Rosewood CV60’s vs Indian Laurel CV60’s vs maple CV50’s

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by Taurus, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Taurus

Taurus Squier Talker

Sep 8, 2018
    Liverpool, United Kingdom
    I am really interested in a strat since ages and could buy one later this month. I think it’s between the VM70’s or the Classic Vibe that I will buy. But...

My insperation for learning the guitar again, came at the start of the year by Rory Gallagher, and I’d love a guitar which was like his. For this reason I’ve been looking into the CV60’s, but they now make it with Indian Laurel instead of Rosewood o_O if anyone has any experience with both the old Rosewood CV and the new Indian Laurel CV I’d be interested to hearing your thoughts to the comparison/if there is a comparison between them.

But I am also interested in the CV50’s haha :D it looks absolutely beautiful. It’s just a shame they didn’t make the Sunburst brown CV50’s with the Rosewood neck.

But yeah, what are the 2 versions of the CV60’s like in comparison? (If there is a comparison between the tones and feel of the newer wood and original). I’m guessing the CV50’s maple would sound different.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  2. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    Easy choice for me. I have to have maple on Strats and especially Teles or they just look wrong to me.

3. mikm

mikm Dr. Squier

Jun 4, 2012
    NY
    I think the CV50 has Alnico 3 pups and the CV60 has Alnico 5. This would make a difference in sounds more so than the neck differences.

4. Taurus

Taurus Squier Talker

Sep 8, 2018
    I think I would prefer the Alcino 5 after doing some research, but I was wondering the difference between Rosewood and the Indian Laurel on the specific guitar mainly. The CV50’s would be a different option.

5. cliffenstein

cliffenstein Squier Talker

Jul 22, 2017
    Sandston, VA
    Indian Laurel isn’t detrimental in the least for sound or feel, but some people (myself included) hate the way it looks.

CV50’s with rosewood fretboard would be very wrong and we should all be grateful that Squier didn’t attempt such a thing.

6. Shaytan

Shaytan Squier-Meister

Apr 10, 2018
    Lisbon, Portugal
    This:

[​IMG]

Jokes, jokes, but that's what I'd pick...

Caddy, jjudas, Archangelmm and 3 others like this.
  7. DougMen

DougMen Squier-Nut

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Before switching from the PV Series to the AO series, Fender offered a '59 Strat reissue with rosewood, as that was the year that all Fenders switched to rosewood from maple. So, Squier could offer a CV 50's Strat in maple and rosewood.

Taurus likes this.
  8. cliffenstein

Jul 22, 2017
    Sandston, VA
    An entire decade for one year? The CV50’s and CV60’s coincide with Fender’s CS50’s and CS60’s. They did it just right.

9. Mister Noonan

Mister Noonan Squier-Meister

Jun 28, 2018
    present
    A lot of ebony boards aren't truly as black and uniform as they appear, they are dyed. Wondering - should Squier take a poll of their audience and do something similar with Laurel?

10. Taurus

Taurus Squier Talker

Sep 8, 2018
    It is gorgeous

Kenneth Mountain and 1976teen76 like this.
  11. Taurus

Taurus Squier Talker

Sep 8, 2018
    That’s why I was wondering and asked this question... there seems to be negative reviews for the new Indian Laurel. I don’t know if it’s feel or looks that causes it but just wondered why people don’t like it.

If it is just looks then I don’t see why not they couldn’t just dye it.

12. mikm

mikm Dr. Squier

Jun 4, 2012
    NY
    It pretty much is just looks. Not any real difference between the feel of RW vs IL!

13. Archangelmm

Archangelmm Squier Talker

Nov 26, 2017
    Valrico, Fl
    This is the one I bought, a Classic Vibe 50's Strat, love Maple necks and could not be happier.

