 Squier-Meister

Apr 30, 2017
    ohio
    I just tried swapping out one of the small amps for my Hartke KB12, after tweaking the EQ I am very pleased. The big bottom really sounds great with the shimmering highs. Thanks for the idea.

14. 5thumbs

5thumbs Squier-holic

Dec 19, 2009
    usa
    Like Papa I sometimes use my Marshall and my Egg. Or Marshall and Fender Blues Jr. Via ABY

15. corn

corn Squier-holic

Feb 27, 2013
    San Diego
    This is what I played through now, one is 14 watts has reverb , the other is 7 W and has tremolo . Once again I split them using a delay pedal it sounds so cool with tremolo it makes it sound like both amps have Tremolo and reverb and the delay bounces between the two
    925C5553-68E7-4BB1-A51F-C231CB1696D4.jpeg

Matt Shevell, Robb, Smith357 and 2 others like this.
  16. Jay Jackson

Jay Jackson Squier-Meister

Sep 1, 2018
    sanluisobispo CA (3401
    when I have 2 amps I use 2 amps some times stereo some times Not It has more to do with the Guitar and if I can set it up stereo. You can Get some very nice sounds with 2 amps

17. Luvs2yoko

Luvs2yoko Squier-holic

Jan 19, 2014
    Pa
    image.jpeg Works for Jeff.

Robb, Smith357, corn and 2 others like this.
  18. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    Though I didn't do it while live gigging, I would do a lot of messing around with different ideas with two or more amps at home..
    One was setting one up with a Ross compressor at a high setting and the other amp dry..( using a splitter)..I would get the attack on one and infinite sustain on the other..I could play a note, go have supper, and it would still be sounding when supper was done with..
    Another one, that gave me great pleasure, was placing one amp at my extreme left and the other extreme right..Stereo..Then messing around with different settings on each one..Just had to careful not have them facing each other and canceling out the sound..

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  19. jvin248

jvin248 Squier Talker

Jan 10, 2014
    Michigan
    About 9 minutes in a good discussion of two dissimilar amps and an ABY pedal.

Robb, Kenneth Mountain and Smith357 like this.
  20. mikesr1963

mikesr1963 Squier-holic

May 6, 2016
    Virginia
    I run through a 25R Fender Frontman through a 4 x 12, and a Crate XT120R and have been for a few years. It's the only way to fly.