14. Taurus

Taurus Squier Talker

Sep 8, 2018
    For me personally, I absolutely love the look of that CV50’s, not sure which sound I’d prefer. I also love the look of the new Player Series, but not sure about spending about £500 on a guitar

Read that the Player and the CV60’s have Alcino 5 while the CV50’s has Alcino 3. Not sure which I’d prefer

Thanks Milkm :) didn’t know the difference

15. DougMen

DougMen Squier-Nut

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Fender made maple neck Strats in the 60's, too. There's no reason that they couldn't offer CV Strats, either 50's or 60's models, with either. After all, they're bolt-on guitars. They could bolt either neck to any color body, and slap either the Alnico 3 or Alnico 5 pickups in. ALL Strats made in the 50s and 60s had Alnico 5 pickups anyway, never Alnico 3s. So, the CV 50s is actually NOT factually period correct.

Kenneth Mountain and Taurus like this.
  16. cliffenstein

Jul 22, 2017
    Sandston, VA
    Well, the CV50 isn’t period correct for a whole host of reasons (fretboard radius, fret size, 12th fret marker spacing, neck thickness, pickguard thickness, pickguard bevel, pickguard middle bottom screw location...there’s probably more issues, but you get the idea). That being so, I concede your point.

The CV50 and the CV60 being the Squier “version” of Fender’s CS50 and CS60 is how it should be in my view.

Correction...Squier’s version of Fender’s CP50 and CP60 (Classic Player, not Classic Series).

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  17. whaynes3

whaynes3 Squier-Nut

Apr 3, 2011
    Port Charlotte Fl
    I thought that Indian laurel was a distant cousin to Sacagawea...

18. txflood

txflood Squier-Meister

Dec 10, 2014
    North Carolina
    This is an interesting claim that strats never shipped from Fender with Alnico 3 magnets. The Duchossoir Stratocaster book has a pickup spec table that seems to agree with you, however Tom Wheeler's The Stratocaster Chronicles disagrees by saying the first 1954 strats shipped with Alnico 3.

This site:
    https://www.theguitarmagazine.com/features/all-about-stratocaster-pickups/

has this quote:

The magnetic alloy also changed from alnico 3 on the very earliest ’54 Strats to alnico 5 from 1955 onwards. Alnico 5 continued to be used throughout the vintage era, but around 1974, Fender stopped using staggered slugs. Fender also flipped the polarity in 1959 to 1960, from north up to south up.

And Fender themselves seem to agree on Alnico 3 originally in 1954 in these articles:

https://www.fender.com/articles/gea...aster-the-1950s?sf56183102=1&tag=stratocaster

Other Stratocaster innovations included single-coil alnico 3 pickups with staggered-height pole pieces that effectively addressed the varying output of the heavy string gauges in use at the time, and a slanting output jack mounted on the face of the guitar rather than the side.

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/acces...gnature-stratocaster-pickups/0992248000.html/

The neck pickup is based on a '54 Strat pickup with oversized alnico 3 magnets.

19. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    All Fenders didn't switch to rosewood in 1959. In 1959 rosewood first became an option on Strats, but only as a custom order and at an added cost of course. It was a few years later until it was an option, but without the added cost. Due to them being newer and more expensive in the early and mid 60's they were unlikely to be be seen being used by local teen bands. In fact, I never saw one with rosewood being played by any local bands during my band days back in the late 50's through the early 70's. They still look strange to me for that reason.

The Jazzmaster and the Jaguar were the the only two Fender guitars to be made with rosewood from their inception and only offered that way back then.

duggerh and Taurus like this.
  20. nicod98

nicod98 Squier-Nut

Jul 9, 2014
    Belgium
    Rosewood has a lot of variation too.

I'm convinced that if they would have continued to use the same rosewood, but called it differently, people would still give negative comments. It's not as much the colour or the wood species, it's the idea of change.

Tried the 'Squier vs Fender' game a few times and people are full of prejudice. In one of those experiments I swapped Affinity pickups with a MIM Standard, and one of the first comments was "you can definitely hear that the MIM has far better pickups", by the same guy that called them junk at the previous gig. I didn't even tell him. I explained later to the rest of the people in the band why I left laughing at that point.

I'm convinced the same goes for rosewood vs indian laurel or pau ferro.

sinnombre and Taurus like this.